LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't want to invest big picks on those guys. Someone will over draft one. Geno Smith has potential but he just looks small to me. Barkley is a 3rd round guy at best. Totally exposed this year. He should have jumped last year. He's gonna get Taylor May'sd,
Please. This guy has no trade value. Anyone who wants him just has to wait until March when you are forced to cut him or pay MILLIONS of dollars. Suckers.
[ Edited by HornedHell on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
This and we can close the thread. Maybe not Bradford potentially. Let's not just put him in a Raiders Jersey yet fellas I want him to retire a Niner

I think the Rams will stick with Bradford for at least one more year. After all they already paid him the bulk of the money of his huge contract.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
If we don't retain Alex, we'll be playing him twice a year. You can take that to the bank.
After seeing our defense against Brees and Rodgers who cares!

But it'd be scary if Smith joins the Cardinals and manages to find real rapport with Fitzgerald. He has learned a lesson with the 49ers. Stats don't mean anything until it means everything. He might have lost his job because he truly believed in the first part.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
KC would not trade for Alex. They will not trade a high second for Smith if they ignored him in free agency. I wonder AB if we refuse to pay the bonus if he counts as a free-agent or a cut. That way we may receive compensation. 8 million in free-agency could land us a quality starter at another position.

He would be considered a cut. We would give up the rights to him. Similar to what a team would do to a RFA if they withdrew their offer, he is a UFA and we wouldn't get anything for him comp pick wise.

It will be tough, maybe the 49ers and Alex agree to move back the roster bonus, so he can choose the team, if not than he is cut.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
KC would not trade for Alex. They will not trade a high second for Smith if they ignored him in free agency. I wonder AB if we refuse to pay the bonus if he counts as a free-agent or a cut. That way we may receive compensation. 8 million in free-agency could land us a quality starter at another position.

He would be considered a cut. We would give up the rights to him. Similar to what a team would do to a RFA if they withdrew their offer, he is a UFA and we wouldn't get anything for him comp pick wise.

It will be tough, maybe the 49ers and Alex agree to move back the roster bonus, so he can choose the team, if not than he is cut.

yea what i was thinking.
Originally posted by fastforward:
If we don't retain Alex, we'll be playing him twice a year. You can take that to the bank.

But it'd be scary if Smith joins the Cardinals and manages to find real rapport with Fitzgerald. He has learned a lesson with the 49ers. Stats don't mean anything until it means everything. He might have lost his job because he truly believed in the first part.

yea in arizona he would be great.
I see a lot of people saying Alex has no value because all these bad teams can draft " a guy " early. Who is this "a guy" and how many teams can he play for...because I see no early first round worthy QB's comings out, much less multiple.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by HornedHell:
Please. This guy has no trade value. Anyone who wants him just has to wait until March when you are forced to cut him or pay MILLIONS of dollars. Suckers.

There is always value in getting a guy before he hits the market if there is more than one suitor...
Originally posted by BayArea:
Maybe the only real question would be can he succeed in a different system?

He would be a solid backup for any team not in need of a turn key starting QB for sure.

What would really suck for him is to go to a team like the Jets. Teams like that where the coaching staff has no idea what they are doing and makes desperate moves. Probably look at Alex's successful couple of seasons and expect that level of play without taking into account everything that was in place for him here.

I could see trade value I just don't see us trying to get a trade for him in the first place. They would likely let him walk and he could see what he gets as a free agent. We aren't really desperate for players or draft picks here and what we would get for him would likely be a waste.

Smith showed decent command of the Turner system in 2006, and showed fast adaptation to Harbaugh system. I think he'll be fine as long as he goes to a team with a head coach who has a clue about the offense.

I am not disagreeing with you here. Just saying those would be my honest concerns. He doesn't have the best track record of adapting to new systems even if they were bad ones and different every year. Likely trade scenario would be Alex going to a team down on their luck probably not a good system to start with and safe to say not nearly as talented cast around him. Any QB in that situation would up a creek without a paddle in my opinion.

• rdc1
  • Veteran
We may need him. I would pay the 8 million. It's only what 10 million for two probowl QBs. If a trade could be worked Alex probably would be a 3rd at best.

Alex's contract was structured the way it was to give the 49ers that ability to renegotiate Kaepernicks contract in year 3 (next year). They also retained the option for Alex if Kaepernick did not develop as expected. The 49ers do not want to go into the final year of Kaepernick's contract without renegotiating and extending it, if he developed as expected.

Alex would have little-to-no success in Arizona. Have you seen their O-Line? Fitzgerald would be one unhappy dude if Alex was his QB. Even cats like Skelton take chances and allow Fitzgerald to make a play on the ball. Alex has proven he won't do that.

Bottom line is most of the league sees through his #3 rank in QB rating and his TD to INT ratio. He takes very few risks and WILL NOT carry a team on his back. The situation here is as good as it gets for Alex Smith. Great defense, great running game, not being asked to do much and just playing it safe is what works for him here. Most other teams don't have those pieces and will need a QB that can actually lead them to victory. Alex Smith is not that QB. There's a reason analysts and even some players have tagged him with the "game manager" title, and it's not because they don't know what they're talking about, as many on here suggested in the past.

As for trade value? We aren't likely to get much, even if teams didn't know they could probably get him as a free agent. Will another team snatch him up? Obviously. Will he succeed somewhere else? He probably won't be anything more than mediocre unless he can land a spot on another team with an elite defense and top-notch running game where he won't be asked to do too much. Any other teams like that out there?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Fo rsome reason i can see alex in a JETS uni
I think Sanchez is done. Tennessee and Kansas City also have veteran QBs that are terrible. There are other teams where Alex would be an upgrade, but they have mostly young guys that they probably haven't given up on yet. He will land on his feet and be appreciated where ever he goes.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Trade him to Jets for Revis and a third. Actually if he is benched our Super Bowl expectations need to be hampered Smith has a season and a half of consistent solid play and playoff experience. Kaepernick is a young player with only 2 starts under his belt. He is entitled and bound to have a few down games. Do we want one of those games to come against Green Bay, Seattle or the Giants in the playoffs?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

There is no way the teams that the bolded are on would agree with you.

Of course there is a way. Rivers and Romo are very much overrated. I think you are going off of what they did four or five years ago.
Rivers "was" an elite QB, but has fallen off badly the last two years. Romo always has been overrated, I would call him average at best. I would take Smith over Romo any day of the week. I was never a big Smith fan. He is a good QB, but we are the 49ers and have a tradition of having Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers behind center going back 60 years. I want to keep up the tradition.
Share 49ersWebzone