LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Underrated development: Jewel Hampton promoted to the active roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The team had to bring Hampton onto the 53 this week or lose him for the rest of the year.

With the team's dependence on the run, Hampton is another insurance policy (mostly with Gore). I expect that the coaches are not sold on Jacobs (or Dixon) as Frank's backup. Now that Hunter is gone, the coaches are rightly reviewing and consequently restructuring the whole RB depth chart. Personally, I've seen Dixon run with more energy and desire in his few carries this year, but he lacks Frank's quick cutting ability. Hampton has the nearly exact size and style as Gore.

If Frank gets hurt, Jacobs and Dixon may get some carries, but Hampton may just go to the head of the class while LMJ would take up much of Hunter's role.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
That Miami Hurricanes team was ridiculously scary.

All about the []___[]
He doesn't dance around in the back field, which is nice to see. Runs hard and hits his holes quick.
Surprising, but in Harbaugh we trust. Kid must have some special teams ability.
Good post.

I'd also like to say goodbye to Dixon.

In JH/Baalke I trust.
RB is the one position where you can more easily plug in a UDFA and have him get results. Other than pass protection (which often takes time to learn), RBs rely more on instincts and raw talent than actual technique, experience, scheme, etc....so if he gets an opportunity to play, I like his chances of making an impact.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if this ex hawk gets more time and more carries than your number two draft pick, well,,, then i don't know
who knows we might have ourselves a Jewel..
[ Edited by CityKing415 on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

I'd also like to say goodbye to Dixon.

In JH/Baalke I trust.

I mentioned in another thread a 4th RB/Special teams guy to take over for Dixon next year would be a need for the draft but maybe Hampton is that guy. Wonder if he can play ST. side note the 4th RB was assuming Jacobs is gone so Gore, Hunter, James, Hampton/Dixon/Pick
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The team had to bring Hampton onto the 53 this week or lose him for the rest of the year.

Was another team trying to sign him?

Originally posted by btthepunk:

No, he was on IR if we didnt put him on the roster now then he would have to stay on IR for the whole season
I think the dude has potential but nobody should be excited right now. He's just taking Brandon Jacobs spot on the gameday inactive list.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

No, he was on IR if we didnt put him on the roster now then he would have to stay on IR for the whole season

Thats right. I was thinking he was on the practice squad not the PUP.
I think the dude has potential but nobody should be excited right now. He's just taking Brandon Jacobs spot on the gameday inactive list.

Stole my thunder!, this kid looks great, but he doesn't see the game day active list unless Frank goes down, then we may see a lot of him. This O-line, and blocking scheme makes Frank look 5 years younger, and it makes Hunter look like an all pro, I get the feeling that if Hampton is forced to play, we will be fine! But he aint even getting dressed.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Thats right. I was thinking he was on the practice squad not the PUP.

Just another heads up move by our FO and Staff. I love this team.

Perhaps Hampton will turn out to be a special teams beast. Or even more.
Share 49ersWebzone