LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 247 users in the forums

Who do you think is our best defensive player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Justin

He almost always has 2 blockers on him which helps Aldon BIG time.

Which is another reason we need to draft his understudy this year.
Not saying he's the best player, but Ahmad Brooks is one of the most underrated defensive players in the league, just because he plays of a team with so many defensive superstars.
Patrick Willis. Everyone else would look out of position without Pat cleaning up so many mistakes. He is so good stopping the run it allows us to play that shell coverage. We have outstanding players everywhere but im taking Pat. First game against Arizona on monday night he had 12(?) tackles and stripped Edge. From day 1 hes been the best player on our defense.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ItouchMyself:
Willis makes Bowman great.

Uhh, no. Bowman took over for Willis when he was hurt and there was no drop off. He was great without Patrick. Not to mention he outperformed Willis last year. Bowman is a great player regardless.
With Pat in there we didnt give up a rushing TD ALL YEAR. Id say hes pretty good. Bowman a step below in awareness but athletically hes right there
Best: Willis

Most important: Justin Smith

My favorite non-superstar: Culliver (I think he's going to be a shutdown corner one day.)
Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Willis, Bowman, Goldson. In no particular order. This defense is NOT THE SAME without those guys.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Willis, Bowman, Goldson. In no particular order. This defense is NOT THE SAME without those guys.

uh yeah!!!.............. you're naming half the starters.
Absolutely impossible for me to single out one specific player in a unit full of studs.

So instead, I will give props to an often overlooked player in Sopoaga. He's in there gobbling up double teams and keeping the big uglies off Pat and Bow so they can roam free and wreak havoc on opposing offenses.
Justin gets my first vote and normally that would be by a mile but with Patrick Willis on the team it is only by a hair. Aldon Smith with honorable consideration.
A few years ago the answer might have been Derek Smith or Nate Clements

Originally posted by HaiGuise:

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Justin Smith he is the reason our D is what it is.
If one I go with Aldon Smith.He gots 15 sacks break out season.Great D all the way around.Hes rookie season on top of that .
CSN is agreeing with us currently and giving it to Justin Smith.

Still

Aldon at 16.5 sacks is leading the league.... He would have shattered the rookie record last season if he played every defensive down.

Then we have our defensive quarterback Patrick Willis and how does he not get top honors?

The fact that there are 8 other guys that are top defensive players is staggering.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

This is funny, but then I get sad . I can't believe how much the 49ers mediocrity was talked up by fans so they didn't just sleep through the season waiting for the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone