There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Alex produce big numbers in a pass happy offense?

In a pass happy NFL offense? Probably not... But he is doin pretty good in this balanced, run/PA offense.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jreff22:
wow another anti Alex thread

can we open the Akers thread and make it about Alex as well?

does it make you sad
its stupid that every thread has Alex in it
ANOTHER ALEX SMITH THREAD????????......................DAMN SON!!!!
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by verb1der:
What he do in Utah?

Played against college players.

lol, brilliant!

How did Tim Tebow do in college? (get my point?)

There is no logic in this argument.

How is there no logic in my argument. The original question is could Alex produce in a pass happy offense.....to which someone responded with a one liner about his time in college. Yet, you are saying there is no logic in MY argument? LOL. OK dude.

Tim Tebow wasn't a gunslinger even in college. This isn't about success, it's about throwing the football. Tim didn't throw well even in college. Thus, no logic.

In Tebow's 3 seasons as a starter, he averaged 320 attempts a season, averaged 9.13 yards per attempt, and averaged 27.8 touchdown passes a season.

In Smith's 2 seasons as a starter, he averaged 291 attempts a season, averaged 8.85 yards per attempt, and averaged 23.5 touchdown passes a season

Now tell me again why my post lacks logic.

Waiting for a response to this.....
I have often wondered how football life would have been for Alex, had Frank Gore not burst onto the scene as such a dominant RB. Would we have drafted and planned for so much run-heavy football? So many variables to consider.

If we were to hypothesize a few things... such as: Alex's rookie year sitting on the bench to learn. A consistency at OC and a HC that either knew offense or at least kept his hands away from it. A life without Kwame Harris as a pass protector. Some decent WR weapons added early on. A Vernon Davis being far more polished early on.

If all of these things had been the reality? Yes, I think Alex would have been far more productive in a pass oriented offense for us, had we focused more on making things easy and familiar for him early on. I really think that Alex would have grown quickly from 2007 on, had Norv Turner stuck around. But enough hypothesizing from me... that was then.. this is now. I like what we have going now.. and it's about f**king time!

Thank you, Jim! Go Alex and the Niners!
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for JustinNiner.
that just isnt how we win games. Roman knows how to use his players to their strengths and Alex's strengths is short to medium passes and making decisive reads while being helped by the run game and thats how he picks apart a defense.
Yep, if crap talent like Fitzpatrick can do it, anyone can
  • Amir
  • Veteran
lol no

end thread
I don't think so. Alex has horrible pocket pressence and doesn't know how to slide in the pocket to get more time for his WR to get open or get deep.
Smith proved at Utah and last year that he could play efficient offense and win games without throwing 40 times for 400 yards. Harbaugh recognized this quality in Smith and made sure he stayed in SF.

While Smith passed for many TDs at Utah, he rarely had to pass for more than 250 yards per game to do it. I do agree with earlier posts (949 and others) that reckoned Smith would do well in a spread multi-WR offense.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM ]
Wouldn't be the 1st quarterback in the world to develop from a "game manager" to a "gunslinger".

I think he's more than capable of doing it for us right now, but it's simply not needed or expected from him.
Waiting for a response to this.....

It's pretty much check mate right there. If Alex Smith came out today with what we know about Urban Meyer's offense he would not have been the 1st overall pick.
the way the Giants players were able to read Alex, when it was obvious we had to pass...gives me the impression that he still does things that makes it easier for a defense to know where he is going. So I think it would just lead to more interceptions.

I remember in previous years, lots of folks wanted to "free" Alex...but when we tried, it didn't work out.... I believe we tried to free him the last time we played the Bears in the first half...but he threw an INT that scared Sing into going back to conservative mode for the second half...and thank god Cutler threw 4INTs....and one last one to end the game in the endzone.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Wouldn't be the 1st quarterback in the world to develop from a "game manager" to a "gunslinger".

I think he's more than capable of doing it for us right now, but it's simply not needed or expected from him.

I think Rich Gannon was initially a "game manager" then went into an Elite mode where he and the Raiders had one of the deadliest passing attacks. They were one of the first to successfully exploit teams like the Steelers defense (when they were hot) by spreading them out.

I've always felt that Shaun Hill could be our Rich Gannon, the last few years he was here....until we found a franchise QB.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
What he do in Utah?

Played against college players.

lol, brilliant!

How did Tim Tebow do in college? (get my point?)

There is no logic in this argument.

How is there no logic in my argument. The original question is could Alex produce in a pass happy offense.....to which someone responded with a one liner about his time in college. Yet, you are saying there is no logic in MY argument? LOL. OK dude.

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home