There are 186 users in the forums

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

• Ruhl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I thought that prior to the start of the season. But I now believe Goldson is way, way, way better than he was last year -- his coverage skills have dramatically improved.

He's an asset for sure, I'd like to keep him as much as the next guy... as long as the juice is worth the squeeze. If he show's consistency through the back end of this schedule, I'll be sold. He'll have a good test next week. The Bears have a pretty solid ground game, so I'm assuming we'll be in that base 3-4 cover 2 shell more often than not. Especially if we dont get on the board early. That will, inevitably, throw Goldson into deep coverage of Marshall on monday night. Nothing like 6-4 230, running 4.5 to test your mettle
Yes! Unicorns and Gumdrops for everyone!!

Look, I don't know how polished your arithmetic is, but restructuring only does one of two things:
1. smooths contracts evenly across seasons
2. borrows from the future.

it doesn't do anything more than that.

Silly me! That's why teams do that in order to sign people! Do you always feel the need to be so pedantic?
Originally posted by nannite:
But what would be over paying for a MLB, maybe the 10th pick in the draft? So we trade an all-pro for a player who probably has a 60% of being any good at all and maybe a 5% chance of being an all-pro? A more logical trade would be straight up for another player. But trading an all-pro at a low value position wont bring back an all pro at a high value position. I can see something like a Crabtree-type player coming back.

I don't see how we can recoup much value through a trade.

Well, do you have confidence in our ability to draft? I do.

Let's say we get a 1st and a 3rd from BAL for Bowman (22nd and 86th pick). With the 22nd pick, we take DL Jesse Williams from Alabama. Then, with one our three 3rd round picks, we take shayne skov.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Yunchang:
I would not want Culliver to be converted to safety. He has huge upside and is rapidly becoming the best cb the Niners have. That would be stupid. Maybe Carlos can be converted to FS.

Cully was recruited predominately for his safety play at SC. The dude has upside regardless if he's playing CB or FS. Has Carlos ever been anything aside from CB? We're paying Carlos loads of money to guard the #1, I don't think asking him to covert to FS at 31 is realistic, by any stretch.

I didn't say it was ideal to switch Cully, but on the same note, if we cant keep Goldson its a feasible option, outside of the draft. Cully is too good to be a nickel corner imo.
Originally posted by Ruhl:
Stop referencing the Dallas game last year, Madieu Williams and Reggie Smith barely count towards the defensive 11, let alone a FS. I'd like to see Goldson work out a deal, but if it doesn't happen, we'll be fine. We have options. Even if we don't address the position early in the draft, Cully could convert into a nice coverage FS and I'd feel pretty comfortable with Perrish Cox coming in as our Nickel man.

Thats what I was gonna say. We didnt lose that game because Goldson didnt play. The whole defense fell apart at the end of that game.
Like you said. I like Goldson and hope we can get him on a reasonable deal, if not we can trade up in the first and get one of the top safeties. Will be way way cheaper than Goldson and possibly just as good on the field.
Originally posted by Ruhl:
I would not want Culliver to be converted to safety. He has huge upside and is rapidly becoming the best cb the Niners have. That would be stupid. Maybe Carlos can be converted to FS.

Cully was recruited predominately for his safety play at SC. The dude has upside regardless if he's playing CB or FS. Has Carlos ever been anything aside from CB? We're paying Carlos loads of money to guard the #1, I don't think asking him to covert to FS at 31 is realistic, by any stretch.

I didn't say it was ideal to switch Cully, but on the same note, if we cant keep Goldson its a feasible option, outside of the draft. Cully is too good to be a nickel corner imo.

Because CB is far more important position than safety and the ideal time time to convert CBs to safety is when they get older. GB just did it with Charles Woodson. The steelers did it with Rod Woodson. Its done to extend their careers.
first three rounds if we get a 1st and a 3rd from BAL:

22. Eric Reid, S, LSU
32. Jesse Willisms, DL, Alabama
64. Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
68. Louis Nix, DL/NT, Notre Dame
86. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
96. Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State
Yes! Unicorns and Gumdrops for everyone!!

Look, I don't know how polished your arithmetic is, but restructuring only does one of two things:
1. smooths contracts evenly across seasons
2. borrows from the future.

it doesn't do anything more than that.

I like your mid 90s attitude towards the salary cap. Its quaint.

Anyway, the NFL is awash in money. The salary cap will continue to rise. Your arguments simply dont exist in todays NFL.

Now...if some team comes in and wants Goldson to be the highest paid safety in the league, that can mess up a teams cap trying to match. But locking in our young players to long term contracts when there will be minimal meddling from other teams wont hurt us. It is the smart thing to do.
Originally posted by nannite:
I like your mid 90s attitude towards the salary cap. Its quaint.

Anyway, the NFL is awash in money. The salary cap will continue to rise. Your arguments simply dont exist in todays NFL.

Now...if some team comes in and wants Goldson to be the highest paid safety in the league, that can mess up a teams cap trying to match. But locking in our young players to long term contracts when there will be minimal meddling from other teams wont hurt us. It is the smart thing to do.

why is it quaint? you're projecting salary cap growth that may not happen!

Google restructuring NFL contracts

It may not, but based on past performance it should. There is no reason for it not to rise. Thursday night games are probably bringing in more money than last year. Fantasy football gets bigger every year.

My speculation is that the league will fix the broken pre-season system and somehow use it in a way that brings them more money.

My point is that salary cap hell is much less a problem in todays NFL than it used to be. It is also that teams dont get into salary cap hell from resigning guys like Bowman. Its guys like Goldson that can give you problems.
It would be crazy but, if the deal is right then it should be considered. However i dont think the reason/driving force behind it should be to extend goldson.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Thats what I was gonna say. We didnt lose that game because Goldson didnt play. The whole defense fell apart at the end of that game.
Like you said. I like Goldson and hope we can get him on a reasonable deal, if not we can trade up in the first and get one of the top safeties. Will be way way cheaper than Goldson and possibly just as good on the field.

Truth. I'm pretty sure it was Whitner who blew the coverage in OT that lead to the FG.

Because CB is far more important position than safety and the ideal time time to convert CBs to safety is when they get older. GB just did it with Charles Woodson. The steelers did it with Rod Woodson. Its done to extend their careers.

I'd agree and respectfully disagree with you at the same time! Saying CB is more important that FS seems circumstantial at best, but beyond that, the two corners you listed are both HoF'ers (Charles will be). I can see extending a player-like-that's career, but Carlos Rogers!?!? I mean, he's a decent corner, but he doesnt belong in the conversation with either of the Woodsons!
[ Edited by Ruhl on Nov 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM ]
Willis and Bowman are going to play together for a long, long time. Their chemistry together is part of what makes this defense so good.
I wouldnt trade Bowman for less than two first round picks. Even then, Id prefer to have him stay here. Unless it was a terrible team like Chiefs or Jags.
Share 49ersWebzone