LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Why not trade Vernon? The dude only shows up once in a while. He's been too busy out campaigning for Obama. Isn't he making a ridiculous amount of money too? Blocking tight ends aren't hard to find...
[ Edited by zomg_its_ryan on Nov 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Wish we could give Goldson the money from Rogers and keep both and let go of Carlos. IMO

Or, we cut Rogers to pay bowman after the 2013 season.
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Why not trade Vernon? The dude only shows up once in a while. He's been too busy out campaigning for Obama. Isn't he making a ridiculous amount of money too? Blocking tight ends aren't hard to find...

...and Justin Smith! He hasn't made any Wow plays so far this year! Must be slipping...Dobbs can do just as well. So much dead wood on this team, it makes one wonder how they won 6 of 8 games!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Here bro..Read this before posting again.
Like this season, The 2013 Niners will be a team capable of winning it all. Bowman is an elite ILB, so the concept is simple. Having Bowman on the field makes the team better.

Goldson's 28 and is making $6.2 million this season. He wants Eric Weddle money (Weddle is a year younger and is making $7.6 million this season), along with the security that comes with a multi-year contract. Still, the Niners should franchise tag him again in 2013, or give him 2 years $14 million, with $8 million guaranteed. Definitely reasonable!

If Sopoaga demands more than he's currently making ($4.9 million), I'm ok with letting him go. However, I think he's a proud Niner and would like to finish his career in red and gold. 2 years, $10 million makes sense to me. He's an every-down player and is a great run stopping DT, but the Niners do need to draft an eventual replacement.

Ricky Jean-Francois is a depth guy.

Justin Smith won't cost a lot at this point in his career, and remember that he's already received his "pay the man" contract (he's making $8 million this season). I'm thinking one year, $3 million MAYBE for 2014. He'll be 35, so who knows, he may even retire.

Let Tarell Brown and Donte Whitner play out their existing contracts and re-evaluate them at the end of the 2013 season.

Re-signing Bowman is important. Again, he's not just a good player, he's an elite player in the NFL. For me, the philosophy of "building through the draft" has two parts.
1. Build through the draft
2. Keep the good players
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You guys are F'n insane. Whoever said we should trade Bowman should be taken out back and shot. Seriously.

The ONLY reason any of our DB's have success is because of the pressure our front 7 creates. You do not trade an ALL-PRO MLB who has 10 more great seasons for a FS. Never. Never. Never.

The key to our defensive success is to keep our front 7 in-tact.

This draft is insanely deep at safety.
I agree. I don't think people realize that teams CANNOT run on us. Not that they will simply have lower running numbers, but that 75% of the teams that play us will COMPLETELY ABANDON the run. Anyone in favor of trading Bowman does not realize what this does for a defense. I honestly believe if we are patient and allow the process to work itself, we can sign Goldson in 2013 to a long term deal and extend Bowman. We have a new stadium in the works whch will bring in more revenue and the cap is expected to go up in 2014. Deals can be redone to free up more space as well. There are certain core players that we need to keep and Bowman is one of them.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Some people drink to much
This is a typical Webzone thread. Bowman is signed through the 2013 season. Why would you even consider trading a player when the niners are in win now mode for the immediate future????

7/30/2010: Signed a four-year, $2.492 million contract. The deal included a $702,248 signing bonus. 2012: $540,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

Now the Niners can submit an extension to him, if he wants to sign, OK, if not, he is signed for next season and can be franchised in 2014. So they effectively have him for 2 more years.

However if they could get Larry Grant to re sing for four years, then the team could have the luxury of exploring the opportunity to trade Bowman, if they get a good offer then it could be considered. This is what a good FO does.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Wish we could give Goldson the money from Rogers and keep both and let go of Carlos. IMO

Or, we cut Rogers to pay bowman after the 2013 season.

Definitely this!

Id rather trade Willis. He's old, slow, about to tie the knot and get fat off that young, tight, and delicious p***y. Besides, Bowman took away the title of "tackling machine" away from Willis last year. Willis can no longer chase WR's from behind and is always a step behind the elite TE's. only a matter of time before the likes of Anthony Dixon, or better yet Kendall Hunter are trucking Willis in practice on an everyday basis.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

...and Justin Smith! He hasn't made any Wow plays so far this year! Must be slipping...Dobbs can do just as well. So much dead wood on this team, it makes one wonder how they won 6 of 8 games!

I find it more comical that when you typed that out you probably laughed to yourself. I, on the other hand, don't find it funny...
If it comes down to Bowman or Goldson, I think we have to take Goldson and move Grant into his position.

If money is not the problem then it would be crazy to give Bowman up.

But I would not give up Bowman before we need to.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
YES WTF ARE YOU THINKING?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I find it more comical that when you typed that out you probably laughed to yourself. I, on the other hand, don't find it funny...

There you go...humor doesn't always translate. I was sure you were joking regarding VD.
Share 49ersWebzone