There are 259 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who do you think is our best defensive player?

Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
A few years ago the answer might have been Derek Smith or Nate Clements

This is funny, but then I get sad . I can't believe how much the 49ers mediocrity was talked up by fans so they didn't just sleep through the season waiting for the draft.
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Donte Whitner- dude never misses a tackle

cant believe it took until page 3 to get this guys name on the list.

he kills people

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Donte Whitner- dude never misses a tackle

cant believe it took until page 3 to get this guys name on the list.

he kills people

Not that he isn't tops at his position. When talking about a defense like ours the competition is ridiculous. Easy to get overlooked when all 11 guys and even a few on the bench could make a pro bowl.
The HAWK..
Originally posted by ItouchMyself:
Justin makes Aldon great. Willis makes Bowman great. But Justin and Willis are the stars.

Not sure about the secondary. There are quite a few good players, but no contenders for best on the defense.

Agreed here, but Justin Smith also helps Willis do what he does. I would say that it's a toss up between those two.

If you think about it, our defense is about as sound as they come and it is because every single player compliments the next. Without Sop holding down the middle, our ILBs dont get through holes as easily. Without Justin and RayMac holding down the outside, Aldon and Ahmad do not break free as often (20.5 sacks between them). Without our OLBs causing chaos in the backfield, our corners don't lock down WRs and allow for Goldson and Whitner to roam around picking balls off and blasting guys across the middle.

The better question would be "Who is the worst defensive player on our team?"

It really is a beautiful thing to watch. Enjoy it now because we may never see a defense this good in SF again when these guys go away.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM ]
The Whole is Greater than the Sum of it's Parts.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
gotta be justin and patrick

smith is double teamed constantly and still gets pressure while freeing up aldon

patrick is damn near the perfect linebacker

This, with Bowman as the backup. I would put Willis first just because he covers sideline to sideline and can also cover down field if necessary--speed and power! Justin is just impossible to believe...looking at his arms makes me think is of another species.
Easy...JUST DONE. But really, it would have to be our front 7, maybe the best 7 guys EVER to play together.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I can dig this
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

double post
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM ]
i think whitner is the leader, Aldon and justin are the most dangerous and willis and bowman are the garbage men who clean up the entire field. this defense is probably the best 11 players whove been on the field at the same time. cant think of a more stacked defense
It's no doubt Patrick Willis. He went from being a blazing fast tackling machine that the whole defense was structured around and everything was funneled to him to make plays, into a multidimensional player that can blitz, tackle, cover, and do just about anything that you can ask of a defensive player. And still doing it at an All-Pro level. His numbers have dropped as we've acquired more talent and better coaching, but his level of play hasn't dropped one bit.

[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM ]
There are great players at every level. Patrick and Bowman are really really good, Aldon Smith might lead the NFL is sacks at the end of the year, the secondary is playing really well even in nickle packages. Hard to single any one player out, they are all doing their part at a high level.
1. Willis
2. J Smith
3. Bowman
4. Goldson
5. A Smith

You can always count on Willis to make the open field tackle, most consistent player. J Smith a seasoned veteran with a motor that never stops, Bowman is the jack of all trades, Golson scares people, A Smith's full potential has yet to be released.. love this D
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Willis, Bowman, Goldson. In no particular order. This defense is NOT THE SAME without those guys.

uh yeah!!!.............. you're naming half the starters.

The super elite ones.