LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i didn't think Goldson's hit on Hernandez was a personal foul, just good hard nosed football.
Kaep has shown yet again that Harbaugh made the right choice.
I was wondering why the clock didn't run at 5:01 left in the 4th quarter after the Pats ran a 3rd down play that stayed in bounds, then they punted.
Ginn is too indecisive on punts and causes his own trouble, but the weather was bad.
James is a great asset on kickoffs.
I am worried about Justin Smiths elbow---the Niner's post season success I think depends on his health.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
i didn't think Goldson's hit on Hernandez was a personal foul, just good hard nosed football.
I was wondering why the clock didn't run at 5:01 left in the 4th quarter after the Pats ran a 3rd down play that stayed in bounds, then they punted.
Ginn is too indecisive on punts and causes his own trouble, but the weather was bad.
I am worried about Justin Smiths elbow---the Niner's post season success I think depends on his health.

Yea, it was a clean shot from what I saw. It looked to me like his head snapped back due to the angle and force Goldson hit him with. I'd have to watch it again, though.

Agreed, Goldson's hit on Hernandez was not helmet to helmet. Can't believe they called that. I think the refs at that point were feeling sorry for the home team so they just threw the Patriots a bone.
Goldson's personal foul on Hernandez was a close call. It looked like Helmet to chin strap. I would have let it slide but I'm obviously biased.
49ers against the AFC East this year:

4-0, 147 pts scored. 50 pts allowed. Thats an average win of 37-13.
crabtree is a solid #2 option.
The Niners were a little gassed late. Brady threw 65 passes and had 29 incompletions. Welker didn't hurt us but I was amazed to see Lloyd with 190 yards. Wood-head hurt us on some third down plays. RayMac played lights out. I was looking for more out of Brooks, I was certain he was going to get more pressure but it didn't develop. Kaep should erase all his tattoos and have just one, "IT", he certainly has that in abundance.
heres the up side I feel to letting the Pats off the hook and the game being so close in the end:

There wont be over the top reports out there putting another target on our teams back. Thats the last thing we need.

The Pats got all the headlines heading into this game. It just doesnt work for us being the favourites. If we can go into every game as the underdogs we'd have a far better record but thats not how things are.

The boys will go into the Hawks game without the big headlines as the Hawks have also beaten the Pats so its game on.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Goldson's personal foul on Hernandez was a close call. It looked like Helmet to chin strap. I would have let it slide but I'm obviously biased.

It wasn't called helmet to helmet contact. The call was for hitting a defenseless receiver.

I liked the hit by Goldson. He's good for one of these a game where he just punishes someone for going over the middle. Without the hit Hernandez hangs on to that ball and likely the Pats gain more yards than they got from the penalty anyway.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I hope they learned not to go into the prevent with a 28 point lead.

Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Agreed, Goldson's hit on Hernandez was not helmet to helmet. Can't believe they called that. I think the refs at that point were feeling sorry for the home team so they just threw the Patriots a bone.

They didn't call him for "helmet-to-helmet", they called him for the new rule, "hitting a defenseless receiver".

Basically, the rule is, "You can't hit a receiver hard, immediately after he catches the ball." You can hit him softly and then tackle him, but you can't hit him hard. Believe it or not, that is essentially the rule; or at least, that is how they call it in a game.

That is what I have been saying about Goldson, his hard hitting ability is overrated because, well, you aren't allowed to hit hard immediately after a catch. Goldson should know this rule by now. If he doesn't, then be prepared to see a lot more penalties like this in the future.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

It wasn't called helmet to helmet contact. The call was for hitting a defenseless receiver.

I liked the hit by Goldson. He's good for one of these a game where he just punishes someone for going over the middle. Without the hit Hernandez hangs on to that ball and likely the Pats gain more yards than they got from the penalty anyway.

That's a good point, because he would have made the catch anyway. The problem is, what if he MAKES the catch even though you hit him hard? Then you have to deal with a 15 yard penalty in addition to the big completion.

It's a hilariously bad rule. If the defender slows up before the hit, the receiver could run right by him. If the defender tried to wrap as he makes the hit, his helmet will almost certainly hit the other players helmet. If the defender doesn't slow up and leads with a shoulder, the hit is too hard and you get the penalty. There is almost nothing a defender can do in that situation. He either has to take a penalty or slow down and let the receiver make the catch.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That's a good point, because he would have made the catch anyway. The problem is, what if he MAKES the catch even though you hit him hard? Then you have to deal with a 15 yard penalty in addition to the big completion.

It's a hilariously bad rule. If the defender slows up before the hit, the receiver could run right by him. If the defender tried to wrap as he makes the hit, his helmet will almost certainly hit the other players helmet. If the defender doesn't slow up and leads with a shoulder, the hit is too hard and you get the penalty. There is almost nothing a defender can do in that situation. He either has to take a penalty or slow down and let the receiver make the catch.

Seemed together in Hernandez's head on the next play at least
They didn't call him for "helmet-to-helmet", they called him for the new rule, "hitting a defenseless receiver".

Basically, the rule is, "You can't hit a receiver hard, immediately after he catches the ball." You can hit him softly and then tackle him, but you can't hit him hard. Believe it or not, that is essentially the rule; or at least, that is how they call it in a game.

That is what I have been saying about Goldson, his hard hitting ability is overrated because, well, you aren't allowed to hit hard immediately after a catch. Goldson should know this rule by now. If he doesn't, then be prepared to see a lot more penalties like this in the future.

Seems like he gets at least one of these every week. And truthfully, I can more than live with it. Not only because I don't want him to sacrifice his style, but because those hits by he and Whitner in the 2nd quarter clearly shook up those Pats receivers. It wasn't until Fangio went to the Cover 3 and 4 that the Pats began to comeback.

On another note...while I was super pissed at Kaep not getting the snap exchange corrected...that is something that is fixable in practice and on the side with he and Goody...

But I think Roman's playcalling has officially blown a gasket for me. I was flabbergasted at the run call on 3rd down with 8 seconds left in the first half. Previously confused at the run call that led to the Akers miss. The call for the swing pass out of the backfield that James pulled up on doesn't work if you don't have an inside receiver clearing the space and making the defense rethink coverage on the back. It was endless facepalming at times wondering WTF Roman was thinking up there.

As everyone always says...he's the coach so I should trust him...

Hey come on now... that is a direct attack on Goodell. The guy who claims this league is about safety but allows players to play without knee pads, thigh pads or hip pads...
Share 49ersWebzone