There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

Smith is on track for more than 17-20 TDs this season.

Yep. 8.25 games he had 13 TDs, so 25-26 TDs was his pace.
[ Edited by captveg on Dec 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

Perhaps if he changes team his new team should consider getting a running back? Might be useful.

Not just a RB; but, they'll need a solid O-Line, a couple of Pro-Bowl receivers, a Pro-Bowl punter, and a star FG kicker.
And the stars have to be aligned lol
It only takes two teams to create a market for Alex. There is no chance the Niners just let him go. They will pay the roster bonus if needed. I bet you a team is willing to give up a first round pick for him. The draft is really weak this year for QBs.
Originally posted by WillBow:
It only takes two teams to create a market for Alex. There is no chance the Niners just let him go. They will pay the roster bonus if needed. I bet you a team is willing to give up a first round pick for him. The draft is really weak this year for QBs.

I have the same opinion. There's three teams that HAVE to be willing to part ways with something: Arizona, KC, and Philly. I think there are more teams than that.

But we'll see. I mean, if Smith could get a more lucrative deal if the 49ers are willing to release him (ie. give him permission to explore options before release) I can see the team going that direction.

There's no way the 49ers get more than a late 2nd for Smith. I think his trade value is in the ballpark of 3rd and 4th.

A more interesting scenario is a trade with a team that has a fairly good safety. Given the DG may not be a lock for next year, I could see a player for player trade before the draft.

If DG is gone, I could also see the 49ers making a play for TJ McDonald in the draft.
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]

The fact that the draft doesn't hold any top shelf QB prospects will certainly help raise Smith's trade value. There is no doubt that he will at least be worth an early 2nd rounder. Between the weak 2013 QB class and a very weak free agency pool, Alex should be several teams best option. This will be Baalke's first real test in the trading game. Let's hope he comes out a big winner!
Originally posted by goodthings19:
The fact that the draft doesn't hold any top shelf QB prospects will certainly help raise Smith's trade value. There is no doubt that he will at least be worth an early 2nd rounder. Between the weak 2013 QB class and a very weak free agency pool, Alex should be several teams best option. This will be Baalke's first real test in the trading game. Let's hope he comes out a big winner!

Yep!
Originally posted by goodthings19:

The problem with the "early second rounder" theory is that most likely a team that would be interested in Smith and drafting that low, would select a QB in the draft over trading for smith.

Remember, there's still a lot of idiots that believe Matt Barkley is worth a first rounder. I'm positive, after the combine, that there will be a slue of QB's not worth a 3rd or 4th round going in the first and second.

It happened to the 49ers when Nolan was hired
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Geeked:
I have the same opinion. There's three teams that HAVE to be willing to part ways with something: Arizona, KC, and Philly. I think there are more teams than that.

But we'll see. I mean, if Smith could get a more lucrative deal if the 49ers are willing to release him (ie. give him permission to explore options before release) I can see the team going that direction.

There's no way the 49ers get more than a late 2nd for Smith. I think his trade value is in the ballpark of 3rd and 4th.

A more interesting scenario is a trade with a team that has a fairly good safety. Given the DG may not be a lock for next year, I could see a player for player trade before the draft.

If DG is gone, I could also see the 49ers making a play for TJ McDonald in the draft.

I agree dude, but don't underestimate what we could get for Smith. No chance it's lower than a 2nd which may turn into a 1st with performance clauses. I do like the safety senerio but I think we do resign DG or we may just franchise him again, though I highly doubt it.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Hers my opinion on Alex, we release him he's been a class act and deserves to be released.

If I were Alex Smith, I'd demand to be released after the season no matter what the outcome (yes, even with the scenario Smith takes the 49ers to the SB.)
Hers my opinion on Alex, we release him he's been a class act and deserves to be released.

Not likely to happen
Alex will have trade value if he restructures his contract. I wonder if the 49er brass would be willing to find a suitor of his choice and price of the team that would be interested.
Originally posted by fister30:
Alex will have trade value if he restructures his contract. I wonder if the 49er brass would be willing to find a suitor of his choice and price of the team that would be interested.

Why would he want to renegotiate his contract when he has a better market value as a free agent?
Fitzgerald for Alex smith straight up!
Originally posted by fastforward:

If I were Alex Smith, I'd demand to be released after the season no matter what the outcome (yes, even with the scenario Smith takes the 49ers to the SB.)

If I were Alex Smith; I'd thank the lucky stars I had a competent coaching staff that propelled me to a starting job on another team........ instead of having an incompetent coaching staff that would have me playing second string for the league minimum and a one year deal ON ANOTHER TEAM.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Fitzgerald for Alex smith straight up!

Can't happen, LF contract is WAY too rich for the 49ers. Not that 49ers couldn't shoulder that cost, it's just the cost doesn't fit in to where the 49ers need to spend their money.