LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the Rams game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
why the heck are you guys re watching it lol

Can be painful, but it also provides some enlightenment.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Someone should pay you for this Marvin because your posts are worth it.

We could easily have lost and we could easily have won. But a tie is far better than a loss when we get to playoff seeding.

I would really like to see Alex versus the Bears' D. I am afraid that CK does not have the experience to handle that and we would lose due to multiple turnovers.

go for it man, he accepts PayPal.
Just one thing I've noticed this year (being at the games) is the explicit displays of frustration by WRs, out on the field right after a play. This isn't college where a guy has to have 2 yards on the DB to be "open". In the NFL half a step is "open", and Alex Smith consistently either, A) doesn't see them, or B) doesn't have the confidence to make the throw. It's not just Moss, although I've seen it more from him than anyone else. On Sunday there was a play in 2nd Qtr where Laurinaitis, yes, a LB, ended up covering Moss 30+ yards downfield and Smith didn't see it. And with Moss, he doesn't even have to be open, if he's singled up just give him a chance to make the play...and he's done it plenty of times even if he's doubled.

Also saw that hold-the-ball-too-long hesiation with Kaepernick, although it's hard to fault him when this is the first "real" playing time he's seen. That raises another issue...my belief is that if you're going to have an inexperienced young QB as the backup, then you HAVE to get him some meaningful snaps in games, and no, not just the cutesy Wildcat plays here and there. Moot point now, since hopefully his stint in the Rams game will pay dividends.

If the Vikings game raised an eyebrow, and the Giants game a red flag, then by now the PANIC button should be getting pushed re: the Niners run D, especially up the middle. Coupled with their inability to consistently pressure the QB and propensity to get toasted by quick slot receivers, it really is a pretty shocking dropoff from last year. I never expected them to have another +30 t/o ratio, but I just didn't see them underperforming like this. I know, they're still statistically not giving up a lot of points, but if they don't get things fixed pretty quick then they're going to find themselves having to scrap just to make the playoffs. Oh well, good thing their top 2 draft picks were a WR and RB that haven't even dressed yet...not like they could have added any defensive depth with those picks.

And STs, I think "disaster" isn't too far from accurate. Cover teams have been abysmal, particularly on punts, and Akers....well, you know. I'm not really into capology and all that, but just seems that letting Jones and especially Costanzo go were mistakes, especially in light of the fact that they spent X-million $ for Brandon Jacobs...I think he has at least suited up once or twice this year, right?

4 of next 7 games are on the road, and that's with two separate 2-consecutive away games. Next 3 games are tough, Bears, @ NO, @ STL. 3-0 would be awesome, 2-1 is what I'm realistically hoping for, 1-2 digs a little bit of a hole, 0-3 would be a disaster.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
Great analysis as usual, thanks marvin49
^^^ This one is going to get FLAMED!
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ This one is going to get FLAMED!

if u mean that long one by Del? then I truly stopped reading early in.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
why the heck are you guys re watching it lol

Rams came out to kick ass while the 9ers were sleeping after a bye

When Smith went out you lose prob half the playbook so that is what it is

Far too many mistakes on D and ST.

Rams going for it at their own 10 on the fake punt took major ballz was a game changer and they did it TWICE

9ers better kill the bears of Harbs head might explode
i have been told to calm down many times this week,, fine but if we do or not do the same s**t monday we did sunday, we will get the same result and then i wonder how many people will be telling me to calm down,,, there are just two many things , negative things, that are a recurring factor in the losses we have. we are not solving them cuz they keep f**king happening
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I gotta tell you guys, just watched the game again and here are my concerns

Great and troubling post, NC...

As is my SOP, I am focusing first on offense... slowly.. and am not excited to re-visit the D side of the ball. All that you stated fits with my recollection though.

We simply HAVE to do something different with Rogers. No sense in paying him top dollar to do what any UDFA CB could do out there.

I don't think some people are being fair to Sopoaga about his season play.. but I will say I think he hasn't been as clearly dominant as he was last year.

People hate reading this... but I am saying it anyway. I am not liking the 3-4 for us. I know it is probably not wise to switch mid-season.. so I am not endorsing that... but in the offseason? Hmmmmm....

Look forward to your read/perspectives.

Agree with the Sopoaga comments. Many of those runs up the gut where when RJF was in there. Also, collective fail along the DL with crucial penalties, examples of Justin pinching inside to stop so Jackson cuts back left and Aldon had lost his containment, McDonald doing next to nothing, LBers not FILLING the holes timely (you don't want a guy like Jackson getting momentum), tackling high, standing around watching one guy try to bring him down instead of team tackling, two-hand touch "tackling," etc. Notice how the Rams used multiple TE's and wham'd blocked up, picked up blitzes, etc. Collective fail.

Rams needed this game to save their season and played like it. Period. We didn't wake up until mid-way through the 4th quarter.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
WTF just watched the vid at nfl network

over a minute lost in the game while the 9ers had the ball clock just kept running during a measurement

for real?
Agree with many of the comments above. This team is NOT as good as last year's product. But I'm more worried about our offense because I feel adjustments can be made to ST and our defense to get them back on track.

I'm more concerned with our lack of creativity on offense. I see a lot of stubborness coming from both Roman and Harbaugh. While I do agree that our bread and butter is the run game, I don't see us mixing it up enough to keep defenses honest. Everything is fine and dandy if we are either ahead or in a close game but if not then we have no choice but to abandon the run and then all hell breaks lose when we are forced to throw the ball.

This team has enough weapons to flip the switch and throw the ball should we be forced to do so. But sure seeems like any pass over 15 yards is a struggle and it shouldn't be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times did we throw the ball downfield against the Rams? Not even one 30 yard attempt to wideout. Again, I see stubborness.

Also, against the Rams, we were both unprepared and playing scared. They beat us in almost every phase of the game and frankly we lucky to come away with a tie...
[ Edited by pete98146 on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM ]

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I gotta tell you guys, just watched the game again and here are my concerns

Great and troubling post, NC...

As is my SOP, I am focusing first on offense... slowly.. and am not excited to re-visit the D side of the ball. All that you stated fits with my recollection though.

We simply HAVE to do something different with Rogers. No sense in paying him top dollar to do what any UDFA CB could do out there.

I don't think some people are being fair to Sopoaga about his season play.. but I will say I think he hasn't been as clearly dominant as he was last year.

People hate reading this... but I am saying it anyway. I am not liking the 3-4 for us. I know it is probably not wise to switch mid-season.. so I am not endorsing that... but in the offseason? Hmmmmm....

Do yo care to elaborate? What would the 4-3 look like?
WTF just watched the vid at nfl network

over a minute lost in the game while the 9ers had the ball clock just kept running during a measurement

for real?

Yes, it was around the 13:25 mark when there was a scrum on a play where they had to separate everyone and spot the ball, then do a measurement. It seemed like the entire Upper Box on our (home) side was screaming STOP THE CLOCK...but it kept running. They finally stopped it around 12:25, and THEN before next play they stopped play again to "check the clock"...and then said the clock was fine.

Just saw this:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20957297/nfl-admits-clock-error-in-49ersrams-game
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
2-17-SF 36 (14:22) (Shotgun) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 38 for 2 yards (55-J.Laurinaitis, 98-K.Langford).

3-15-SF 38 (13:40) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 15-M.Crabtree to STL 48 for 14 yards (43-C.Dahl, 31-C.Finnegan). Caught at SF 42. 10-yds YAC Measurement indicate ball short of first down.

4-1-STL 48 (12:02) 11-A.Smith up the middle to STL 47 for 1 yard (98-K.Langford). Measurement indicated first-down.

1-10-STL 47 (11:28) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 15-M.Crabtree to STL 28 for 19 yards (27-Q.Mikell). Caught at STL 32. 4-yds YAC

seriously that's messed up

Look forward to your read/perspectives.

It is slow-going, but I expect to at least complete the offensive plays... ... just never enough hours in the day lately.

on a random note.. I was livid over a 3rd quarter screen pass to Amendola that led to both Goldson and Rogers missing the tackle on... unacceptable. Rogers is quickly becoming my next best enemy.
Well-thought out post as usual.

Here are some of my thoughts.

The Rams are MUCH better than they've been given credit for -in all 3 phases f the game. Fisher is a very good coach and it showed during the game. He's not perfect but they are a much improved team. They scouted us very well and their play-calling had us on the ropes. I don't believe in "what-if's" BUT the fact is penalties really cost them the game.

Amandola owned us a good part of the game. Rodgers WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over-rated.

The game is still won in the trenches and we better address the DLine in the draft & FA. Last season Rogers & the rest of the secondary played better in great part due to the pressure the DLine put on the opposition. Ray Mac is hot & cold, Soap needs some soap and Justin cannot play 95% + of snaps and be as effective like last year. If JH & coaches are so high on Tukufu[sp], Dobbs and Ian Williams - then why aren't they in the rotation more? Linemen are hitting our LB's and it is showing.

Brooks has been playing better every week.

Goldson STILL is making the stupid penalties that will eventually come to causing a loss [I hope not]

By far, Iupati's Goodwin & Boones' [he's one of my favorites] worst game. The trenches again.

Kap looked much better in the later parts of the game. VERY encouraging for the future.

Alex was 7-8 and on his way to another quality game. I'm still MUCH more confident with him in control for the rest of the season and for next year too with Kap getting more quality reps.

The obvious is a new kicker in FA. If he beats out Akers in the TCamp competition then he'll be the kicker.

Whitner look slow and Old.

Hopefully JH and staff can fix the problems that need addressing.

Thanks again Marvin. I really look forward to the intelligent football posts you produce.
Share 49ersWebzone