LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Right place at right time, but Kaepernick might be the best qb of the 2011 class.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Just a little premature

Just a little
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by buck:
More than a little.

I wanted the team to draft Kaepernick. Prior to the last two games, he has not shown much.
The last two games sure indicate that he has the potential to a better than average quarterback.

Cam Newton looked great last year, but not so much this year. In fact,some are now saying Cam is a bust.

That's because Cam Newton is an athlete playing quarterback. He's a running QB all the way with questionable decision-making, teams have game-planned against him and been able to shut him down repeatedly this year. His record against winning teams is like 2-10. Now I get that Carolina isn't the most talented team, but it certainly isn't the worst and he really hasn't progressed from last year. He hasn't regressed either, its that teams have figured him out so he's getting a lot less touchdowns and has been quite ineffective at times. He doesn't seem fluid or natural and I don't know if he's ever going to be able to turn it around to become the quarterback that Carolina needs him to be.

That's a good point. A lot of good mobile running/throwing qb have had success but in the end they still need a good offensive system and the rest of the other guys on the team just like any other pocket passer qb. Other than Young, who's another dual threat qb that won the SB. I honestly don't remember.

A couple of other young dual threat qb that plateaued after a couple of years -- Vince Young, Cam Newton, and to some degree Vick and McNair..maybe. I think it's more than themselves. I think team have figured out how to defend the type of offense that is run for those qb also.

Does this mean the same for Kaep... Not sure. We do have a very good running game to compliment Kaep to help him out. I don't think any qb can be successful for long without that. Look at Rodgers and Eli right now. They are winning but struggled every other game throwing the hell out of the ball. I think Kaep does have a better chance with Harbaugh.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM ]
Originally posted by UKNiners:
10 quarters of play. Wow! Serious?

Cam (not a fan) had the best rookie season of all time. And look what D coordinators are doing to him now that they have loads if film on him.

Crazy.

In 10 quarters of play I've seen Kaepernick look a hell of a lot more fluid in the pocket and as a passer than Cam Newton who basically likes to play either "chuck and duck" downfield to Steve Smith or take off and run. Not difficult to see why teams have been able to more easily defend that this year.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That's a good point. A lot of good mobile running/throwing qb have had success but in the end they still need a good offensive system and the rest of the other guys on the team just like any other pocket passer qb. Other than Young, who's another dual threat qb that won the SB. I honestly don't remember.

A couple of other young dual threat qb that plateaued after a couple of years -- Vince Young, Cam Newton, and to some degree Vick and McNair..maybe. I think it's more than themselves. I think team have figured out how to defend the type of offense that is run for those qb also.

Does this mean the same for Kaep... Not sure. We do have a very good running game to compliment Kaep to help him out. I don't think any qb can be successful for long without that. Look at Rodgers and Eli right now. They are winning but struggled every other game throwing the hell out of the ball. I think Kaep does have a better chance with Harbaugh.

Ultimately QB's have to be able to get it done with their arm as well as their legs, what teams have done is make many of these dual-threat passers one-dimensional although to be fair I always though McNair was pretty solid as a QB, loved his game when he was playing for the Titans.
Cam is potentially the next VY. All I'm saying is lets hold the praise for a second.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Again it is too early to reach conclusions.

but this tidbit from Mike Sando interesting.

Kaepernick, after lighting up the Bears during a 32-7 victory, now has an 85.0 QBR score through two starts. Only Aaron Rodgers (86.1) has a higher score through his first two starts since 2008, the first year for which ESPN's charting data exists. Griffin (83.2) and Andrew Luck (81.9) are next.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/82689/victory-trumps-qb-confusion-for-49ers
[ Edited by buck on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM ]
Kaep has the tools for JH to mold him into a sucessfull QB. As long as he doesn't let it go to his head and keeps listening and studying to get better and works hard to keep the basics he is well on his way. While those of you who are saying it is to premature are right, He has shown nothing but positive progress. From last season to this. From game to game when he went in at the near midway point to the bears game and the Saints game. He went against a very good albiet simplistic bears D and succeeded. He went into one of the most enviroments a visiting team can go into against a D, that although was last, was on a streak and more importantly that loves to blitz and disguise its coverages and made only two mistakes. The only thing that held the O back was the numerous holding calls that killed at least two drives. He paid back his defense by leading the team on a drive from his own 6 that killed 9.5 minutes and although he needed help from moss on one of his two mistakes, they scored a field goal.

However, Kaep is much like Cam, the two major differences however is that Kaep has JH and company, and he is not caught up in his fame like Cam, who, like most sophmores who achieved success in their rookie years start thinking about fortune first and forgot that he needs to keep working, that he hasn't learned it all yet. Dalton and Ponder were more NFL ready, but they do not have much upside compared to Kaep. If Cam was in our enviroment, he would do well with guy like Willis, J Smith, Gore and Staley to keep him grounded. as well as JH riding his arse. So Cam may well fail if they don't get someone prevent from becoming a VY or Vick.

This is one of those situations where hopefully talent and the people who can get the most of it come together like Montana and Walsh, or even Young and Walsh.
Hold up man, Dalton looks like the best so far and some people only branded a backup at best coming into the draft. But I do believe Kap has the potential to be better than him and the rest of this draft.

Cam - He is a talented guy but he is a "me first" type of guy, if he was playing with us, he would have to fix his attitude or he would be riding the bench. Kaep has the same type of skillset as Cam but not as big and physical.

Gabbert - LOL suxxors

Ponder - He was my man crush before last year and I wanted to grab him so bad until vikings reached badly for him. He has looked alright so far in his career but has very little weapons besides Peterson, harvin and sometimes Rudolph.

But Given the small sample size that we have on Kap, he shows that he can become the best out of the pack and hopefully win us a couple of superbowls
He may well be. It's too early. But he looks great so far. The raw talent is off the charts.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early. Ask me again in 3 to 4 years.

Considering Kaep's got the best coaching/supporting cast around him vs the other 2011 QB's. I like his chances to eventually become the top QB from the 2011 class.
[ Edited by SFrush on Nov 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM ]
kaep has a shot to be the best but right now i like dalton and if carolina wasnt so damn dysfunctional theres nothing wrong with cam. his first year was awesome. way too early to say kaep is the best but he definitely looks like a keeper.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Just a little premature

Why have this kind of thinking though? I'm an Alex guy but Kap is a Niner too! Of course he's the best
I would have taken him at #1 (not for the Niners necessarily, because I was and always have had faith in Alex Smith and I am still disappointed in how this entire situation was handled). There was absolutely no rhyme or reason that Cam Newton (who is inferior in every single way and less experienced) was a better prospect.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:20 AM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Kaep has the tools for JH to mold him into a sucessfull QB. As long as he doesn't let it go to his head and keeps listening and studying to get better and works hard to keep the basics he is well on his way. While those of you who are saying it is to premature are right, He has shown nothing but positive progress. From last season to this. From game to game when he went in at the near midway point to the bears game and the Saints game. He went against a very good albiet simplistic bears D and succeeded. He went into one of the most enviroments a visiting team can go into against a D, that although was last, was on a streak and more importantly that loves to blitz and disguise its coverages and made only two mistakes. The only thing that held the O back was the numerous holding calls that killed at least two drives. He paid back his defense by leading the team on a drive from his own 6 that killed 9.5 minutes and although he needed help from moss on one of his two mistakes, they scored a field goal.

However, Kaep is much like Cam, the two major differences however is that Kaep has JH and company, and he is not caught up in his fame like Cam, who, like most sophmores who achieved success in their rookie years start thinking about fortune first and forgot that he needs to keep working, that he hasn't learned it all yet. Dalton and Ponder were more NFL ready, but they do not have much upside compared to Kaep. If Cam was in our enviroment, he would do well with guy like Willis, J Smith, Gore and Staley to keep him grounded. as well as JH riding his arse. So Cam may well fail if they don't get someone prevent from becoming a VY or Vick.

This is one of those situations where hopefully talent and the people who can get the most of it come together like Montana and Walsh, or even Young and Walsh.

Kaepernick is a better runner than Cam. He has a stronger arm. He isn't a f**king idiot either (see; Cam's entire college career virtually) and his college career indicated immense talent. He wasn't a football guy in high school, he was a multisport super athlete. But he chose football. And when he dedicated himself (and it should be noted he started almost immediately because coaches saw the immense talent - when you can run and t hrow like that it doesn't matter how your mental game is, you can make plays) he showed steady improvement culminating with an electric final season in college.

The hype train wasn't attached to his bandwagon though, playing at Nevada.
Share 49ersWebzone