There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
If we don't retain Alex, we'll be playing him twice a year. You can take that to the bank.
After seeing our defense against Brees and Rodgers who cares!

But it'd be scary if Smith joins the Cardinals and manages to find real rapport with Fitzgerald. He has learned a lesson with the 49ers. Stats don't mean anything until it means everything. He might have lost his job because he truly believed in the first part.

Alex would have little-to-no success in Arizona. Have you seen their O-Line? Fitzgerald would be one unhappy dude if Alex was his QB. Even cats like Skelton take chances and allow Fitzgerald to make a play on the ball. Alex has proven he won't do that.

Bottom line is most of the league sees through his #3 rank in QB rating and his TD to INT ratio. He takes very few risks and WILL NOT carry a team on his back. The situation here is as good as it gets for Alex Smith. Great defense, great running game, not being asked to do much and just playing it safe is what works for him here. Most other teams don't have those pieces and will need a QB that can actually lead them to victory. Alex Smith is not that QB. There's a reason analysts and even some players have tagged him with the "game manager" title, and it's not because they don't know what they're talking about, as many on here suggested in the past.

As for trade value? We aren't likely to get much, even if teams didn't know they could probably get him as a free agent. Will another team snatch him up? Obviously. Will he succeed somewhere else? He probably won't be anything more than mediocre unless he can land a spot on another team with an elite defense and top-notch running game where he won't be asked to do too much. Any other teams like that out there?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Fo rsome reason i can see alex in a JETS uni
I think Sanchez is done. Tennessee and Kansas City also have veteran QBs that are terrible. There are other teams where Alex would be an upgrade, but they have mostly young guys that they probably haven't given up on yet. He will land on his feet and be appreciated where ever he goes.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Trade him to Jets for Revis and a third. Actually if he is benched our Super Bowl expectations need to be hampered Smith has a season and a half of consistent solid play and playoff experience. Kaepernick is a young player with only 2 starts under his belt. He is entitled and bound to have a few down games. Do we want one of those games to come against Green Bay, Seattle or the Giants in the playoffs?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.

Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.
Rivers "was" an elite QB, but has fallen off badly the last two years. Romo always has been overrated, I would call him average at best. I would take Smith over Romo any day of the week. I was never a big Smith fan. He is a good QB, but we are the 49ers and have a tradition of having Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers behind center going back 60 years. I want to keep up the tradition.
Alex will be cut in March. So the answer is no. He has no trade value.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for gold49digger.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Trade him to Jets for Revis and a third. Actually if he is benched our Super Bowl expectations need to be hampered Smith has a season and a half of consistent solid play and playoff experience. Kaepernick is a young player with only 2 starts under his belt. He is entitled and bound to have a few down games. Do we want one of those games to come against Green Bay, Seattle or the Giants in the playoffs?

Thats what im afraid of. Kap has loads of potential but this is a win now team and if he feels rattled in the playoffs we are screwed.
He can't be traded this season. So be can't demand a trade. The trade deadline has passed.

They can keep the draft pick I would take that trade straight up.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I like Alex. I would not trade him to that madhouse.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I would say teams would be willing to trade for Alex for a 5th or 6th round pick. But in reality, I don't think he'll be traded period.
Originally posted by buck:

Why not add another distraction to that circus? Just imagine the camera shots of Tebow, Sanchez, Alex, all on the sidelines frowning watching the travesty on the field. lol...
  • nj9er
  • Veteran

Originally posted by BayArea:
Why not add another distraction to that circus? Just imagine the camera shots of Tebow, Sanchez, Alex, all on the sidelines frowning watching the travesty on the field. lol...

Jets need to clean house but I think are too stubborn to do so otherwose Tebow would have sarted week 8. Henne makes Gabbert look like a giant bust even Henne has better chemistry with Blackmon and they have new owner. KC makes sense since that's where we exile all our QBs.

Jets need to clean house but I think are too stubborn to do so otherwose Tebow would have sarted week 8. Henne makes Gabbert look like a giant bust even Henne has better chemistry with Blackmon and they have new owner. KC makes sense since that's where we exile all our QBs.

Even if I dig deep for my best arm chair coaching talent I can't even begin to understand what the Jets need. Like the Cowboys they are bad from the field all the way up to the owner. Cleaning house is an understatement. I wouldn't have said it 2-3 years ago but the longer Rex Ryan is in control the deeper they will plummet. Bet anything he is their coach for the next 3 years though and Sanchez will be their QB just as long.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Even if I dig deep for my best arm chair coaching talent I can't even begin to understand what the Jets need. Like the Cowboys they are bad from the field all the way up to the owner. Cleaning house is an understatement. I wouldn't have said it 2-3 years ago but the longer Rex Ryan is in control the deeper they will plummet. Bet anything he is their coach for the next 3 years though and Sanchez will be their QB just as long.

Being from Nj I can tell you what is wrong with the Jets. They dumped a lot of older quality veteran players with a bad plan B. Damien Woody, Vilma, Faneca, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, etc, and replaced it with talented egotistical selfish players like Cromartie and Holmes. I think Rex watched the longest yard too many times. Similar to what we did after 2002 only we didn't have any egos just 3rd tier players. Heart for Barlow (jones/green),, TO for Lloyd( S. Moss /holmes)Garcia with Rattay (Farve/Sanchez)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Alex is a top 10 qb imo, but because of the situation we would have little leverage so his value is rock bottom. Teams know we cant keep him next year if CK is the starter so they might offer a 5th for him but they know t hey could wait for us to cut him so likely we woildnt even get that. CK right now would fetch a 1st rounder because of the hype and his low contract number means we could hold onto him even if he wasnt starting.

Assuming both QBs continue at the level they have been we cant lose. We either clear a lot of cap room or get a high pick.

So it's ok for smith to start and CK to sit for the same money next year , but it's not ok if it's vice versa?

It's not the same money. Smith is set to make something near $10 mil next year, Kap is on his rookie deal and would make significantly less, more in like with what would be acceptable to pay a backup. Smith makes far too much money to not have on the field.