There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Aldon Smith's High Speed Car Chase to the Sack Record

I agree he is getting held almost every freakin play! And he has had a few sacks wiped out on some questionable penalties.
he was mugged and held on almost every play and the refs all saw it but zero holding calls. I don't get it!
Refs could call holding on every single play. What happens to Aldon is nothing that doesn't happen to other OLBs. The fact is, without Justin Smith demanding double teams constantly, Aldon Smith is just another OLB. He did a very poor job on runs coming to his side vs Seattle. Easily his weakest game this season.
The old Boston Celtics theory was that you foul every play, that way, they figure the refs can't call it every play, so you get away with most of it.

It's the only way to stop Aldon actually, I don't blame them for doing it. But Aldon needs to learn how to SELL it to the refs. Do a spin move or something so the refs can at least see the tug.

Also, Aldon also needs to learn how to knock their hands down before they get a chance to hold. That's what Andre Carter was good at.
Originally posted by dj43:
Refs could call holding on every single play. What happens to Aldon is nothing that doesn't happen to other OLBs. The fact is, without Justin Smith demanding double teams constantly, Aldon Smith is just another OLB. He did a very poor job on runs coming to his side vs Seattle. Easily his weakest game this season.
If this was true manny lawson would be a living legend. I know it could be called a lot, normaly i don't care but this seems different. The holding aldon is getting is some of the worst i have seen in my 30 years of watching football!

He was in Wilson's face plenty of times, it's just that Wilson escaped him. You act as if he never broke through the line.
Smith will retire one day, and Aldon will have to rely on his own skills to be consistently good.

Good players are always fouled, no matter what the sport. He has to learn to take advantage of this.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

He was in Wilson's face plenty of times, it's just that Wilson escaped him. You act as if he never broke through the line.
My point was about how many times Seattle was able to run off their left side (Aldon's side) and Smith wound up well off the play. Aldon did not do a good job setting the edge on run plays. Of course, part of that was the fact that without JS, Russell Okung was able to target Aldon and with a 50 pound weight advantage, just drove him out of the play.

It isn't worth making a big deal about but Aldon was not giving much heat to Wilson from what I could see on the screen.
More of it has to do with Justin Smith being out...
Because they want the poster boy Watts to break the record not Aldon and I think it's BS hope he will get it this week game....
as an offensive tackle, if you hold so that you have the shoulder pads within your grasp and you keep your elbows bent, it's not "holding" in the eyes of the refs. that's the issue. it is technically "holding", but the refs only call when your elbows are straight and you're still grasping something. other than that, it can be gotten away with. it's because DL can hold the s**it out of you to get off, so you need to keep the "look" of pass protection. it's a kind of "checks and balances" between the OL and DL
Originally posted by 49erJim:
he was mugged and held on almost every play and the refs all saw it but zero holding calls. I don't get it!

J.R. Sweezy and Paul McQuistan were called for holding....There were 2 holding calls in that game against Seattle.
4sacks this game. Eff the powers at be!
If Aldon played with then intensity of Fred Dean, then he would've had at least 25 sacks by now.
He's young, he'll get better.