There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Teams are going to be lining up to trade for him.. Like they were last year when they could have just signed him... Oh wait....
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Early i saw Peter King on NBC Sports say Alex Smith was going to be a more sought after QB then Vick and he expects Alex to request a trade after the season.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Early i saw Peter King on NBC Sports say Alex Smith was going to be a more sought after QB then Vick and he expects Alex to request a trade after the season.

I don't think Alex will need to request. DG needs to be signed and trading Alex frees up a good amount of cap space.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think Turner is destined for a College position. Teams can't ignore the whole "one and done" move he pulled with the 49ers. He's going to bolt for a HC job as soon as one pops up. However, I don't blame him for taking the Chargers HC job. Anyone with a brain in their head would've done the same thing in his position. Not as bad as the whole Kiffin Tennessee thing but very similar circumstances. Everyone understands, would do the same thing, but will never forgive.

Turner won't have another chance as a head coach. He was bad in Washington DC. He was bad in Oakland. He was mediocre in San Diego despite having a good team ready made for him. He won't get another chance as a head coach. People will forgive him for leaving the 49ers high and dry when there was better opportunity. There have been worse betrayals than that. He'll get another OC job.
[ Edited by fastforward on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Teams are going to be lining up to trade for him.. Like they were last year when they could have just signed him... Oh wait....

Last year was very different than this coming year. There are no Luck, RGIII, or even Tannehill in 2013 draft. Any team with any hope of contending for the division crown will want a veteran. If Smith can bring 3 more victories to a team like the Cardinals - I think he can as many games were close even with Skelton as QB, they will be right smack in the middle of a run for the division.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
last year, no one thought much of Alex...it was all because of Harbaugh and scheme. But if it were just scheme, other teams would adjust and this season Alex would look worse..instead, he has done more. People are starting to realize that he has talent. Maybe Kaep has more, but Alex has enough to take a good team far. And there are good teams that just need a QB...Alex will be fine there.

Can't really adjust to a guy who willingly takes sacks and makes a living off underneath passing. I'm not trying to put down Alex, but teams don't exactly fear him. They fear our running game a hell of a lot more than they fear Alex Smith.

I think a good amount of Alex Smith's turnaround is due to coaching and system. That said, he has done well at doing what has been asked of him. There are other QB's in QB friendly systems who have floundered so I give Alex Smith a good amount of credit there.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Last year was very different than this coming year. There are no Luck, RGIII, or even Tannehill in 2013 draft. Any team with any hope of contending for the division crown will want a veteran. If Smith can bring 3 more victories to a team like the Cardinals - I think he can as many games were close even with Skelton as QB, they will be right smack in the middle of a run for the division.

And I've always wondered.... let's say Smith goes to an NFC West team like the Cardinals and we end up playing against him twice per year. Who here would actually fear him?
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
And I've always wondered.... let's say Smith goes to an NFC West team like the Cardinals and we end up playing against him twice per year. Who here would actually fear him?

The question isn't really whether or not the 49ers defense would fear Smith. The real question is whether or not he'll win enough to make winning the division more difficult for the 49ers. Nobody really feared Aikman back in the heydays of the '90s Cowboys. Yet the combination of Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and the Cowboys OL caused enough headaches for DCs. The Cardinals is a mess right now, but all it takes is a draft class.
Originally posted by Jcool:

He will be cut. I agree that Alex will get more looks this coming off season than last time. Like someone mentioned...last off season Smith was still viewed negatively and still had the "ONLY successful in Harbaugh's system as a game manager..." but it's clear he has gotten better. Sure he's no world beater but he's definitely a solid QB and that started before Harbaugh got here (see the games since "the booing").

People who think Alex will "be lucky to be a back up somewhere" are off base. Does anyone really think there aren't at least 3 or 4 teams that could use a 15-20 TD 5-10 INT 3000-3700 yards type of QB? Again...not a guy who will put the team on his back every week but a guy who won't lose games for you and can make the plays when he needs to.

Alex isn't as good as some think but he's also not nearly as bad as some think either. I can't imagine the Browns, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Jags, Bills, and/or the Jets not at least consider Alex Smith a better option than their current starter(s) or at least viable alternative via a "camp battle."

I think Alex can immediately start on the following teams:

Chiefs - he would suck here though. This would be the worst move IMO.

Eagles - depends on what happens with their coaching situation. The talent is there offensively and what they need is a smart QB who can actually read a defense. Alex is no Vick but that's also a good thing.

Jets - People like to compare Smith to Sanchez and it's a fair comparison to a certain extent but at this point..I bet there are more Jets fans that would prefer Smith over Sanchez. Sanchez crumbles and makes awful decisions. Again..Alex isn't a gun slinger but he's also not going to give games away the way Sanchez has. Sanchez = Alex Smith 2007-2009.

Team where Smith is a viable alternative (i.e. compete for the starting gig):

Raiders - Palmer isn't the guy he used to be and even though he's putting up numbers it's because they're always playing from 21-0. IF the Raiders can get an O-line, a decent run game, and re tool their defense...well then I guess they'd just keep Palmer lol..BUT...Alex could be brought in as nice insurance. Palmer isn't getting any younger.

Jags - Gabbert may not be the answer and Henne isn't the long term answer. Alex could be brought in to compete.

Browns - Alex is younger than Weeden and he's a better QB.

Bills - I know the Bills are financially committed to Fitzpatrick but he's not playing to the level they want. Alex can compete for the gig.
[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM ]
The question isn't really whether or not the 49ers defense would fear Smith. The real question is whether or not he'll win enough to make winning the division more difficult for the 49ers. Nobody really feared Aikman back in the heydays of the '90s Cowboys. Yet the combination of Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and the Cowboys OL caused enough headaches for DCs. The Cardinals is a mess right now, but all it takes is a draft class.

I pretty much feared that entire Cowboys offense, and yes Aikman & Irvine too. Hell even their offensive line was ridiculous.

BTW, Smith would get crushed by the 49ers defense.
[ Edited by USArmyParatrooper on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM ]

Exactly. Last year was a s**tty time for a FA QB...let alone a FA QB who was still viewed more negative than positive. This year the QB class is looking weak...and ironically..like 2005...Alex may find himself being the "best QB available" by default.

Here are the other FA QBs...

Derek Anderson
Charlie Batch
Jason Campbell
Chase Daniel
Trent Edwards
Joe Flacco (he's not going anywhere)
Bruce Gradkowski
Rex Grossman
Brian Hoyer
Tavaris Jackson
Byron Leftwich

I just don't see how other teams would not take a look at Alex compared to these guys.

As far as college...

Tyler Wilson?
Barkely?
Geno Smith?
...?
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

I pretty much feared that entire Cowboys offense, and yes Aikman & Irvine too. Hell even their offensive line was ridiculous.

BTW, Smith would get crushed by the 49ers defense.

He could but he's also been practicing against them for the last 2 years. Out of any QB...he would know their tendencies in and out.

Then again....they would know his too. Would be interesting to say the least. But yeah...I trust our defense to crush just about any QB.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Exactly. Last year was a s**tty time for a FA QB...let alone a FA QB who was still viewed more negative than positive. This year the QB class is looking weak...and ironically..like 2005...Alex may find himself being the "best QB available" by default.

Here are the other FA QBs...

Derek Anderson
Charlie Batch
Jason Campbell
Chase Daniel
Trent Edwards
Joe Flacco (he's not going anywhere)
Bruce Gradkowski
Rex Grossman
Brian Hoyer
Tavaris Jackson
Byron Leftwich

I just don't see how other teams would not take a look at Alex compared to these guys.

As far as college...

Tyler Wilson?
Barkely?
Geno Smith?
...?

Wow, that guy's still around. This is a crummy class.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
He will be cut. I agree that Alex will get more looks this coming off season than last time. Like someone mentioned...last off season Smith was still viewed negatively and still had the "ONLY successful in Harbaugh's system as a game manager..." but it's clear he has gotten better. Sure he's no world beater but he's definitely a solid QB and that started before Harbaugh got here (see the games since "the booing").

People who think Alex will "be lucky to be a back up somewhere" are off base. Does anyone really think there aren't at least 3 or 4 teams that could use a 15-20 TD 5-10 INT 3000-3700 yards type of QB? Again...not a guy who will put the team on his back every week but a guy who won't lose games for you and can make the plays when he needs to.

Alex isn't as good as some think but he's also not nearly as bad as some think either. I can't imagine the Browns, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Jags, Bills, and/or the Jets not at least consider Alex Smith a better option than their current starter(s) or at least viable alternative via a "camp battle."

I think Alex can immediately start on the following teams:

Chiefs - he would suck here though. This would be the worst move IMO.

Eagles - depends on what happens with their coaching situation. The talent is there offensively and what they need is a smart QB who can actually read a defense. Alex is no Vick but that's also a good thing.

Jets - People like to compare Smith to Sanchez and it's a fair comparison to a certain extent but at this point..I bet there are more Jets fans that would prefer Smith over Sanchez. Sanchez crumbles and makes awful decisions. Again..Alex isn't a gun slinger but he's also not going to give games away the way Sanchez has. Sanchez = Alex Smith 2007-2009.

Team where Smith is a viable alternative (i.e. compete for the starting gig):

Raiders - Palmer isn't the guy he used to be and even though he's putting up numbers it's because they're always playing from 21-0. IF the Raiders can get an O-line, a decent run game, and re tool their defense...well then I guess they'd just keep Palmer lol..BUT...Alex could be brought in as nice insurance. Palmer isn't getting any younger.

Jags - Gabbert may not be the answer and Henne isn't the long term answer. Alex could be brought in to compete.

Browns - Alex is younger than Weeden and he's a better QB.

Bills - I know the Bills are financially committed to Fitzpatrick but he's not playing to the level they want. Alex can compete for the gig.

Raiders - Palmer has had a pretty good season without a running game. Is Alex Smith really an upgrade? I don't think so
Jags - I don't see Smith being an upgrade on Henne. If Henne goes elsewhere, then I can see Smith signing there.
Browns - Weeden has been getting better, I don't see them going after Smith unless it's to be a backup and possible starter
Bills - Maybe, but they have too much money committed to Fitz. Their defense is very weak so they'll need a QB who can put up points.
Alex Smith will be a starter somewhere, that is a fact. I know i had said 11 teams (that is obviously an exaggeration)

Chiefs 100% need a QB
Eagles are not going to go with Smith. Vick sells to many tickets
Browns 100% need a QB - Alex is younger and better than Weeden- Browns are built like the niners (to some extent)- win with their defense
Cardinals 100% need a QB
Tennesse needs a QB