There are 152 users in the forums

Could Alex produce big numbers in a pass happy offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Wouldn't be the 1st quarterback in the world to develop from a "game manager" to a "gunslinger".

I think he's more than capable of doing it for us right now, but it's simply not needed or expected from him.

I think Rich Gannon was initially a "game manager" then went into an Elite mode where he and the Raiders had one of the deadliest passing attacks. They were one of the first to successfully exploit teams like the Steelers defense (when they were hot) by spreading them out.

I've always felt that Shaun Hill could be our Rich Gannon, the last few years he was here....until we found a franchise QB.

Rich Gannon only had 58 total starts in his first 11 years prior to the Raiders.

Alex Smith had 66 starts before this year.

Rich Gannon, in his first year with Gruden, threw for 3,840 yards. That was when Tim Brown was 33 years old and Gannon's next best target was James Jett. Also, Gannon was the focal point of that offense.

This biggest question is why isn't Alex Smith the focal point of our offense? Because running the ball gets a team wins in this league? I find that hard to believe.
Dear lord this thread was created by a Smith hater to bash our starting QB. WTF mods. Do we really need another one of these threads?
Originally posted by taney71:
Dear lord this thread was created by a Smith hater to bash our starting QB. WTF mods. Do we really need another one of these threads?

In a spread, wide-open offense? I'm sure Alex could do okay. You know those relatively quiet, efficient days that Peyton Manning and Drew Brees have when they go 25/35, 280 yards, and a touchdown? That would be Alex in a pass-happy offense. When Peyton and Drew Brees have those days, they get kudos for being patient, disciplined, and efficient. It doesn't matter what offense Alex is in. He'll probably always have the same level of production.

As a quarterback, he makes the throws that the play was designed to make. He doesn't make throws that you're not supposed to make. It's why both his touchdowns AND interceptions are so low. Fans generally hate those 7 yard checkdowns that set-up 3rd and 3, but I'm sure coaches love the fact that Alex makes that decision.

Not being a gunslinger isn't necessarily a bad thing (though it's important that Alex take risks every now and then). I mean, you see what happens with Philip Rivers week in and week out.
Well he's thrown 60 yard TD's before:

Originally posted by Wubbie:
In a spread, wide-open offense? I'm sure Alex could do okay. You know those relatively quiet, efficient days that Peyton Manning and Drew Brees have when they go 25/35, 280 yards, and a touchdown? That would be Alex in a pass-happy offense. When Peyton and Drew Brees have those days, they get kudos for being patient, disciplined, and efficient. It doesn't matter what offense Alex is in. He'll probably always have the same level of production.

As a quarterback, he makes the throws that the play was designed to make. He doesn't make throws that you're not supposed to make. It's why both his touchdowns AND interceptions are so low. Fans generally hate those 7 yard checkdowns that set-up 3rd and 3, but I'm sure coaches love the fact that Alex makes that decision.

Not being a gunslinger isn't necessarily a bad thing (though it's important that Alex take risks every now and then). I mean, you see what happens with Philip Rivers week in and week out.

Cossell? Is that you?

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Well he's thrown 60 yard TD's before:

how about a real one for you?

Originally posted by THEB:
how about a real one for you?

THAT is what I want him to do more!!!

Did you see that!? He knew he wanted to go to Crabs so what does he do? He slides to his right immediately knowing that side was sealed off and he would give his backside tackle extra time. Then he looks the FS off by looking at Vernon. Then he tosses it up to Crabs. Of course, Crabs was a half a yard open on a deep route which is WIDE open in the NFL but Alex's movement and setting the play up for a higher percentage of success was what I liked.

He just doesn't do that enough.

If not this thread they'd just hijack another..........
Does no one remember the Lasers he was throwing around when he out-dueled Drew Brees in the NFCCG???????

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Does no one remember the Lasers he was throwing around when he out-dueled Drew Brees in the NFCCG???????

Was that the saints game?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Hahaha Bingp!

I'm pretty sure most NFL QBs can (not Cassel) sling it, but it isn't the right formula to winnng. Romo threw, what 63 passes and over 400+ yards in a losing effort a couple games ago? Matt Stafford does it all the time and the Lions still lose.

The elite elite Qb's can do it and still win like Rodger or Brady.

Alex can sling just like Stafford, Romo, Bradford all those guys....but those teams lose. Everyone in here is like "ya but he'd turn it over a lot!". Go check out the slinger himself now Staffords INT's, or Romo's. Alex is held in check to only throw high percentage passes, and we win. Which one do you like better, keeping a QB in check and winning, or a bunch of QB passing yards and losing? Your call.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Hahaha Bingp!

I'm pretty sure most NFL QBs can (not Cassel) sling it, but it isn't the right formula to winnng. Romo threw, what 63 passes and over 400+ yards in a losing effort a couple games ago? Matt Stafford does it all the time and the Lions still lose.

The elite elite Qb's can do it and still win like Rodger or Brady.

Alex can sling just like Stafford, Romo, Bradford all those guys....but those teams lose. Everyone in here is like "ya but he'd turn it over a lot!". Go check out the slinger himself now Staffords INT's, or Romo's. Alex is held in check to only throw high percentage passes, and we win. Which one do you like better, keeping a QB in check and winning, or a bunch of QB passing yards and losing? Your call.

How about both and but we would only win cause out of those teams we are the only ones with a defense
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Marsh:
Originally posted by kush:

haha that pic cracks me up
I'm a HUGE T.O. fan...but there is a cute sad kitten one with the same caption. Too funny.

I can't find it ANYWHERE anymore.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by verb1der:
What he do in Utah?

Played against college players.

Uban Meyer told the world before Alex Smith was ever drafted that Alex would never throw a football to a receiver unless "in Alex's mind the receiver was 100% wide open " Alex will never become a gunslinger because it is not in his make up.
Share 49ersWebzone