There are 286 users in the forums

So, are people still worried about Greg Roman leaving?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Very true. The only thing I would add is the red zone offenses of those teams are much better. This season our red zone offense is 22nd (50.98%).

Houston - 9th (57.41%)
Atlanta - 8th (58.33%)
Green Bay - 3rd (65.12%)

It's pretty much what I would expect since those three teams have their offensive players settled into their roles. With the QB change and injuries to key players, our offense is going through growing pains. Its unfortunate because if the consistency was there for a full season we might be talking about a team with a top ten red zone offense.

Just like last season....amirite.....amirite?

Pretty much. It's a good thing Balke overloaded the WR position in the offseason. I'd much rather have AJ starting this week than Brett Swain and Joe Hastings.
Good call Phoenix on Ault

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

He'd be a fine addition to the coaching staff or at the very least he should be hired as a consultant for a year,
"I have a lot left in me," Ault said. "I'm in my offensive prime. I feel good about where I'm at. My energy level is still very high. Whether I coach again, I don't know."

Ault is an innovative offensive mind who created a modified shotgun offense that he calls the "pistol," and he has a lot of admirers among the NFL coaching ranks. Those admirers include 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who traveled to Nevada to learn from Ault and has started employing a lot of Ault's concepts in the 49ers' offense, run by one of Ault's former quarterbacks, Colin Kaepernick.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call Phoenix on Ault

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

He'd be a fine addition to the coaching staff or at the very least he should be hired as a consultant for a year,

We should bring in him as a O consultant for the rest of the season...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
We should bring in him as a O consultant for the rest of the season...

LOL.
I'm as worried as Patriots fans are when they lose a coordinator. Which is ZERO, when the master mind is the coach IMO
If Kap is our QB next year, might as well get him used to the revolving door at OC.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If Kap is our QB next year, might as well get him used to the revolving door at OC.

I vote for Norv or Pat Shurmur. Norv will be a long-time coordinator, he's not going to be a head coach again. Shurmur would probably hang around for a couple of seasons until he got his next head-coaching gig lined up.
Hey, guys, in the 3rd qtr against the seahawks, JH had finally had enough , and out came the play card sheet. No more screwing around with roman trying to decide which play to call. Then today, after a woeful couple qtrs, once again JH brings out the play sheet on clipboard, and no mas Roman. This is exactly what I was trying to explain when we were looking at ericson, noln, BM, none of whom know anything about O playcalling, nor would they ever. So when their OC left they were screwed. HC HAS TO BE THE OC...so when you lose your "OC in name only" it isn't a big deal and the HC returns to calling plays. This is exactly what an OC/HC is all about. If you lose your OC, no big deal, the HC is already an OC playcaller. And that is exactly what you saw in 3rd qtr against PATs, and 3 rd Qtr against SEA. Today, playcalling sheet came out in 3rd qtr when we just couldn't get any O off the starting blocks.
I sure hate to see roman go...just hope the door doesn't kick him in the azz on the way out. Let him take his unimaginative playcalling elsewhere and let JH continue to call plays
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey, guys, in the 3rd qtr against the seahawks, JH had finally had enough , and out came the play card sheet. No more screwing around with roman trying to decide which play to call. Then today, after a woeful couple qtrs, once again JH brings out the play sheet on clipboard, and no mas Roman. This is exactly what I was trying to explain when we were looking at ericson, noln, BM, none of whom know anything about O playcalling, nor would they ever. So when their OC left they were screwed. HC HAS TO BE THE OC...so when you lose your "OC in name only" it isn't a big deal and the HC returns to calling plays. This is exactly what an OC/HC is all about. If you lose your OC, no big deal, the HC is already an OC playcaller. And that is exactly what you saw in 3rd qtr against PATs, and 3 rd Qtr against SEA. Today, playcalling sheet came out in 3rd qtr when we just couldn't get any O off the starting blocks.
I sure hate to see roman go...just hope the door doesn't kick him in the azz on the way out. Let him take his unimaginative playcalling elsewhere and let JH continue to call plays

I'd just rather have an experienced NFL OC. I think Pat Shurmur would fit well, and he and Harbaugh already know each other. Norv would be good with some modifications to the plays but still running the same offensive philosophy. I just don't trust Roman whatsoever when it comes to the passing game. As far as the running game, he has some great playcalls, but he also stubbornly clings to his particular gimmicks such as the jumbo set which generally is ineffective away from the goal line. Gore had multiple runs right into an attacking DL that saw the jumbo set and automatically knew that a run was coming.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]

I'm more than willing to start cold-calling colleges and setting him up with as many interviews as it takes to get him to go elsewhere at this point.

When can I has the feeling of again knowing that my favorite team has a competent offensive play-caller leading to exciting and unpredictable offense????

Huh?
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

I vote for Norv or Pat Shurmur. Norv will be a long-time coordinator, he's not going to be a head coach again. Shurmur would probably hang around for a couple of seasons until he got his next head-coaching gig lined up.

What about Ken Whisenhunt?
Under Jimmy Raye in 2009, the 49ers were ranked 22nd in passing.

Under Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson in 2010, the 49ers were ranked 18th in passing.

Under Greg Roman in 2011, the 49ers were ranked 29th in passing.

Under Greg Roman in 2012, the 49ers are currently ranked 25th in passing.

This is improvement?

lol

The niners are either 1st or 2nd in yards per attempt; meaning that everytime the QB steps back to throw the ball, they get huge chunks of yards. The only reason why they're ranked so low is because they run THE LEAST amount of plays for a game and their pass attempts are much lower than the average.
I'm more than willing to start cold-calling colleges and setting him up with as many interviews as it takes to get him to go elsewhere at this point.

When can I has the feeling of again knowing that my favorite team has a competent offensive play-caller leading to exciting and unpredictable offense????

Now people see why I was hoping that this guy would get hired elsewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone