LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Week 12: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
That's a damn great point. We can't count on Akers bailing us out of a bad red-zone series, so being conservative in our play-calling and execution isn't going to work as well. We'll need to take more chances, be a little more daring and willing to throw in to the end zone more as opposed to checking down and settling for a FG attempt.

We don't throw in the RZ...only run

We need to contact Roman, stat!

Uh...all three of Kaeps passing TD's were in the redzone. They have been throwing quite often from there...and scoring TDs on first down.

Oh come on now Marvin...you know if CK didn't get his TD on that throw, 2 out of 3 times inside the 10 we're running the ball! LOL

The fact remains that they are still allowing the 2nd year player to throw the ball into the endzone on first down...and he's completing those passes.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Not a bad suggestion. I'll take a look at what I can find.

Jim Harbaugh sounded like Alex Smith would be declared our starter on Wed. I am bummed and if our offense sucks against the Rams I will be even more dissapointed.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
The fact remains that they are still allowing the 2nd year player to throw the ball into the endzone on first down...and he's completing those passes.

I believe that Kaepernick has thrown more into the endzone then Alex. Most of Alex touch downs he throws and lets the TE, RECIEVER or RUNNING BACK do the rest to score.
Originally posted by GORO:

Jim Harbaugh sounded like Alex Smith would be declared our starter on Wed. I am bummed and if our offense sucks against the Rams I will be even more dissapointed.

I'd be stunned if he starts Alex. Then again I was stunned that he started Kaep this week so what do I know? LOL.
Originally posted by GORO:

I don't know about that. He did say that Alex is our starter, and he hasn't lost the job. He then went on to say the QB situation is being evaluated, and that either QB could start moving forward. I'll actually be somewhat shocked if Alex starts against the Rams. Either way, I trust Harbaugh. The man has made all the right moves in his head coaching career dating back to UCSD.
Anybody see Gore dancing after his TDs??? As long as i watched him play i have never seen him dance after scoring....he must be having the most fun hes had in a 49er uniform....good for him...
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Anybody see Gore dancing after his TDs??? As long as i watched him play i have never seen him dance after scoring....he must be having the most fun hes had in a 49er uniform....good for him...

lol, i think you are right. i dont remember him dancing at all
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Nice read, good post, one thing I've noticed is the number os sacks Kap takes, as opposed to Alex. Kap seems to have a better sense of when to slide, or move away from pressure. In his first two starts he faced two very different styles of defense, the Bears rush 4 and cover, mixing in a few well disguised blitzes, and the Saints seem to blitz almost every down in just about every direction, and Kap handled it well, and as I recall took very few...any sacks. Alex as brutally efficient, and consistent seems to swallow the ball and take the sack when he deems it safest, Kap keeps the play alive and keeps fighting.

It sucks when you have two very good QBs!

That just reminds me of something I keep reading that drives me nuts. This isn't targetted at you...

...but everytime I read that the Bears played "vanilla" against the 49ers and thats why he had success...I want to freakin' scream. Of course they played vanilla. They play vanilla in EVERY game and still beat the crap out of people. Thats simply what the Bears do and what they have been doing to have one of the best D's in the league.

Its not like they said..."ya know what? This kids a rook...lets simplify it for him!". No. They did what has worked against almost every other team they have played...and it didn't work.

"Playing Vanilla" up front is what great defenses do, maybe a little twist or stunt, look at the Giants, and hell look at our own defense, if we can get pressure with 4 that's all we send, it allows us to cover the back end. The Bears are very good at this, and further, gret defenses will disguise the back end coverage, the fact that Kap was able to read and beat these trick back ends is significant.
1) Kaepernick: I'm suspending the Alex Smith Stat update till he has new stats...which may be never in a 49er uniform. ;-) I have always been an Alex supporter on this forum. I have also always recognized his weaknesses. I've never made Alex out to be a dynamic passer. What he can be is deadly efficient in an offense that isn't built around him. There is something to be said for that and half the league would want someone who could play as well as Alex is playing right now. Having said all that, Colin Kaepernick is a different ballgame altogether. He has a chance to be special. People sometimes just see his mobility and think of him in terms of being a running QB, but it's what he's doing with his head, eyes, and arm that are making him special.In the past 2 games he's made 6-7 throws that Alex has never made. Ever. They are passes Alex would never even attempt, let alone complete. 16-25, 231 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. If you look at that stat line without watching the game you don't get the whole picture. First, that doesn't show 3 clear drops and 2 of them would have extended drives. That also doesn't reflect 50 yards on 2 plays that were called back on holding penalties. Both of those drives would have put the Niners in scoring position. The pick BTW, was totally forgivable. The DB dropped off his receiver while Kaep was trying to pick the ball off the turf. Young QB mistake on a bad snap. He has now played very well against one of the best D's in the NFL and in one of the toughest environments in the NFL. These last two wins were against teams with plans in January. This last win may be the closest thing to a playoff game the Saints actually get to play because the Niners MAY have just eliminated them. As I stated last week, I'm not given to buy into hype, but I'm having a really hard time not checking into the Niner team store to look at Kaepernick jerseys. I'm still not saying he's arrived, but he is off to a great start.

2) O-Line: Played very well, in particular the tackles. Look to be improving in pass protection, but some of that may be Kaeps increased escapability. One note tho...what was up with Goodwin constantly hitting Kaep in the ankles on shotgun snaps. Does he think he's still snapping the ball to Drew Brees?

3) Aldon: Still beastly. Bushrod actually played him very well, but Aldon still always seems to get his.

4) Depth: To all those peeps b***hing and complaining about drafting James and Jenkins when the team didn't "NEED" them...Ya get it now? Both of these guys may get activated now. Williams: Hurt. Hunter: Hurt. Ginn: Hurt. THAT'S why you draft for depth. My hope is that they don't lose Hunter for long, but I think Williams is done for the year. Kinda nice to replace injured players with your top 2 picks who have been able to sit and learn for more than half a season.

5) Goldson: I've said many, many times that he isn't my fav player, but he is having one hell of a year. He's not getting all the picks but he is blowing people up in a big way. More imporantly, he's doing it LEGALLY. He's leading with the shoulder.

6) Whitner: He can be a liability in coverage, but he closes on ballcarriers faster than any safety I've ever seen. When he intercepted that pass it looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

7) Brooks: One pick 6. A sack and a half. Not bad for the 4th best LB on the team.

8) Justin: Dude just lines up every week and mauls the guy in front of him. The only think that concerns me with Justin is his age and the fact that he never comes out of the game. The 49ers need to start looking for his eventual replacement in the off-season. I think Justin still has a few years, but eventually that body won't be able to sustain that motor.

9) Walker: Delanie Walker can be a downright scary player if teams take Davis away and leave Walker in single coverage. Unfortunately it looks like he hurt his hip, but it looks like Kaep has no problem gunning it into him in tight windows for big gains.

10) Dynamic: It is pretty damn clear that this team is much more dynamic with kaep at QB over Smith. As the announcers stated yesterday, Kaep has 10 plays over 20 yards. Alex has 22 in the previous 9 games. Kaep completed several passes that Alex would never even attempt. The trick here tho is whether or not he'll throw the picks that Alex wouldn't throw. We'll just have to wait and see.

11. The alex smith era is officially over.
Originally posted by 49Fever:

Link?

Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Hey Marvin.

I don't comment here much obviously, but I like hearing your thoughts after each game. I know you are going to stop doing the Alex Smith stats tracker since 2010 (which btw was awesome) if Kaep earns the job, but if you don't mind, can I make a suggestion.

Before I do, I would like to say that if Kaep does win the job, I will feel really bad for Smith. I have always liked him and always thought he was a product of a failed organization rather than a bad football player, while still recognizing his inefficiencies. I honestly have a ton of respect for him and I'm not sure I wanted to see another football player succeed more than him after everything he went through and how he's handled it.

However, again assuming Kaep remains the starter (not announced yet) could you consider posting stats like our 3rd down percentage, 20+ yard pass plays, along with TD/throw(running and throwing) and INT/throw rates are compared to with Alex Smith. I think it would be great to see how Kaep compares to Alex if he does win he job. I'm not saying the one specifically I wrote, but obvsiouly looking at the differences between the two and whether or not Kaep can bring that more dynamic play to the team while minimizing the mistakes.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Marvin,

You always do a great job, and I am always looking forward to your posts. I was hoping you could look into something I have been curious about the last couple of weeks.

Can you look into what is going on with our safeties on the deep passes, especially this last game? To me, at first glance, it looks like Goldson/Whitner bite on mid-level routes over the middle while letting WRs on the outside go one-on-one with our DBs. Is this a scheme thing, or are they genuinely getting duped?

I am no DC, but I would think it would be better to play the deepest routes first, regardless of what the middle of the field is doing, cuz you could always come back to the center of the field. If you bite on the stuff in the middle, then anything to the outside is a likely TD.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Yeah he usually beats his chest and give ups to his mom and the lord above but yesterday he was dancing all over the saints endzone.....must have been waiting all year to play them again....
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49Fever:

Link?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Yeah he usually beats his chest and give ups to his mom and the lord above but yesterday he was dancing all over the saints endzone.....must have been waiting all year to play them again....

We haven't won in that place since 2002
Share 49ersWebzone