LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Week 12: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well, #1) I wouldn't exactly call it a rant. #2) I'll post about anything I want. #3) I only mention it because he simply doesn't come out of the game. Ever. He plays with such a high motor. The 49ers don't have the makings of a title run. They have the makings of a potential DYNASTY. The only things that can derail that is having players that are so vital that you can't live without getting old or getting hurt. Justin is one of those guys.

We need to look at that position HIGH in the draft next year. We can't be looking for it after he declines. We need to have that answer before it becomes an issue.

I think this is the time when you go after diamonds in the rough...people with the athletic talent that may not have been taught solid technique..and then hope that Smith rubs off on them. If you don't see progress then you have to spend a higher round pick and get someone who can get the job done now.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
would the Niners trade Alex Smith in the offseason? I remember Jimmy Johnson drafting two QB's--Aikman and I forget the other QB's name--but he was traded eventually and that kept Dallas well stocked with good players in their last SB era.

If Kaep remains the starter and the 49ers can't negotiate Alex to a much smaller "backup" number (very unlikely they would be able to do that), he will be released. Other teams know he has a timebomb in his contract so won't trade for him. They'd just wait until Feb and sign him outright.
I'm not sure the 49ers will need to work him back down to a lower number, or want to do so. Just look at Chicago and Pittsburgh. Neither have a decent backup and the subs have put them behind in the playoff scenario. I would bet that Baalke will try to re-sign Smith for something close to what he is getting now, perhaps even a small raise. After all, running QBs have a tendency to get injured. Assuming Kaepernick is the starter from here on in (I believe so), having Smith ready as a sub will guarantee a continued run into the playoffs. We all know how close we were last season with Smith at QB, no reason we won't go beyond that this season with more weapons.

If they want his current number all they have to do is NOT release him. That won't happen. You can't have you backup making 10 Million and your starter making less than a mil (don't actually know Kaeps salary, but you get the point).
Originally posted by excelsior:
Few will deny that Kap is superior to Alex in size, weight, speed, escabability and arm strength. Hence, most observe that Kap has a higher ceiling and is more likely to produce big plays than Alex. With this I cannot disagree. But if these traits were so important, why do we not see them in most of our elite QBs? Most would agree that the elites include Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, and E. Manning. A few years ago Warner was considered elite

With the possible exception of Rodgers, how many of these elites match or excell Kap in size, speed, escapability and arm strength? Probably none. Why are they elite? Probably experience, instinct, vision, accuracy, decision making, and production when it matters most. These are rare traits, otherwise there would be a ton of elites in the league. History shows us that very few QBs are able to sustain extraordinary success over the long haul.

The reason I feel sad for Alex is that he gutted it out for years when the team had holes: Bad OC, poor OL, average WRs. Last year, under Harbaugh, many of those holes were patched. A few still persisted, so the team addressed them during the offseason. Snyder was replaced and Manningham and Moss were brought in. Like a fine race car, most of the parts are now in place and are starting to mesh into a smooth-running machine. Finally, Alex could go out and drive this wonderful machine and reap the benefits of it. But suddenly, the keys are handed over to someone else, and he will be dramatically aided in being able to look good running it. I think it is sad. But who said life was fair?

Finally, there have been many on this board who declared at one time that Alex was the worst starting QB in the league. Others said he was inaccurate. We were told he couldn't do this or do that. And he eventually proved them wrong. I think he still has room to grow and improve, and will if provided the opportunity. Do not condemn me for comparing him to Montana, but the stat is interesting. One recently mentioned that based on a few games, Kap has a yards per attempt of 9.19, while Alex is only 7.98. For reference, Montanas career average was 7.52, showing that one does not need dazzling deep passes to win SBs. Other traits must be more important.

Well...none of those attributes are why I'm so impressed with Kaep. What has impressed me is how calm he is under the bright lights, how good the decisions have been, and most importantly how ACCURATE he's been throwing mid to long range passes.

The arm strength is fantastic. The legs are a huge bonus....but it's whats goin' on between his ears that makes me thin he might be our starter for the next decade.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
would the Niners trade Alex Smith in the offseason? I remember Jimmy Johnson drafting two QB's--Aikman and I forget the other QB's name--but he was traded eventually and that kept Dallas well stocked with good players in their last SB era.

If Kaep remains the starter and the 49ers can't negotiate Alex to a much smaller "backup" number (very unlikely they would be able to do that), he will be released. Other teams know he has a timebomb in his contract so won't trade for him. They'd just wait until Feb and sign him outright.
I'm not sure the 49ers will need to work him back down to a lower number, or want to do so. Just look at Chicago and Pittsburgh. Neither have a decent backup and the subs have put them behind in the playoff scenario. I would bet that Baalke will try to re-sign Smith for something close to what he is getting now, perhaps even a small raise. After all, running QBs have a tendency to get injured. Assuming Kaepernick is the starter from here on in (I believe so), having Smith ready as a sub will guarantee a continued run into the playoffs. We all know how close we were last season with Smith at QB, no reason we won't go beyond that this season with more weapons.

There is no way the Niners keep a 9 million dollar backup

Of course not...I'm talking about releasing and resigning him...which is why I think it's highly unlikely.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Well, #1) I wouldn't exactly call it a rant. #2) I'll post about anything I want. #3) I only mention it because he simply doesn't come out of the game. Ever. He plays with such a high motor. The 49ers don't have the makings of a title run. They have the makings of a potential DYNASTY. The only things that can derail that is having players that are so vital that you can't live without getting old or getting hurt. Justin is one of those guys.

We need to look at that position HIGH in the draft next year. We can't be looking for it after he declines. We need to have that answer before it becomes an issue.

I think this is the time when you go after diamonds in the rough...people with the athletic talent that may not have been taught solid technique..and then hope that Smith rubs off on them. If you don't see progress then you have to spend a higher round pick and get someone who can get the job done now.

Agreed. You can get the high potential RAW player because he doesn't need to play right away. Maybe even tqake a guy who's hurt and would have been selected much higher.
I think we can win with either QB...CK does bring more escapability and running ability, though. His 3rd down throws are no joke...very happy to see Walker get more involved and he responded well. By the same token, the chemistry between Alex and Crabtree was really developing nicely...look at the 'Zona game. To me, it's a win-win, because both guys can get it done. They're different, but their goals are the same...to get to and win the SB. Just wish the media would stop with the QB controversy nonsense...it's such a waste of time.
Can someone tell me what defense the Saints were playing most of the game? Cover-one?
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Can someone tell me what defense the Saints were playing most of the game? Cover-one?

I'd have to go back and look, but I can tell you that everytime I was paying attention to it there were only 7 in the box.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

I'd have to go back and look, but I can tell you that everytime I was paying attention to it there were only 7 in the box.

If that's the case, they did a pretty good job defending the run for 3 quarters. We piled up some yards late.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Few will deny that Kap is superior to Alex in size, weight, speed, escabability and arm strength. Hence, most observe that Kap has a higher ceiling and is more likely to produce big plays than Alex. With this I cannot disagree. But if these traits were so important, why do we not see them in most of our elite QBs? Most would agree that the elites include Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, Brees, and E. Manning. A few years ago Warner was considered elite

With the possible exception of Rodgers, how many of these elites match or excell Kap in size, speed, escapability and arm strength? Probably none. Why are they elite? Probably experience, instinct, vision, accuracy, decision making, and production when it matters most. These are rare traits, otherwise there would be a ton of elites in the league. History shows us that very few QBs are able to sustain extraordinary success over the long haul.

The reason I feel sad for Alex is that he gutted it out for years when the team had holes: Bad OC, poor OL, average WRs. Last year, under Harbaugh, many of those holes were patched. A few still persisted, so the team addressed them during the offseason. Snyder was replaced and Manningham and Moss were brought in. Like a fine race car, most of the parts are now in place and are starting to mesh into a smooth-running machine. Finally, Alex could go out and drive this wonderful machine and reap the benefits of it. But suddenly, the keys are handed over to someone else, and he will be dramatically aided in being able to look good running it. I think it is sad. But who said life was fair?

Finally, there have been many on this board who declared at one time that Alex was the worst starting QB in the league. Others said he was inaccurate. We were told he couldn't do this or do that. And he eventually proved them wrong. I think he still has room to grow and improve, and will if provided the opportunity. Do not condemn me for comparing him to Montana, but the stat is interesting. One recently mentioned that based on a few games, Kap has a yards per attempt of 9.19, while Alex is only 7.98. For reference, Montanas career average was 7.52, showing that one does not need dazzling deep passes to win SBs. Other traits must be more important.

Well...none of those attributes are why I'm so impressed with Kaep. What has impressed me is how calm he is under the bright lights, how good the decisions have been, and most importantly how ACCURATE he's been throwing mid to long range passes.

The arm strength is fantastic. The legs are a huge bonus....but it's whats goin' on between his ears that makes me thin he might be our starter for the next decade.

Boom.

This is the reason any of us should be praising his play, not b/c of his obvious escapability and manuverability, but the fact that he also comes with a great mind for the game. The fact that he SAID exactly that about himself in an interview makes him more worthy.

Share 49ersWebzone