There are 187 users in the forums

Underrated development: Jewel Hampton promoted to the active roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Pretty interesting prospect:

Article about picking the niners:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05/28/why-the-rb-rich-49ers-hampton-says-no-team-wanted-him-more/

"Niners were in frequent contact after he ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at his pro day"
"Hampton...set the Iowa freshman record with seven rushing touchdowns in 2008"

Scouting Report:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1159079-jewel-hampton-5-biggest-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-2012-nfl-draft-prospect

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S72MQW1JP0
Watched a few highlight videos after we signed him in April and liked what I saw. Might have something in him. Not sure I get the move though because we will likely have Gore, Jacobs, James and Dixon to run the ball. I still expect Gore to get most of the carries... a handful for Jacobs and maybe James. Not seeing Dixon geting much. Not sure why they brought up Hampton.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for reasonable1.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Watched a few highlight videos after we signed him in April and liked what I saw. Might have something in him. Not sure I get the move though because we will likely have Gore, Jacobs, James and Dixon to run the ball. I still expect Gore to get most of the carries... a handful for Jacobs and maybe James. Not seeing Dixon geting much. Not sure why they brought up Hampton.

Hampton kinda has a little Gore in him. As far as toughness, vision and ability to return from various injuries. He was a pretty good back at Iowa...may turn out to be a nice piece if needed.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Hampton kinda has a little Gore in him. As far as toughness, vision and ability to return from various injuries. He was a pretty good back at Iowa...may turn out to be a nice piece if needed.

Yeah, I remember when I watched it a few times I saw Gore in him.
With the little footage that I have seen, I've got to say that i'm impressed. Poor man's Thomas Jones or Larry Johnson. Has great explosiveness and fights for the yardage and has good speed.
Not saying he will or won't...but he's the classic case of a back who ends up making it because he possessed the necessary qualities and just had medical setbacks. Usually those guys don't last that long...but they are productive in the short time they do get to stay on the field.
One thing I am starting to love about the Baalke/Harbaugh partnership is that they have a great eye for the future. Next year Brandon Jacobs will probably be gone, so Hampton is getting the opportunity to audition for the role of big back. Jacobs hasn't really been used, probably because Gore has been so effective since he has been getting more rest this year. Of course, Gore doesn't have much time left and the two young backs (James and Hunter) are small, quicker types. Hampton could be a guy that steps in and takes over as the bruiser. He isn't THAT much bigger than the other two, but his running style is more power-based. Think about some of the other "future" plans that seem to be set up:

Moss -> A.J. Jenkins: Moss will probably be gone after this year and Jenkins gets to learn from the sidelines. Now, with Kyle Williams down, Jenkins will probably see some substantial time. Ginn's wrist injury and lack of production will probably keep him off the field during offensive drives, so Jenkins will assume Williams' 8-10 snaps a game.

Ginn -> LaMichael James: Ginn is a one trick pony. He is a solid return man with good hands (generally). Unfortunately, he never panned out as a WR. He will probably be gone at the end of the year, leaving a hole in the return game. James has been fielding punts after practice everyday to one day assume that role. Perhaps next week? We may see the future with Ginn's wrist injury putting a question mark on his availability.

Goddwin -> Kilgore: Remember last year how Boone was on the field for the "jumbo" packages? That experience paid off in a big way this season. Now Kilgore is seeing time in those packages and it opens up the possibility of letting Goodwin go. Goodwin has been very solid, but the team will need some salary cap room this offseason and if Kilgore can prove to be effective, the OL could get younger.
Not saying he will or won't...but he's the classic case of a back who ends up making it because he possessed the necessary qualities and just had medical setbacks. Usually those guys don't last that long...but they are productive in the short time they do get to stay on the field.

Didn't we draft one of those, who now holds the rushing records for the franchise?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Didn't we draft one of those, who now holds the rushing records for the franchise?

We sure did. Gore is truly an exception to that rule though. The team got more than they ever hoped for with Frank. But I don't forget that he was ahead on the depth chart above guys like Clinton Portis and McGahee...so that counted for something.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Gore had injuries, but he has lasted a long time.

The immediate question is can hJewel pass block.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM ]

That Miami Hurricanes team was ridiculously scary.
Originally posted by Karma:
One thing I am starting to love about the Baalke/Harbaugh partnership is that they have a great eye for the future. Next year Brandon Jacobs will probably be gone, so Hampton is getting the opportunity to audition for the role of big back. Jacobs hasn't really been used, probably because Gore has been so effective since he has been getting more rest this year. Of course, Gore doesn't have much time left and the two young backs (James and Hunter) are small, quicker types. Hampton could be a guy that steps in and takes over as the bruiser. He isn't THAT much bigger than the other two, but his running style is more power-based. Think about some of the other "future" plans that seem to be set up:

Moss -> A.J. Jenkins: Moss will probably be gone after this year and Jenkins gets to learn from the sidelines. Now, with Kyle Williams down, Jenkins will probably see some substantial time. Ginn's wrist injury and lack of production will probably keep him off the field during offensive drives, so Jenkins will assume Williams' 8-10 snaps a game.

Ginn -> LaMichael James: Ginn is a one trick pony. He is a solid return man with good hands (generally). Unfortunately, he never panned out as a WR. He will probably be gone at the end of the year, leaving a hole in the return game. James has been fielding punts after practice everyday to one day assume that role. Perhaps next week? We may see the future with Ginn's wrist injury putting a question mark on his availability.

Goddwin -> Kilgore: Remember last year how Boone was on the field for the "jumbo" packages? That experience paid off in a big way this season. Now Kilgore is seeing time in those packages and it opens up the possibility of letting Goodwin go. Goodwin has been very solid, but the team will need some salary cap room this offseason and if Kilgore can prove to be effective, the OL could get younger.

Couldn't agree more. I always laugh at the people who called our draft a bust, or Jacobs a wasted signing. It's called a contingency plan!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Gore 5-9 217
Hampton 5-9 219
James 5-9 195
Hunter 5-7 199

Jewel Hampton and Gore about the same size.

James and Hunter are about the same size. .
Originally posted by Karma:

Nice post and even better point!
I hope Hampton takes over Dixons spot on the team, he is almost useless and serves no purpose on this team besides being a cheerleader.
Share 49ersWebzone