LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ This is a powerhouse team when clicking on offense and defense. Yes on offense too (when clicking)
~ Our special teams worries me beyond measure and it will be our downfall in the playoffs I think. Just horrific at returning kicks and kicking FG's.

In fairness our punt unit was awesome and our KR unit bailed us out of the game. Kick coverage was solid. Akers did miss the FG but that wasn't indicative of our whole ST play.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ This is a powerhouse team when clicking on offense and defense. Yes on offense too (when clicking)
~ Our special teams worries me beyond measure and it will be our downfall in the playoffs I think. Just horrific at returning kicks and kicking FG's.

In fairness our punt unit was awesome and our KR unit bailed us out of the game. Kick coverage was solid. Akers did miss the FG but that wasn't indicative of our whole ST play.

They still let the ball bounce around by their feet and muff punts too. As we learned last year that tends to cost you.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
Was Justin Smith in for any of the brady comeback? I hope he is OK.

He was not
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
We got conservative and it almost cost the game
First of all, the lead should have been bigger than 28 points. The 49ers left a lot of points out there in the first half, that to me is a bigger concern than allowing the Pats to come back.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
1) That I need to start believing in Kaep like many of you have. Last night, he had pocket presence and some of his throws were on the money, something I know Alex probably wouldn't have even attempted. He had an INT, but that was okay, part of his inexperience along with the mishandled snaps.

2) The 49ers defense can play anyone, I mean anyone and shut them down if they needed to.

3) We can no longer depend on Akers. We all cringe now anytime he attempts a FG outside of 10 yards. He did seal the Pats game but 1 kick out of many other kicks that could have made a difference in the win column isn't enough.

4) The coaching staff has to stop being conservative with leads. The defense went into zone coverage when we were up 31-3 and Brady almost pulled a miracle. Even the announcers pointed that out.

5) Aldon Smith plays better with J Smith next to him. There was a stretch when Aldon kinda went invisible with J Smith out. Oh and Brady's comeback happened when J Smith was out of the game.

6) LMJ needs to be more involved and has been great in place of the injured Hunter. Just hope Jenkins can pick it up as well.

7) When Manningham returns, that just makes our offense even more unstoppable.

8) Moss has been a real asset to this team, and would not close the door to him coming back next season if he wanted to and at the right price.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Goldson's personal foul on Hernandez was a close call. It looked like Helmet to chin strap. I would have let it slide but I'm obviously biased.

It wasn't called helmet to helmet contact. The call was for hitting a defenseless receiver.

I liked the hit by Goldson. He's good for one of these a game where he just punishes someone for going over the middle. Without the hit Hernandez hangs on to that ball and likely the Pats gain more yards than they got from the penalty anyway.

That's a good point, because he would have made the catch anyway. The problem is, what if he MAKES the catch even though you hit him hard? Then you have to deal with a 15 yard penalty in addition to the big completion.

It's a hilariously bad rule. If the defender slows up before the hit, the receiver could run right by him. If the defender tried to wrap as he makes the hit, his helmet will almost certainly hit the other players helmet. If the defender doesn't slow up and leads with a shoulder, the hit is too hard and you get the penalty. There is almost nothing a defender can do in that situation. He either has to take a penalty or slow down and let the receiver make the catch.

That's what makes the call so awful. Hernandez WAS NOT a defenseless receiver. He had the ball in his grasp and he would have caught it if Goldson doesn't put a woo-lick on him. How can you tell defenders not to hit hard to dislodge the ball? It's ridiculous. If it was a helmet to helmet call, then fine, I understand. But in no way was Hernandez a defenseless receiver. You have the ball, you get hit. Is this not football?

Who cares, I will take that penalty every time if the results are that on the very next play Hernandez craps himself from fear of being hit and tips the ball away.
Originally posted by Baldie:
1) That I need to start believing in Kaep like many of you have. Last night, he had pocket presence and some of his throws were on the money, something I know Alex probably wouldn't have even attempted. He had an INT, but that was okay, part of his inexperience along with the mishandled snaps.

2) The 49ers defense can play anyone, I mean anyone and shut them down if they needed to.

3) We can no longer depend on Akers. We all cringe now anytime he attempts a FG outside of 10 yards. He did seal the Pats game but 1 kick out of many other kicks that could have made a difference in the win column isn't enough.

4) The coaching staff has to stop being conservative with leads. The defense went into zone coverage when we were up 31-3 and Brady almost pulled a miracle. Even the announcers pointed that out.

5) Aldon Smith plays better with J Smith next to him. There was a stretch when Aldon kinda went invisible with J Smith out. Oh and Brady's comeback happened when J Smith was out of the game.

6) LMJ needs to be more involved and has been great in place of the injured Hunter. Just hope Jenkins can pick it up as well.

7) When Manningham returns, that just makes our offense even more unstoppable.

8) Moss has been a real asset to this team, and would not close the door to him coming back next season if he wanted to and at the right price.

Agree with most of this.

#5. When we went into our prevent, Brooks was rushing, mostly. We were dropping Aldon back into coverage mostly. No idea why... What would possess you to have your best pass rusher dropping into coverage is beyond me, but there are many things the OC and DC do that baffle me sometimes.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
crabtree is a solid #2 option.

Crabtree is #2 WR??? Who's #1 ? He's on the verge of being the 1st 1000 yard 9er receiver since T.O.
What did I take away....

A huge win for our team...no doubt in my mind the signature win of the season.

Akers and Ginn both are done here. We may be forced to use them for the rest of the year, but I wish we werent.

Kap is a stud in the making, He certainly caused a lot of his own problems, but man he has off the charts ability.

God I hope Cowboy is ok for the playoffs.

Man it feels nice to beat Darth hoodie at home

You have to laugh at how much Brady whines when things dont go his way...did anyone else noticed he is allowed to spike the ball and throw a hissy fit in the field of play and not get called for it?

Lastly...I hope Coach learned his lesson about taking his foot off the gas too early...especially against elite competetion. I know you thought you were doing the sporting thing Jim...but the game aint over til its over.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Goldson's personal foul on Hernandez was a close call. It looked like Helmet to chin strap. I would have let it slide but I'm obviously biased.

It wasn't called helmet to helmet contact. The call was for hitting a defenseless receiver.

I liked the hit by Goldson. He's good for one of these a game where he just punishes someone for going over the middle. Without the hit Hernandez hangs on to that ball and likely the Pats gain more yards than they got from the penalty anyway.

That's a good point, because he would have made the catch anyway. The problem is, what if he MAKES the catch even though you hit him hard? Then you have to deal with a 15 yard penalty in addition to the big completion.

It's a hilariously bad rule. If the defender slows up before the hit, the receiver could run right by him. If the defender tried to wrap as he makes the hit, his helmet will almost certainly hit the other players helmet. If the defender doesn't slow up and leads with a shoulder, the hit is too hard and you get the penalty. There is almost nothing a defender can do in that situation. He either has to take a penalty or slow down and let the receiver make the catch.

That's what makes the call so awful. Hernandez WAS NOT a defenseless receiver. He had the ball in his grasp and he would have caught it if Goldson doesn't put a woo-lick on him. How can you tell defenders not to hit hard to dislodge the ball? It's ridiculous. If it was a helmet to helmet call, then fine, I understand. But in no way was Hernandez a defenseless receiver. You have the ball, you get hit. Is this not football?

Who cares, I will take that penalty every time if the results are that on the very next play Hernandez craps himself from fear of being hit and tips the ball away.
A 15yd penalty is okay if it makes the receiver think twice the rest of the game.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Agree with most of this.

#5. When we went into our prevent, Brooks was rushing, mostly. We were dropping Aldon back into coverage mostly. No idea why... What would possess you to have your best pass rusher dropping into coverage is beyond me, but there are many things the OC and DC do that baffle me sometimes.
They can't afford to be conservative next week against Seattle. If anything, Harbaugh needs to teach Pete Carroll a lesson.
Somebody stealing the thread from Marvin? :D
Kaep needs to stop fumbling when under centre. It happend way to often in these 5 games he's in. He needs to work on his reads, he tends to throw passes that should not be thrown he has at least two every game.

He has a short memory after mistakes is not afraid to cut it loose afterwards, thats very good.

As soon we go away from something thtat's been working we get punished on defence and on offence. Started beeing conservative way to early.

Roman needs to call a more consitent game.

Clock management was good, if I recall correctly no TO wasted on the playclock.

The defence showed up yet again when we needed it the most.

LMJ is exactly that what we needed when hunter went down, a speedy change of pace back.
If we can figure out how to get Vernon more involved while still keeping Crabtree's catches up too, our offense might become dangerous.
Share 49ersWebzone