LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

I am a big Alex Smith fan and was very excited to see what Jim Harbaugh could do with him. That said, I voted for Kaepernick because I feel he gives us the best option to win going forward. I think of it in terms of if I were the opposing defense, who would I rather face, Smith or Kaepernick, hands down I would rather face Smith.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by kray28:
No one has seen the potential dark side of going with Kaep yet.

Take away the two pick sixes today...you get 17 points scores as a direct result of our offense. NO scored 21.

That's not say that Kap couldn't have scored more, but there were more than a few miscues out there today...and it's being papered over by the euphoria of the win.

In fairness, I can't it would have been better with Alex, but I think some of the mistakes you saw out there would not have been made.

Since you wanna play that game, if Ted Ginn didn't muff that punt we win 17-14.

Also, because both turnovers lead to TDs, the Offense didn't get a chance to score on them. As a result, we had the lead after the second one and the game plan was to preserve.

In all fairness, you can't take points away from the offense when the defense scores, it just changes the game. Imagine if they'd only intercepted it. Our offense would have had two additional drives with incentives to score.

I'd venture to say, that on average, the more defense and special teams score, the lower points a team has on offense.
[ Edited by stillpans4gold on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
Has to be Kaep. There is always the risk of his learning curve hurting us at some point, but it appears he is the QB of the future. Better for him to get his experience now and we will win (or not) with him and build around what the identity of the team will be going forward, than to be afraid of his "rookie" mistakes and limit the team.

He will have to take his lumps and learn to win big games sooner or later if we are going to win a SB. Better to either let him shine or learn those lessons now, so that we can move forward and his progress can continue.

Both CK and AS give us about equal odds to win this year. CK has more upside, but more risk. AS is safer and maybe less likely to make a costly mistake but far less likely to be a difference maker in a special way either.

With either guy at QB, there is no sure thing in terms of a SB this year. But if CK gets the experience he needs, we will be that much better positioned for one next year (and beyond) if it doesn't happen this year.

And in the meantime, if injury, poor play or circumstance cause us to need a vet backup for a SB run, we have arguably the best backup QB in the NFL ready to go. And next year, we have a clean break that allows us to move forward with our QB of the future.
Yea Kaep bet the saints in NO but ummmm didn't Alex go into GB where we haven't won since last century? Ask yourselves this: you trust Kaep in the playoffs vs the Giants,Pack,falcons,or even the bears again?! THIS year... I'll take Alex!
[ Edited by ForeverYoung8 on Nov 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
CK's ability to step up into the pocket as well as stand tall in the pocket and remain calm and allow his recievers time to get open down field and then throw them the dam ball is the difference! Alex would have been taking sacks and checking down left and right in the past two games.

When was the last time we had a QB do what CK is doing? He can also use his legs to escape when there are breakdowns up front, but he can do this with his eyes down field and still get the ball out. In the same situations Smith looks to throw the ball out of bounds first, check the ball down for a two yard gain second, and to throw the ball down field NEVER!

CK got what Smith needed, a year to sit and watch. He also got a more complete team to work with, and a coaching staff that has a clue. Not CK's fault Alex got a raw deal, but don't try and make up for that now! Best man gets the job, the only question I have is why flirt with Manning and/or start Smith when CK was right there all along?

This
We didn't give up a single sack last night.

The O-line gets credit for this too.

But a lot of it is due to Kaeps pocket presence and ability to evade defenders.
I too voted for Kaep. But I find the vitriole in here hilarious. You clearly have an agenda if you think the difference in the two right now is that glaring in terms of on field production. Kaep will be a way better QB in time, but right now I have them pretty even, wildly different in their approach, skill set, and attitude...but pretty even.

Hell If we had a weaker D, I might go with Alex because he is the safer play. Kaep is far more dynamic and with that style comes some risk. I have faith that our Defense can make up for the occasional misstep..so I am comfortable taking the guy who is capable of saving a game we wouldnt win with Smith because our D can step in and take over a game where Kaep takes a risk to many, or shows his youth with a bad decision.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This

Because he is Manning. When the best of the last decade becomes available...you kick the damn tires.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Alex Kap will get figured out and cave in the playoffs. Not quite ready yet.
C. Kap.

But I really feel for Alex Smith. He did nothing to lose his job, but I wanna win too.

• da209
  • Veteran
Alex smith; you should not lose your job due to an injury; if it wasn't for those 2 fumbles we probably would have been in the super bowl.. We been winning with A. smith, so if it's not broken don't fix.
[ Edited by da209 on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]
"Alex hasn't done anything to lose his job."

I keep hearing/reading this line all over. And yes, I agree. But this line has started to give a different perspective...

...and it begs this question, which I haven't heard: "What has Colin done to not win the starting job?"

sigh.... believe me, and you can call me fickle, I've been a HUGE Smith fan, i frickin' have a Smith jersey in my closet sitting behind me! This has honestly been hard. But, I believe, and still believe, we can win a SB with Smith.... But, I'm not sure if there isn't somebody who gives us a better chance....
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
With CK, we destroyed a great defense / team and soundly beat a very hot team with a great offense. Would we have had the same outcome with Smith behind center? Who the hell knows? What I do know is that CK makes plays where Smith would get sacked. Sacks often end drives.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
With CK, we destroyed a great defense / team and soundly beat a very hot team with a great offense. Would we have had the same outcome with Smith behind center? Who the hell knows? What I do know is that CK makes plays where Smith would get sacked. Sacks often end drives.

You talk about how gore makes great runs for 0 yards, how it could have easily been a 2-3 yard loss. Kaep did make some great incomplete passes/3-4 yard runs under pressure.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Alex Kap will get figured out and cave in the playoffs. Not quite ready yet.

No way to know that. but definitly a concern when thinking about making a 100% switch to Kaep. I was thinking about this too and realized...

For argument's sake, let's say we go with Kaep for the rest of the season, get a team we match up with well in the divisional round and walk on through. The NFC championship game would be Kaep's 9th NFL start! He'd probably face a QB with more TDs than Kaep has passes!
Share 49ersWebzone