LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Lots of instances where coaches take players from there former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.

Yes but how does this translate into a 2nd round pick?

A 2nd round pick is so valuable to teams cap situation bc they get paid less than $600,000 for 3 years...... Alex Smith is due $8, 500, 000 next year.
8.5 for a starter is CHEAP.

This. When a guy like Flacco is demanding elite money (> $14 million/year), $8.5 million is dirt cheap for a QB with 70% completion rate.

No one expects to get 70% completion percentage from Smith anywhere but here with this team.

If someone thought otherwise, he would be getting elite money as well.
TRUE Niners fans! stop being jaded by what is happening to our team! this is a BUSINESS first! the coach has to win NOW! and whatever he does is geared toward that end! and remember, he is the coach and has to make decisions, calls, adjustments, moves to get this team to its highest potential to WIN. and to win what? a SUPERBOWL! now, there is not one of us who is the coach of this team. we all HAD to sit and watch Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary put this team on a merry go round and get absolutely nothing out of all these 1st round draft choices. Jim Harbaugh has come in and transformed these men into championship players and save for two fumbles in the nfccg, that is where the SF 49ers are standing today. and remember, Harbaugh is the one who asked Alex Smith to stay and gave him hope and something to play for. all you bandwagoners, STFU! true Niners fans, know this: this is the best team in the NFL and regardless of who is playing qb, the superbowl is ours for the taking (especially if CK7 is behind center).
[ Edited by NinerTy on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM ]
Saints would take him
oh,and by the way, Alex S does have trade value. there is a qb starved team out there that will absolutely give us a 2nd for Alex and maybe even more. any football fan knows there has been worse.
There are a few teams that if I were the GM, I'd take a serious look at him. Kansas City is one that comes to mind. Considering they will have the number 1 pick, if they had a QB like Alex Smith, that would free them to look at some other positions with the number 1 or 2 overall pick they will have. My only concern is that I wouldn't want Smith under another defensive minded HC. If he ended up in San Diego, he could give Phillip Rivers a push. You also have to remember, it was the same offense he was in during year 2. The Raiders could take a look at him. If I am Arizona, I'd dump every QB on the roster and make a run at Smith. The Cowboys would be wise to do the same. Honestly, Dallas would be a playoff team if they had Smith at QB. There are some more teams that I could name, but they have been mentioned in earlier posts.

The fact is, a team would be in a pretty good position to get a efficient smart QB that will not turn the ball over. You also wouldn't have to break the bank to pay him which would leave a lot of cap space to spend on other positions.

Ultimately, I think what happens with Alex Smith in the off season is dependent on what happens with Dashon Goldson and his contract situation.
I don't believe Alex will be traded. I hope he is, but it is far more likely that he hits fa.
There are at least three or four teams that will approach Smith with starter in mind. He's proven himself. He's the fifth highest rated QB in the league right now. Right now there are quite a few teams who wish he were starting for them. And, if Kaepernick gets injured or goes south, Smith will absolutely step right back in and play his heart out even if just to demonstrate to the rest of the NFL that they should be interested in hiring him. He's more than demonstrated his professionalism and his toughness over athe years.

But, why are some posters under the impression that Kaepernick hasn't already faced two tough D's. The Bears are a tough defense. The Saints are rated low, but that's mainly because of their slow start and their defense in away games. Their defense is highly aggressive and unpredictable, especially when playing in the Superdome. I agree that it's only been a couple games, but they've been pretty profound demonstrations and the two games were completely different situations.
Gnielsen, I get your point, but neither the rams nor the Saints(without their HC, and a nicked up D) are markers against which you can compare how well someone
(KAP) plays. Some of you get me wrong. i am for the 9ers. I pull for the 9ers to win, have no favorites, and want the best guy at Qb. Right now it is a bit hard for me to see how Kap's extraordinary play in 1.5 games is enough to make him a starter, when alex's stats and W/L record make him the 5th best Qb in the league at present. I understand bandwagons. I understand big time arms, ability to escape a rush. But i don't understand giving the keys to the castle to a guy based on 1 and a half games, due to injury to QB #1. Hey, I hope Kap is as good as he looks in less than 2 games. I am just saying, alex may very well be needed to pull Kap and the 9ers out of a tight jam, late in season or Playoffs. Writing alex off is a bad idea in my book, until we see more of Kap and not in games against losing teams, but say the PATS or the SEA at their house. That would be more instructive for me, and i would think for other 9er fans.

I would feel better knowing for certain, Coach Harbaugh didn't just make his first real coaching error. Man I hope not. But I just get a little apprehensive when after a game and a half , Coach names a new starter, with our current starter at 7-2-1, a 70% completion rate, and an 9 game hx of playing damn good football. The two losses and 1 tie i put squarely on bad gameplans, O and D, and horrible play calling. It was like Harbaugh was there in person , but not really with it. Oh, that's right, his AFib probably was keeping him from making good decisions and it wasn't noted until he got lt chest pain AND decr mental capacity. I would sincerely hope that when the Kap decision was made, Coach wasn't having one of his AFib runs with decr oxygen to brain, and he made a bad decision based on diminshed mental capacity. There are virtually no other situations like this in NFL hx, where late in season, after concussion to QB#1, the HC promotes QB#2 after he has 1 and a half very good games. Surely I can't be the only one who is wondering about this, can I?

I don't have a preference for starting QB, other than he is the best one to win us games. If one guy is superior, start him. Right now I am not convinced, and am fully aware in today's NFL, a QB injury is devastating. I hope kap succeeds...or alex. But right now I want both guys concentrating on getting us wins, winning the NFC and then waxing the AFC in the SB. I want our best out there, and right now I am not confident we have the right guy after 2 games. That's it.

As to the title of this thread, to me it is almost laughable. Alex's stats, winning record of 25-5-1 in last 31 games speaks for itself. The guy has played great for two yrs, is on the way to the SB,and is replaced by a guy with two good games. And you guys think alex is worth a 2nd ...maybe? Wow, that is actually funny. With 8-10 teams in dire need of a starting Qb, and alex sitting here guiding us to the SB, 70% passer rating , you know his QBR...and you all are talking about maybe getting a 2nd for alex? My only question to you folks is, "where in the world have you been the last two yrs?" Oh, and after the 10 teams that would die to have alex as their starter, there are another 6 at least he would be a good match for. 2nd rd pick, with luck? Ha. Ha. ha. That is ludicrous....
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Fo rsome reason i can see alex in a JETS uni

The jets already have a mediocre QB that they owe guaranteed money to, and I'm not talkin about Tebow!!
Lots of instances where coaches take players from there former team with them to the next gig, including qb. And if he goes to a team that needs good qb play, that already understands his system. It's an added bonus for lesser work involved.

A 2nd round pick is so valuable to teams cap situation bc they get paid less than $600,000 for 3 years...... Alex Smith is due $8, 500, 000 next year.

This. When a guy like Flacco is demanding elite money (> $14 million/year), $8.5 million is dirt cheap for a QB with 70% completion rate.

No one expects to get 70% completion percentage from Smith anywhere but here with this team.

8.5 isnt elite

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jeez, what if kap is a flash in the pan, looks great against a weak D, then can't beat good teams, or worse, he flounders against a rematch wth the Giants? What if Kap on one of his patented dashes into the endzone, has his knee or ankle taken out. What if Kap drives for show but can't putt for dough? To summarize the above, all these scenarios assume that after 1.5 games, Kap is the wunderkind and can do no wrong, can beat any team out there. But what if that is wrong? Hey, I hope not, but what if? The injury part is definitely a concern , in that lots of times, Kap just takes off. In today's NFL, that is begging for an injury.

I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, but every post above assumes Kap is the Second Coming. What happens if he ain't? Alex will look awfully good with that 8 mil contract i would bet. The amount of enthusiastic hyperbole for Kap is great. Are all you kap fans sure he is the one? For me, I would like to see a bigger body of work than one and a half measly games. It sounds like I am not convinced yet. I want to be, but the kid had played 6 quarters, and our team's chances are all bet on that? Wow.
I prefer to not guess where alex goes, but wonder will he...or will Kap finish the season and go into playoffs as QB. Right now, I got no idea.

I think this is more about Alex just wanting to get out. If this can happen to him now it can happen again. Regardless of what Keap does baring injury Alex will not go back in.

I don't see Alex staying no matter what. He'll be the good soldier now...but if after all that happened they don't offer trade or release we'll see a different side of Alex... I don't think they'll fight him over it though.
Not with a ten foot pole!

Why not? Smith did really well in college. After disappointing years, he managed to do it again. Bill Walsh used to say (paraphrased): "if the guy did it, he can do it again."

Smith won't get the elite money in the next job, but I don't think teams will wince paying him $8 million. The Dolphins were in doubt, yet their verbal number was already $8 million, and that was before the efficiency Smith showed this year.
  • zoos
  • Veteran
I'm pretty surprised that there are so many people that would like to have Alex as their qb. I've always been and still am an Alex fan but I truly believed that other nfl fans did not appreciate his talents; mainly, I thought they always saw him as just plain average or a bust no matter what he did...

Some of these tweets caught me off guard...

http://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=alex+smith+trade&src=typd
It will be interesting to see where Alex Smith ends up and how he will fare...
Share 49ersWebzone