LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Depending on who ends up coach there, Philly is definitely a possibility. There has been scattered talk about him on sport talk radio here once Andy is tossed.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Hw would command more than 7.5 million on the open market, right? If so I think teams would be better served trading for him and his 2 years on the contract that has been about 50% paid off.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by DVDA:
The trade deadline has passed, this conversation is about trading him in the offseason.

True. I forgot that when I made the post. It'll be an interesting scenario if CK starts in the playoffs, and fails to win a single game. The 49ers may have to pay Smith the retaining bonus. But what will Smith's action be? How likely it will be for him to demand a trade if he sees opportunity with a viable team?
What makes you believe the team would go back to Alex if Kap loses in his first playoff start? They will move on with Kap as the starter and get him ready in the off season.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by DVDA:
The trade deadline has passed, this conversation is about trading him in the offseason.

True. I forgot that when I made the post. It'll be an interesting scenario if CK starts in the playoffs, and fails to win a single game. The 49ers may have to pay Smith the retaining bonus. But what will Smith's action be? How likely it will be for him to demand a trade if he sees opportunity with a viable team?
What makes you believe the team would go back to Alex if Kap loses in his first playoff start? They will move on with Kap as the starter and get him ready in the off season.

It depends on the way the game is lost. If CK plays decently, then the 49ers have the easy decision to make. If he is horrible - with the opposing defense shows counter moves against every supposed strength of CK, then the 49ers may have second thought about gambling everything on CK. The team will have to carry out an insurance policy in retaining Smith. In the worst case the team can always trade Smith afterwards.
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.

Most of the league expected Smith to resign with the 49ers. It was well known and documented
i get this feeling Gruden will come looking for Alex if he gets a coaching job somewhere
Is he locked up for three years? or if we don't give him the roster bonus does he walk?
Originally posted by kronik:
I get that, but still he did not generate any interest in free agency last year.

Most of the league expected Smith to resign with the 49ers. It was well known and documented

Yeah, this year is completely different.

2012 offseason - NFL expects Smith to re-sign with SF, quality in the draft at QB position, most incumbent veteran QBs on solid footing
2013 offseason - NFL expects Smith to be available via trade/release, QB draft class weak, lots of struggling veteran QBs on teams that will change coaching staffs
Teams will shy away from Smith Bc he is a product of the Harbaugh system.

Plus he needs a potent line and rushing attack to be effective.... Those teams don't need a QB.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Teams will shy away from Smith Bc he is a product of the Harbaugh system.

Plus he needs a potent line and rushing attack to be effective.... Those teams don't need a QB.

Some teams may. Not all teams will. A confident coach will see that he can use Smith's positive skillset and win.

My money is on him going to Oakland or KC.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My money is on him going to Oakland or KC.

Please not Oakland.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
my prediction? Philly with Gruden.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by kronik:

Yeah, this year is completely different.

2012 offseason - NFL expects Smith to re-sign with SF, quality in the draft at QB position, most incumbent veteran QBs on solid footing
2013 offseason - NFL expects Smith to be available via trade/release, QB draft class weak, lots of struggling veteran QBs on teams that will change coaching staffs

good point, he shall hopefully fetch a hefty price
Originally posted by boast:
my prediction? Philly with Gruden.

Philly or Jacksonville are my guesses. I don't think the Raiders are willing to give up on Palmer after giving up so much. I dont' see the 9ers agreeing to AZ. I don't think Alex will want to go to the Jets.
Share 49ersWebzone