LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Underrated development: Jewel Hampton promoted to the active roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The team had to bring Hampton onto the 53 this week or lose him for the rest of the year.

With the team's dependence on the run, Hampton is another insurance policy (mostly with Gore). I expect that the coaches are not sold on Jacobs (or Dixon) as Frank's backup. Now that Hunter is gone, the coaches are rightly reviewing and consequently restructuring the whole RB depth chart. Personally, I've seen Dixon run with more energy and desire in his few carries this year, but he lacks Frank's quick cutting ability. Hampton has the nearly exact size and style as Gore.

If Frank gets hurt, Jacobs and Dixon may get some carries, but Hampton may just go to the head of the class while LMJ would take up much of Hunter's role.

backing up Gore, it will be running back by committee in the beginning..They'll all get a chance ....Then Harbaugh will go with the "hot" legs
Wonder when we will see this guy? Anyone think he can take Dixons spot on game days?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Wonder when we will see this guy? Anyone think he can take Dixons spot on game days?

Maybe next year; don't expect anything this year. Either him or a draft pick will compete with Dixon next year. Not sure if Hampton has ever played ST but he will have to learn to.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM ]
Now that both Hunter and Jacobs are gone, Anthony Dixon and La Michael James have to step it up...I'd like to see the 49ers be more aggressive in getting this guy ready to play soon.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Now that both Hunter and Jacobs are gone, Anthony Dixon and La Michael James have to step it up...I'd like to see the 49ers be more aggressive in getting this guy ready to play soon.
i am totally fine with dixon and james for this year, whatever this kid can do, if he plays , is just gravy. with hunter back next year i really feel we will not have to spend any picks on running backs. draft a gore type of back after next year
There was a reason Jewel Hampton was elevated to the 53 man roster. Other NFC teams in the play off hunt and AFC teams in the play off hunt are RB needy. By signing him to the 53 man roster he is protected. This means Hampton was the best of the players on the PS.

I loved picking him up as an UDFA. Hopefully he will be the commentators favorite saying look how many draft experts missed on this guy for 7 rounds in the 2012 draft.
Dixon isn't going to the Hall of Fame, but he is a big guy, now runs more downhill, gets positive yards, does special teams, is an asset. Seemed better in all respects than Jacobs really, or at least as good and with a more positive attitude. I see him hanging around the game for awhile.
does anybody here think Hampton could maybe work his way into the mix this season. I have heard he could be very good and he spent all seaon last year with the team. what kind of runner is he? do you think he will get cut this year and if not is there anyway he becomes a part of our active game day roster?
does Hampton have any value on ST?
i dont know good question. I know a lot of people were stoked about him when he first got signed but have heard little to nothing on him since. If he does add ST value it would make him much more likely to stick around on the roster so that is certainly a good question any one know?

I personally don't think he is a diamond in the rough! Lol
What was he like in college?
The fact that the Niners are showing an interest in L Bell from MSU may not say a lot for what the Niners think of this guy. Considering how many other EBs are on the roster.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I hope Hampton takes over Dixons spot on the team, he is almost useless and serves no purpose on this team besides being a cheerleader.

My thoughts to but Dixon has become a ST stud so I'm kinda ifie about it ...
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I hope Hampton takes over Dixons spot on the team, he is almost useless and serves no purpose on this team besides being a cheerleader.

someone needs a hug
Share 49ersWebzone