LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 15)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
even after he got sacked, he looked at the ref like, "why aren't you throwing a flag?" I think it was on a Macdonald sack. His arm brushed bradys' facemask. I'm sure he wanted a personal foul.

Ref couldn't call that after watching Ray Macs helmet ripped off
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
even after he got sacked, he looked at the ref like, "why aren't you throwing a flag?" I think it was on a Macdonald sack. His arm brushed bradys' facemask. I'm sure he wanted a personal foul.

Ref couldn't call that after watching Ray Macs helmet ripped off

I think it was on the other sack. I think RM had two, right? Anyway, yea it was b******t. Nothing that should've been called, but as soon as brady got up, he just glared at the ref like, "WTF?"
Head of NFL Officials says Delanie fumble was Wrong call, and they screwed up. Just on NFL Network.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Head of NFL Officials says Delanie fumble was Wrong call, and they screwed up. Just on NFL Network.

meh, he deserved it. fkn butterfingers.

they really need to change the rules...JH couldn't challenge according to the refs

Jeez how many plays have we been F'd over on this year?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I heard Eric Davis talking on KNBR and he said something very interesting. What if Goldson opted to hit Hernandez low, and Hernandez sustained a career ending knee injury? The NFL would be perfectly fine with that because players can't sue for knee injuries. Even though the result of the hit would be devastating, the NFL would tell Hernandez "tough luck, you knew the risks of playing this game, no compensation for you". The NFL doesn't give a flying f**k about player safety.

It was a good, clean, football play by Goldson. You can't tell players to not hit too hard. Goldson has every right to hit Hernandez and try to force the ball loose. If it was helmet-to-helmet contact, then fine. But that wasn't the call. It was for hitting a defenseless receiver. How can Hernandez be defenseless when he has the ball in his grasp?
Not even a grasp, Hernandez had the ball in his hands, that was a terrible call.

It wasn't a terrible call. It's the new RULE. Those are the new rules of the game. Blame the people who make the rules, but the refs called the play correctly.

the definition of a defenseless player......

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

so you are supposed to let him catch the ball THEN let him start running THEN hit him???

@ "has not had time to protect himself" ......... you're taught to get there at the same time as the ball.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf
(good thing to have downloaded)
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I heard Eric Davis talking on KNBR and he said something very interesting. What if Goldson opted to hit Hernandez low, and Hernandez sustained a career ending knee injury? The NFL would be perfectly fine with that because players can't sue for knee injuries. Even though the result of the hit would be devastating, the NFL would tell Hernandez "tough luck, you knew the risks of playing this game, no compensation for you". The NFL doesn't give a flying f**k about player safety.

It was a good, clean, football play by Goldson. You can't tell players to not hit too hard. Goldson has every right to hit Hernandez and try to force the ball loose. If it was helmet-to-helmet contact, then fine. But that wasn't the call. It was for hitting a defenseless receiver. How can Hernandez be defenseless when he has the ball in his grasp?
Not even a grasp, Hernandez had the ball in his hands, that was a terrible call.

It wasn't a terrible call. It's the new RULE. Those are the new rules of the game. Blame the people who make the rules, but the refs called the play correctly.

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

so you are supposed to let him catch the ball THEN let him start running THEN hit him???

@ "has not had time to protect himself" ......... you're taught to get there at the same time as the ball.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Yeah the NFL is pretty much saying let them catch it, then tackle, or play the ball.

No more kill shots. I saw we still do it for intimidation factor.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yeah the NFL is pretty much saying let them catch it, then tackle, or play the ball.

technically........ he was playing the ball........ it was just in AH's arms.

but if he did brace himself he's no longer defenseless it sounds like... per rule.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
they are reviewing the fumble by walker on NFL by their rules analyst.

They are saying its a blown call and he didn't complete the process.

technically........ he was playing the ball........ it was just in AH's arms.

but if he did brace himself he's no longer defenseless it sounds like... per rule.

haha can't play the ball like that. I meant before the catch is made. Attack the ball, not the player.

Its a bang bang play so its going to go either way, depending on the ref.
^haha no, i get what you're saying.

but even goodell talks about "making the same safer within the spirit of the game" (or something like that). Goldson's hit was within the spirit of the game and he didn't intend to injure Hernandez.

i agree with the people that say soon players are gonna start going for WR's knees.

but even goodell talks about "making the same safer within the spirit of the game" (or something like that). Goldson's hit was within the spirit of the game and he didn't intend to injure Hernandez.

i agree with the people that say soon players are gonna start going for WR's knees.

lol the "player saftey" angle is b******t.

The players have become a valuable asset and the owners need them protected. Also, they are in danger of losing billions in player lawsuits so now they are just protecting against liability for these types of suits.

"Player safety" is just a smokescreen to hide the fact that this is all about money. It always is.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
heath evans ripping the patriots right now lol

lol the "player saftey" angle is b******t.

The players have become a valuable asset and the owners need them protected. Also, they are in danger of losing billions in player lawsuits so now they are just protecting against liability for these types of suits.

"Player safety" is just a smokescreen to hide the fact that this is all about money. It always is.

i agree 100%.

where i work safety is a big deal also. so i can read in between the lines on what Goodell is saying and know it's a bunch of crap, because i hear a lot of the same stuff everyday also........

but yeah, i meant to put more focus on the "spirit of the game" part........ which is where i feel Goldson's hit was... or at least should be... legal.
Share 49ersWebzone