There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Right place at right time, but Kaepernick might be the best qb of the 2011 class.

Kaep looks more mature, it was highlighted with the pass to Gore for the TD - rather than scramble himself he made the right call - again with his dump off to Walker on the right touchline when he was scrambling.

He made his reads and selected the right options, for his 2nd full game that's good stuff.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Dalton and Ponder have potential to be very good, but Kaepernick's potential is, and always has been, higher than any other QB in that draft. That was what was said back then, and it still holds true now.

Ponder has a pop gun arm. Surprised if he's still the Vikings starting QB in 2014.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Ponder has a pop gun arm. Surprised if he's still the Vikings starting QB in 2014.

This. Vikings fans are starting to call him Christian Sanchez.
too soo, Dalton has proved himself so much more than Collin's 2 games bro
To all of the folks who say this is premature, Kaepernicks stats came against the Bears and the Saints. Two teams with great defenses, the Saints blitzed 15 times in the first 3 quarters.

A LOT of average qb stats come when they are down by several scores, the defense gives them all of the underneath dump off garbage to run out the clock. Kaepernick had to earn all of the yards yesterday.

My favorite play was when they where in the I formation, he dropped back, the defenders kept contain and where crashing in, Kaepernick stepped up a few steps, stepped into the throw and hit Delanie Walker for 25 yards. That was a play of beauty that most qb's do not make.

Kaepernicks stat of over 20 yard plays is what jumps off the page to me. defensive coordinators now need to respect the 49ers ability to stretch the field.
Lets come back to this in a 3 years. Dalton, Newton are way ahead of everyone else right now..statistically speaking. If Kap keeps stating and wins a playoff game...then we can talk...
The Saints, who are giving up 450 yards a game, are a great defense?
Scott Tolzien: even bester
Kap [still to early to conclude] seems a much more complete QB than all of the one's you mentioned except Dalton. His pocket poise, ball placement accuracy, decision making and running ability exceed the other. Cam may or may not be a better runner but not by much if he is.

I'm not sure but I think Dalton started every game last year and this and the experience has helped his performance.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by buck:
More than a little.

I wanted the team to draft Kaepernick. Prior to the last two games, he has not shown much.
The last two games sure indicate that he has the potential to a better than average quarterback.

Cam Newton looked great last year, but not so much this year. In fact,some are now saying Cam is a bust.

That's because Cam Newton is an athlete playing quarterback. He's a running QB all the way with questionable decision-making, teams have game-planned against him and been able to shut him down repeatedly this year. His record against winning teams is like 2-10. Now I get that Carolina isn't the most talented team, but it certainly isn't the worst and he really hasn't progressed from last year. He hasn't regressed either, its that teams have figured him out so he's getting a lot less touchdowns and has been quite ineffective at times. He doesn't seem fluid or natural and I don't know if he's ever going to be able to turn it around to become the quarterback that Carolina needs him to be.

Hes playing for the worst coach in the league. Seriously Ron Rivara is the scariest coach i have ever seen. Makes Mariucci look like Mike Martz
After watching Alex for 7 years, im surprised none of you realize the effect of terrible coaching has on young quarterbacks. Plus who is Cam throwing to? A guy who is 5'9'' is obviously their only threat. Bet if Cam had AJ Green and Sanu and that TE from Oklahoma and a defense that wasnt terrible he wouldnt be talked about at all negatively.
Here is an interesting story from before the 2011 draft. This guy trained both Kaepernick and Newton, and what he said about them still sounds good now. Plus, the video of Kaep leading up to the 2011 draft is an interesting watch.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f54896/article/kaepernick-holds-slight-athletic-edge-over-newton-trainer-says
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Right now I like Dalton more, but Kaep has shown well in his two starts.

Ya, Dalton started out a little rough this year but straightened it out. If Kaep avoids being predictable, he'll end up being the best or second best QB of that draft class.
Originally posted by PineNut:
Here is an interesting story from before the 2011 draft. This guy trained both Kaepernick and Newton, and what he said about them still sounds good now. Plus, the video of Kaep leading up to the 2011 draft is an interesting watch.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f54896/article/kaepernick-holds-slight-athletic-edge-over-newton-trainer-says

Great stuff right there. I was big on Kaep in the draft so I'm surprised I never saw this.

Better late then never though. Thanks for the link.
Right now i would say that Dalton still has the edge as he has the larger sample size.

I will say that i have been extremely impressed with Kaep pocket awareness and willingness to hang in the pocket. Also when he is actually forced out of the pocet, he seems to be always looking to pass before run. He has made some big plays that way.

Harbaugh and Alex have obviously had a good influence on the Kid, and he seems determined to become a pocket passer, which is necissary to be successful in this league regardless of athleticism.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early. Ask me again in 3 to 4 years.

Or at least wait until CK has played in a few games where almost everything goes wrong. Only then we would know the true nature of a QB.