There are 192 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

Perhaps if he changes team his new team should consider getting a running back? Might be useful.

Not just a RB; but, they'll need a solid O-Line, a couple of Pro-Bowl receivers, a Pro-Bowl punter, and a star FG kicker.
Alex needs a good defense to be successful. He is productive when the games are close, but if they get out of hand he tries to do too much and makes mistakes. To be honest Im guessing only defensive coaches like Alex as an option, I cant see offensive coaches looking at his tape and getting too excited. A coach like Rex Ryan would love Alex because it would help him showcase his ego through his defense without worrying about too many offensive mistakes.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

Perhaps if he changes team his new team should consider getting a running back? Might be useful.

Not just a RB; but, they'll need a solid O-Line, a couple of Pro-Bowl receivers, a Pro-Bowl punter, and a star FG kicker.

And a coach who played the position
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

And a coach who played the position
True.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Blizzuntz, I qualified my remark about alex with your admonitions, requiring good or great OL, good corps of WRs. If I didn't do it in this thread, I have noted that in others. Funny, the old adage, "lines build NFL teams" and OL before DL. But both are important. NFL teams are intent on drafting the skilled ball handlers, most of the high picks going to ball guys, (RBs, TEs, WRs, QBs). It is amazing how many teams , time and again fail to draft an OL to protect that first rd QB. We did it ourselves with alex....and NO OL. He performed exactly like one would imagine with no OL. Other hi draft pick QBs also have gone to teams needing QBs, but needing OL moreso. IN the last two yrs, we have seen a run on OL and DL players, not just the ball handling guys. Our team started to be built when we got staley, AD and upati. Same goes for DL which was very mediocre prior to 3 yrs ago.

So yes, alex will go to a team with a great OL, and if he doesn't make a great OL part of the package he is nuts. Alex is smart, and he is not going to a team with a lousy OL. WRs already established would help too. The statement that "hopefully alex will bring a 2nd rd pick" are so far off the mark it is funny. Just way too many teams out there, all mentioned above in thread, in dire need of a 70% completion passer. But they darn well better have a great OL to tempt him.

Our offensive line in addition to Vernon and Delanies beast blocking, makes the run game dominant most of the time. Defenses have to respect the front line. Other teams know it and we know it, and we still smother them.
sometimes....not all the time

When we don't, smith struggles
Hers my opinion on Alex, we release him he's been a class act and deserves to be released.
Rivers has peaked in my opinion and is on his way down. If Norv gets the boot, and he should, his replacement could do a lot worse than cutting Rivers (don't know the salcap. Implications), picking up Smith and looking to draft a high pick Spring 2014. 2013 draft doesn't look much at qb I hear.

Rivers is to earn $16-17 million in 2013 (including close to $4 million already paid for). That's a lot of money for a team that will be in rebuilding mode.

Smith is on track for more than 17-20 TDs this season.
looks like Smith won't get to 3000 yards.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Flacco is the worst QB to have... He has done enough to probably get a big contract, but might not ever be able to take them to a Superbowl.

Likely not, wouldn't be shocked to see them take a look at someone in the draft next year......as a "backup" at first of course.

It'd strange for the Ravens to re-sign Flacco to a huge deal then try to find his potential replacement. The signing bonus and upfront money can tie them to him for years.

Originally posted by fastforward:

Smith is on track for more than 17-20 TDs this season.

Yep. 8.25 games he had 13 TDs, so 25-26 TDs was his pace.
[ Edited by captveg on Dec 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

And the stars have to be aligned lol
It only takes two teams to create a market for Alex. There is no chance the Niners just let him go. They will pay the roster bonus if needed. I bet you a team is willing to give up a first round pick for him. The draft is really weak this year for QBs.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillBow:
It only takes two teams to create a market for Alex. There is no chance the Niners just let him go. They will pay the roster bonus if needed. I bet you a team is willing to give up a first round pick for him. The draft is really weak this year for QBs.

I have the same opinion. There's three teams that HAVE to be willing to part ways with something: Arizona, KC, and Philly. I think there are more teams than that.

But we'll see. I mean, if Smith could get a more lucrative deal if the 49ers are willing to release him (ie. give him permission to explore options before release) I can see the team going that direction.

There's no way the 49ers get more than a late 2nd for Smith. I think his trade value is in the ballpark of 3rd and 4th.

A more interesting scenario is a trade with a team that has a fairly good safety. Given the DG may not be a lock for next year, I could see a player for player trade before the draft.

If DG is gone, I could also see the 49ers making a play for TJ McDonald in the draft.
[ Edited by Geeked on Dec 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by WillBow:

The fact that the draft doesn't hold any top shelf QB prospects will certainly help raise Smith's trade value. There is no doubt that he will at least be worth an early 2nd rounder. Between the weak 2013 QB class and a very weak free agency pool, Alex should be several teams best option. This will be Baalke's first real test in the trading game. Let's hope he comes out a big winner!
Share 49ersWebzone