LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 339 users in the forums

IF YOU WERE ALEX SMITH WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
If it's the right decision for the team, then why doesn't Harbaugh just say that? Why is he still calling Smith his "starting QB?" Why is he sending him out as a captain for the coin toss?

Because he's coddling that sensitive baby. That's one thing I don't admire about Harbaugh. Just come out and flat out call Kaep the starter and to make Alex go out there for a coin toss is just flat out embarrassing.
Two Kyle Williams fumbles. Did you not have time to watch the game?

I just love how people continue to use this as a reason why we didn't make even though the offense had MULTIPLE opportunities to score in that game.
[ Edited by YoungWifey on Dec 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cooper22:
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."

You're really going to compare Alex Smith to Drew Brees?..

Look at Brees' stats when he was in San Diego. Very similar to Smith. Who's to say Smith couldn't go to another team and have that success?

Brees carried a team with minimal talent to a superbowl.. I love Alex but he needed the best defense in the NFL and a very talented supporting cast to make the playoffs. I mean it's just my opinion, but from what he's shown in 8 years, I don't think he can lead a team to a superbowl that doesn't have elite talent around him.

The Chargers said the same thing about Drew Brees. You can't predict the future... Not saying it's going to happen, but you have to admit, the situations are very similar.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YoungWifey:
If it's the right decision for the team, then why doesn't Harbaugh just say that? Why is he still calling Smith his "starting QB?" Why is he sending him out as a captain for the coin toss?

Because he's coddling that sensitive baby. That's one thing I don't admire about Harbaugh. Just come out and flat out call Kaep the starter and to make Alex go out there for a coin toss is just flat out embarrassing.

Sensitive baby? The same sensitve baby that played through all of your boos the past few years? Come on, Smith doesn't need coddling. Put the kool aid down and look at Harbaugh objectively. He's a liar.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If CK starts for the rest of the year I can see Baalke:

a) asking Smith to take a pay cut to be a back up;
b) trade Smith if they pick up his second year contract,
c) release him before they are stuck with the contract.

Alex Smith has options to:

a) play out his contract unless he is cut
b) sulk and pout and demand to be traded (can't see him doing that)
c) retire and go to graduate school...learn a useful trade...law? medicine?

If he is released he will have an interesting situation. How many teams will make an offer, and of those teams which would be most playoff ready? If there is a team with a good young line he should pick that team and ask them to draft receivers. Even though he doesn't have much control over his situation it's not as bad as being laid off by Del Monte.

watch him walk into Arizona.....would not be good for us
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I just love how people continue to use this as a reason why we didn't make even though the offense had MULTIPLE opportunities to score in that game.

Both offenses had multiple opportunities to score. All offenses have multiple opportunities to score every game. They don't always score because there are people trying to stop them. Sometimes the people trying to stop them are really good, like the Giants.

If Kyle Williams doesn't fumble, we go to the Super Bowl. Not sure how you could see it any way else.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He is the definititon of professional. I dont see that changing no matter how many people tempt him.

This.

Alex never complained about Nolan's "we can win with a field goal" mentality even after he was literally forced to play with a grade 3 separation in his throwing shoulder (and required 2 surgeries to repair). He never complained about Jimmy Raye and his archaic offense. He never complained about Mike Singletary and his complete and utter lack of knowledge on how to manage the X's and O's of football. All Alex has ever done on this team was work hard and show that he can be successful with modern era NFL coaching. I personally don't think we've seen the limits of his abilities yet either.

Right now Harbaugh is giving up on 20+ wins in a season and a half to bet on unproven potential with huge upside. Alex won the game against New Orleans in last years playoffs and would have won the game against NY except for the return issues. He's already proven he can be a Superbowl calibre QB. Lets hope Kap can do the same.
I seem to recall a similar situation in San Diego. They kept the younger, inexperienced, more physically gifted QB, and let go of the older QB with a "weak arm."

You're really going to compare Alex Smith to Drew Brees?..

Look at Brees' stats when he was in San Diego. Very similar to Smith. Who's to say Smith couldn't go to another team and have that success?

Brees carried a team with minimal talent to a superbowl.. I love Alex but he needed the best defense in the NFL and a very talented supporting cast to make the playoffs. I mean it's just my opinion, but from what he's shown in 8 years, I don't think he can lead a team to a superbowl that doesn't have elite talent around him.

The Chargers said the same thing about Drew Brees. You can't predict the future... Not saying it's going to happen, but you have to admit, the situations are very similar.

Yeah the situations are very similar, but I just think that Harbaugh's brought the best out of Alex and Alex knows that. I don't think he'll leave before his contract is up

Both offenses had multiple opportunities to score. All offenses have multiple opportunities to score every game. They don't always score because there are people trying to stop them. Sometimes the people trying to stop them are really good, like the Giants.

If Kyle Williams doesn't fumble, we go to the Super Bowl. Not sure how you could see it any way else.

Bro, stop feeding the troll.

P.S. Alex threw 2 TD's that game
Sensitive baby? The same sensitve baby that played through all of your boos the past few years? Come on, Smith doesn't need coddling. Put the kool aid down and look at Harbaugh objectively. He's a liar.
He's a liar that gave Alex the opportunity to turn his career around and salvage it when nobody else would. Harbaugh has done way more for Alex than Alex will ever do for that man. The most Alex has done for this team is not lose and had the best two drives in his life. Harbaugh finally made the Niners (and Alex) relevant again.
[ Edited by YoungWifey on Dec 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM ]

Yeah the situations are very similar, but I just think that Harbaugh's brought the best out of Alex and Alex knows that. I don't think he'll leave before his contract is up

Norv is fired in SD and hired in Arizona (for instance). You don't think they might be a perfect match? Turner was building Smith into a good QB in year two. Just one of the many wild speculative possibilities out there!

Norv is fired in SD and hired in Arizona (for instance). You don't think they might be a perfect match? Turner was building Smith into a good QB in year two. Just one of the many wild speculative possibilities out there!

Or Greg Roman leaves for a Head Coaching job next year and takes Alex with him. Alex stays in the offense that he knows and continues his development..........

There is no point for Smith to stay if he sits on the bench. His goal should be to maximize his market value, which is to find a starting job somewhere else in 2013.

I'd be a very worried 49ers fan if that happens. Turner is a very good OC. He probably can fix the Cardinals OL quickly.
Originally posted by fastforward:
There is no point for Smith to stay if he sits on the bench. His goal should be to maximize his market value, which is to find a starting job somewhere else in 2013.

He tried that last offseason
Share 49ersWebzone