There are 147 users in the forums

IF YOU WERE ALEX SMITH WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Just keep being himself. He will get another chance, BET. Win the Super Bowl, hoist the MVP trophy, and then hold out for a fat contract. When the 49ers don't give it to him, go play for someone else. F this back stabbing franchise.

Really? You're going to say that about our franchise over one player?

One player? How old are you, dude? Do you have any idea how many times, and in how many ways, Alex Smith has been screwed over by the 49ers? It's organization? It's coaches? It's fans?

The cluelessness of some people is amazing. The guy deserves better than anyone associated with the organization has given him. And save me the paycheck BS - EVERY player in the NFL is "overpaid" for playing a "game."

If I were Smith, I would play my way into a huge contract, or bounce.

please list all of the ways this *horrible* *backstabbing* organization has screwed him?

any other team that had to draft him #1 overall, he would most likely be out of the league after 3 years...or at least not starting.

If you really need me to list these things for you, you're not a 49ers fan. Or you just became one recently.

Says the guy who says Alex Smith should hold out.

Marvin, you're one of the most respected posters on the board but what he says makes sense from Alex's point of view. The FO & coaches haven't given him any security as QB, so if he gets another opportunity he's gotta go balls out and win the title. Then the FO needs to give him his due with a big contract...

Even if he doesn't get another shot with the 9ers, and they still want to keep him as back up then if I'm Alex I still hold out. That money tied up in cap space is worth more on a guy that shows up therefore securing his release.

Then he signs with the Cards and he tears it up with Larry Fitz.

P.S. I'm really interested to see what happens with Sean Payton. I have a feeling Jerry goes after him and Payton looks for someone like Alex to be Brees 2.0

I couldn't have said it better myself...

You guys are both missing my point.

Questioning the fandom of peeps on this board is the worst argument I've ever seen. It's weak.

Of course bad stuff has happened to Alex here. Nolan was a joke and Sing was no better. That was never my point.

All I'm saying is that it's lame to question someones fandom and then make statements that a player should hold out to the detriment of the team.

Its really that simple.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. That poster couldn't remember anything this organization did to Alex, so rightfully, I called his fandom into question. Those are BASIC things about being a 49ers fan that ANY 49er fan would know.

Saying that I'm not a good fan because I would encourage Alex to hold out for more money, and comparing that to the example above is just, well, dumb.

No, he asked you to site examples. It may shock you, but there are many on this board that have a different opinion than you do over the chances that Alex has had. Most QBs that played like Alex would be out of the league right now.

Now I'm not saying I agree with that, I'm just saying that I think he was looking to find out what ofeences you were talking about. Your response was in effect, "wow....you must not be a fan or were born yesterday" because he had a different opinion.

I'm gonna stick up for just about anyone who has their fandom questioned. I've always been that way. If they weren't fans, they wouldn't be here.

Most QB's that have played Like Alex Smith the last 25 games would be making $20 million a season right now and be a starter.....

Most QBs wouldn't have had the opportunity to play the last 2 seasons because they'd have been run out of the leage 4 years ago.

that's not true, did you see Jason Cample play for chicago a few weeks ago? Looks around the NFL and you will see a lot of starters that are way worst then Alex Smith, then after you do that loook at all the 2nd QB's around the NFL........THE 49ers are very very lucky to have Alex Smith on the bench......
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."

You're really going to compare Alex Smith to Drew Brees?..
If I was Alex Smith... I'd take this to the QB discussion thread.
Originally posted by Cooper22:

There was no comparison between Brees and Smith.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."

Look at Brees' stats when he was in San Diego. Very similar to Smith. Who's to say Smith couldn't go to another team and have that success?
I wouldn't want this as a Niner fan ... but if I was Alex Smith I'd tell Harbaugh that if he doesn't put me back as the starter I'm done. They can suspend me, cut me, do whatever they want. The Niners would probably suspend and either trade or cut him. The Niners would be under tremendous pressure to go deep in the playoffs with Kaep, which they're probably starting to doubt right about now. Such a drastic maneuver wouldn't give Smith a bad reputation because everyone know what a hard working team player he's always been and how he kind of got jerked over. If anything, outsiders would probably respect him more for telling the Niners to stick it in their ear. If Harbaugh were to back down, which I can't imagine, Smith would get one more shot at winning a Super Bowl. He'll apparently need to win a Super Bowl to have any hope of retaining his job as the Niners starter. I think he's too nice a guy to do any of this. He'll probably "play" out the string and request a trade.
No you are not getting it. You're saying that someone who is merely present on this forum is a true fan. I disagree. If you don't know what this organization has done to wrong Alex Smith, you're not a true fan. That's my opinion.

I don't see any other reason why Jim would've put Kap in there unless he obviously thought this was the right decision for the TEAM. But no, you want this organization to do what's best for ALEX.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:

There was no comparison between Brees and Smith.

I certainly wasn't comparing Brees now to Smith now, hell no. I was talking about the situation. The Chargers went with youth over experience, and it has killed them. Looks like we're doing the same, albeit in the middle of a Super Bowl season lol, which is even dumber than the Chargers. That's hard to do.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I wouldn't want this as a Niner fan ... but if I was Alex Smith I'd tell Harbaugh that if he doesn't put me back as the starter I'm done. They can suspend me, cut me, do whatever they want. The Niners would probably suspend and either trade or cut him. The Niners would be under tremendous pressure to go deep in the playoffs with Kaep, which they're probably starting to doubt right about now. Such a drastic maneuver wouldn't give Smith a bad reputation because everyone know what a hard working team player he's always been and how he kind of got jerked over. If anything, outsiders would probably respect him more for telling the Niners to stick it in their ear. If Harbaugh were to back down, which I can't imagine, Smith would get one more shot at winning a Super Bowl. He'll apparently need to win a Super Bowl to have any hope of retaining his job as the Niners starter. I think he's too nice a guy to do any of this. He'll probably "play" out the string and request a trade.
This would actually be a dream come true because it would save everyone the trouble and hassle.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YoungWifey:
No you are not getting it. You're saying that someone who is merely present on this forum is a true fan. I disagree. If you don't know what this organization has done to wrong Alex Smith, you're not a true fan. That's my opinion.

I don't see any other reason why Jim would've put Kap in there unless he obviously thought this was the right decision for the TEAM. But no, you want this organization to do what's best for ALEX.
If it's the right decision for the team, then why doesn't Harbaugh just say that? Why is he still calling Smith his "starting QB?" Why is he sending him out as a captain for the coin toss?

If CK starts for the rest of the year I can see Baalke:

a) asking Smith to take a pay cut to be a back up;
b) trade Smith if they pick up his second year contract,
c) release him before they are stuck with the contract.

Alex Smith has options to:

a) play out his contract unless he is cut
b) sulk and pout and demand to be traded (can't see him doing that)
c) retire and go to graduate school...learn a useful trade...law? medicine?

If he is released he will have an interesting situation. How many teams will make an offer, and of those teams which would be most playoff ready? If there is a team with a good young line he should pick that team and ask them to draft receivers. Even though he doesn't have much control over his situation it's not as bad as being laid off by Del Monte.
I certainly wasn't comparing Brees now to Smith now, hell no. I was talking about the situation. The Chargers went with youth over experience, and it has killed them. Looks like we're doing the same, albeit in the middle of a Super Bowl season lol, which is even dumber than the Chargers. That's hard to do.

Oh really? Because you know, we had an opportunity to go to the Superbowl last season, what stopped us then?

Look at Brees' stats when he was in San Diego. Very similar to Smith. Who's to say Smith couldn't go to another team and have that success?

Brees carried a team with minimal talent to a superbowl.. I love Alex but he needed the best defense in the NFL and a very talented supporting cast to make the playoffs. I mean it's just my opinion, but from what he's shown in 8 years, I don't think he can lead a team to a superbowl that doesn't have elite talent around him.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:

I like the thought, I was thinking something similar. But it's an emotional move, and not in Smith's character. He'll do what he always does, the logical, calculated thing that isn't popular. And it will end up being the best thing for his team - his TRUE team, his wife, future kids, etc.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YoungWifey:

Oh really? Because you know, we had an opportunity to go to the Superbowl last season, what stopped us then?
Two Kyle Williams fumbles. Did you not have time to watch the game?
Share 49ersWebzone