LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Right place at right time, but Kaepernick might be the best qb of the 2011 class.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, christian ponder, Andy Dalton, all got picked before Kaepernick, yet he might become the best nfl qb of the 2011 draft class.

That is OK, Kaepernick was ignored out of high school, the only school to offer him a scholarship was university of nevada reno. His talent level raised all boats and the wolfpack kicked arse under Kaepernick.

Watching his footwork in the pocket, evading the rush, throwing for 20 plus yards just puts a smile on my face.

Thank you Baalke and Harbaugh for drafting Kaepernick.
Just a little premature
Dalton and Ponder have potential to be very good, but Kaepernick's potential is, and always has been, higher than any other QB in that draft. That was what was said back then, and it still holds true now.
I'd take him over all on that list. I'm a Reno native though so maybe I'm a tad bias
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Just a little premature

Not by much though. If Kaep continues to start and has success in the playoffs, he will be viewed as the best QB from this draft by the end of the year.. I'd take him over Cam and Dalton, no question about it.
only time will tell but our pick is looking good thus far.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Very very premature but Dalton and Kaepernick will be the best 2 QBs from this class when all is said and done. Newton looks like a VY redux(maybe a shrink and or coaching change could fix him), Jake Locker is a white VY(50% completion rate after 10 games shows that barring drastic improvement he'll be sub-60% rate passer), Ponder looks to have potential but take away Harvin or AP and he is below marginal, Gabbert is Alex Smith without the mental toughness and looks set to lose his job to Henne. Yes Dalton has AJ Green but he looked pro-ready from the get go and he's carried his team already.
Just a little premature

thats the reason i exist
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Dalton and Ponder have potential to be very good, but Kaepernick's potential is, and always has been, higher than any other QB in that draft. That was what was said back then, and it still holds true now.

Ponder's garbage. He's all hype. He had an amazingly lucky performance against the 49ers but regressed to his normal baseline, which in the case of yesterday, resulted in interceptions. He easily could have been picked 3 or 4 times in the 49ers game but each pass was landing on the mark, sometimes without him even looking. He's the second coming of Mark Sanchez.

Currently I've got Dalton ranked at the top of that class, with Newton second simply due to his physical abilities, however that gets old and he'll get downgraded quickly if he doesn't progress. Jake Locker always had accuracy issues in college, not sure why people magically expected that to change in the pro's. Gabbert is a sissified version of Alex Smith with less intelligence.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Just a little premature

More than a little.

I wanted the team to draft Kaepernick. Prior to the last two games, he has not shown much.
The last two games sure indicate that he has the potential to a better than average quarterback.

Cam Newton looked great last year, but not so much this year. In fact,some are now saying Cam is a bust.

Originally posted by buck:
More than a little.

I wanted the team to draft Kaepernick. Prior to the last two games, he has not shown much.
The last two games sure indicate that he has the potential to a better than average quarterback.

Cam Newton looked great last year, but not so much this year. In fact,some are now saying Cam is a bust.

That's because Cam Newton is an athlete playing quarterback. He's a running QB all the way with questionable decision-making, teams have game-planned against him and been able to shut him down repeatedly this year. His record against winning teams is like 2-10. Now I get that Carolina isn't the most talented team, but it certainly isn't the worst and he really hasn't progressed from last year. He hasn't regressed either, its that teams have figured him out so he's getting a lot less touchdowns and has been quite ineffective at times. He doesn't seem fluid or natural and I don't know if he's ever going to be able to turn it around to become the quarterback that Carolina needs him to be.
He very well might turn out to be the best of the class and be the leader we need.

He did get drafted by the best team and coaching staff, which accounts for alot in and of itself. He basically got handed the keys to a caddie so we will all see how he handles it the rest of this year and hopefully thru the playoffs to a superbowl.
Originally posted by MILFS:
only time will tell but our pick is looking good thus far.

Agree
Right now I like Dalton more, but Kaep has shown well in his two starts.
10 quarters of play. Wow! Serious?

Cam (not a fan) had the best rookie season of all time. And look what D coordinators are doing to him now that they have loads if film on him.

Crazy.
Share 49ersWebzone