LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Red zone problems reared it's ugly head again. We need to run more play action QB waggle plays. When Carlos Rogers ran the interception back, I was shocked by the play calling.
I'm glad we pulled that off

but obviously we are NOT the same team when Cowboy isn't on the field ....hopefully he will be ready to go on sunday
So its all over the ESPN boards. Apparently New England was stopping the clock all through the 4th quarter last night and buying their team extra time. Anybody have the game recorded that could verify? I would be really curious to see if this was true. Several posters said the clock stopped at least 4 times when it was not supposed to.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
We beat the Patriots, at home, in December where they've lost a grand total of 1 game during that time period under Belicheck, and had won 21 straight games over the second half of the season.Yeah I wasn't happy we gave up that lead but let's have a little perspective here: let's just sit back and recognize how remarkable this victory is.

Besides this type of adversary will serve us well come playoff time. The way we responded to blowing that lead was amazing and is something that bodes well for the future.

this ^^ I would almost prefer that we win in this fashion, preventing arguably the greatest QB in the game from mounting a comeback win, rather than just blowing them out of the water. This win shows that we can face adversity against the best team in the league (not anymore :), in a clutch situation. Were there areas of concern? Of course, but overall a great win for this team!
Good win, I'll take it.

It WAS funny watching Brady screaming at the refs like a small child that didn't get the toy he wanted. Everyone saw the 49ers calling timeout, call down Tommy, lol.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm glad we pulled that off

but obviously we are NOT the same team when Cowboy isn't on the field ....hopefully he will be ready to go on sunday
???
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
So its all over the ESPN boards. Apparently New England was stopping the clock all through the 4th quarter last night and buying their team extra time. Anybody have the game recorded that could verify? I would be really curious to see if this was true. Several posters said the clock stopped at least 4 times when it was not supposed to.

I know one time before the punt it should have went off like 25-30 seconds (around 5 left i believe) and it didn't run at all. It was after a Brady sack so no way it shouldn't have ran. Hochuli (probably after jim chewed him out) took it down to 4:40 after the return which was like 10-15 seconds off but still 10-15 seconds short. To me it's amazing that in a billion dollar business and a game that comes down to seconds how willy nilly a clock can be ran. I believe they are nfl guys so no team alliance but I think there are high school games with more clock precision than the way these guys run it at times.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
???

Cowboy = Justin Smith
Originally posted by Eugene88:
Good win, I'll take it.

It WAS funny watching Brady screaming at the refs like a small child that didn't get the toy he wanted. Everyone saw the 49ers calling timeout, call down Tommy, lol.

Like people said if it was anyone other than Brady that's probably a 15 yard penalty. Any time you spike the ball (not in the end zone) it's a 15 yard penalty but maybe it can't be a delay of game because a timeout already happened. Still between that and yelling at the official if it's anyone else it's 15 yards. And yes half our D had their hands up well before the ball was snapped.
1) Not going to put too much emphasis on the slippage of the football on the snaps. Watched a few of the exchanges in super slow mo - rain at 35 degrees is a nasty, nasty thing (but Kaep still needs to practice this).

2) Goodwin's part: He had Wilfolk to deal with - one of the best NT's in the NFL. Tough task and aggravated the center exchange (see part 1 for the other reason)

3) Defensive play calling. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE prevent defense. As soon as the Coaches went to the 3 man rush in the middle of the third quarter, bad things happened. By the time they switched back, the momentum was completely in New England's favor.

PLEASE stop doing this too early.

4) Defense showed better depth - it was good seeing RJF get that sack. The switch to a bigger DE on the last drives clearly caused Brady to have to get rid of the ball quickly.

5) Offense. Not sure what to think about VD. Something has changed. The thing I have never liked about his game: He likes to catch the ball in stride and have big YAC. Sometimes, that's just not going to happen - stretch out and make a diving catch to move the chains or score!!!!!!!

6) Kaep. Don't like the way it happened, but the potential of this Kid is very high. Hopefully, he learns from a few of his mistakes (not seeing the Safety slide over on the interception in the endzone). He's starting to win me over as a long term answer at QB.

7) Special teams. By and large, I like LMJ receiving kicks/punts better than Ginn, but that drop (recovered) was concern (again: see point #1). No way would I cut Ginn though. Need the depth. Remember last year in the playoffs?????

Still a BIG BIG win (have to admit, I stopped watching the game when it got to 31-24. My heart couldn't handle it. Switched to the Zones thread on the game)

Watched the rest this morning when I knew the outcome and I wouldn't stroke out.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Like people said if it was anyone other than Brady that's probably a 15 yard penalty. Any time you spike the ball (not in the end zone) it's a 15 yard penalty but maybe it can't be a delay of game because a timeout already happened. Still between that and yelling at the official if it's anyone else it's 15 yards. And yes half our D had their hands up well before the ball was snapped.

The Boston Herald described it as a "a glance at the ref"... lol he was freaking out spiking the ball and screaming at them! ha ha
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I know one time before the punt it should have went off like 25-30 seconds (around 5 left i believe) and it didn't run at all. It was after a Brady sack so no way it shouldn't have ran. Hochuli (probably after jim chewed him out) took it down to 4:40 after the return which was like 10-15 seconds off but still 10-15 seconds short. To me it's amazing that in a billion dollar business and a game that comes down to seconds how willy nilly a clock can be ran. I believe they are nfl guys so no team alliance but I think there are high school games with more clock precision than the way these guys run it at times.

What I read indicated the clock is run by the home team...again not saying its true, just wondering aloud. If it is true, its something to be wary of.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US!
My comment after watching us beat a very good New England team? Why in the hell do the freakin' Rams give us so much trouble!!?? Got some extra gray hairs last night, but very happy we pulled it off!
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
We could've and should've ran the score up on them. That conservative play on both sides of the ball almost came back to bite us....

This.

Why the defensive game plan changed after halftime is baffling. Losing Justin Smith was a big deal too.

Roman's call to end the first half drove me nuts.
Share 49ersWebzone