There are 209 users in the forums

Could Alex produce big numbers in a pass happy offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wish Alex had a little quicker release on his passes, but I am satisfied with his play so far this year , I only hope he continues to develop chemistry with his receivers, the Cards game was a step in the right direction
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
What's the result of the play...

POTD
Originally posted by Joecool:
Have been talking about Alex on 95.7 for a while now. Now they are talking about seeing QB's around the league throwing receivers open...basically, throwing it to covered receivers but placing the ball properly. Difficult to evaluate our receivers because they are not getting this opportunity. Basically, Alex is not making these throws and it is helping us but at the same time, it is hurting us.

Now they are saying Mario Manningham caught a TD in all of their playoff games, especially mentioning the amazing catch in the Superbowl. He said what did Eli do, he threw it to him and gave him a chance. This was after a text from a fan saying if he's watched the other QB's and that they don't produce much better. Then the talk show guy said it's more about the big throws that are made and giving their guys chances.

We are not a team that takes risk and low percentage throws downfield unless it's there to take and Smith is sure that he can beat the safety uncontested. A couple I remember was early in the Seattle game with mixed results to Williams, none connected. Glad we didn't try to do that for the rest of the game but actually ran the ball. In the Cards game we had enough success throwing the underneath, even though there were looks downfield by Smith that was covered. We are a safe passing team. Some of us just have to deal with that. I don't want us to be safe all the time either but that's what most coaches want. And I'm pretty sure that's what Smith is executing out of the passing offense. So far...

Speaking of the ARIZONA game. I think it was with 6:55 left in the 1st, the 49ers ran a play that we have been wanting called on the zone ever since we acquired Moss. It got one player wide open deep and Smith was staring right at the FS or one of the two deep routes.

He checked down.

The play had Moss at Flanker (weak side WR). Vernon was Strong Side TE.
Defensive Presnap Look: Single Safety cheating over showing over the top coverage doubling Moss).
On Alex's drop, Moss heads straight up field and FS immediately moves to help leaving the middle of the field to the right sideline blank. Vernon pushes the Defensive End and runs upfield right into the blank area and veers top a 7 route. He was being single covered by a player who was initially only about 5 yards off of him. He quickly got a step on that player and had nothing but open field to the deep right (WIIIIDE OOOOPEN)!!!

Now Smith hops a couple of times after he hits the top of his drop and is still staring in the direction of the FS that's over Moss. Then he quickly checks it to Gore on a swing pass.

This was a blatant mis-read by Smith. He should have read single safety and Vernon being open on the 7. Since the FS immediately moved to Moss, that should have been automatic progression check to see if Vernon was released, which he was. Smith had great protection. He could have even pump-faked to Moss and quickly threw it up to Vernon. Would have been a possible TD.

If the FS had stayed to still be in reach for the right sideline, he can still pump fake to Vernon and launch one deep to Moss who would be one-on-one.

This is not SAFE play. This is a play that was an easy completion but what was lost was an equally easy big play.

I think it was a swing pass to Gore for 8 or 10 yards. I'm not entirely positive on the time of the play and if it was a FG result or TD resulted drive. However, it still passes up the opportunity to score a TD on one play.

I seriously think opponents see these things and laugh saying that Alex won't throw it so we are going to crowd all the areas he is comfortable with. That's what the better defenses do. No defense can cover all parts of the field but they can leave open the parts that are not seen as strengths or primary throwing areas of the offense.

Safe. You are talking about the playaction play that Gruden himself dissected. Which he said no one was there get it down to Gore. He sounded like he approved of the decision. Smith after playaction whipped his head around to look at Moss then immediately throw to a wideopen Gore underneath of where VD had cleared out 2 defender with him. There was no one with in at least 5 yards of Gore. Result of the play 1st down for Gore on 1st &10. Could Smith have thrown it to VD....Sure VD was open. Can't fault the decision, because it might just be the design of the play.
Safe. You are talking about the playaction play that Gruden himself dissected. Which he said no one was there get it down to Gore. He sounded like he approved of the decision. Smith after playaction whipped his head around to look at Moss then immediately throw to a wideopen Gore underneath of where VD had cleared out 2 defender with him. There was no one with in at least 5 yards of Gore. Result of the play 1st down for Gore on 1st &10. Could Smith have thrown it to VD....Sure VD was open. Can't fault the decision, because it might just be the design of the play.

And see I just think that you + others have a vastly different opinion of what "taking a risk" is than what Joe and I have. When a receiver is streaking wide open downfield, it may be a harder pass to complete...but its certainly not what should be considered a "risky" pass.

You may be content with a 8 yard gain to a checkdown, and at times, I am as well. I am just not ok with a quick checkdown for 8 yards, when we have receivers running past the last defender, and Alex has all the time in the world to scan the field.

But this is why he would not be a consistent stat stuffer. Unfortunately, these are also plays that we desperately need him to make if we are playing better teams when scoring TDs will not be easy. These are the exact types of plays he did not throw vs Seattle when scoring was tough. It's not about which result did happen, it is also about which result did he pass up on.
For the record, he didn't quickly look in Moss's direction, he hopped a couple of times while he was looking that way.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

POTD

Why?
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by verb1der:
What he do in Utah?

Played against college players.

lol, brilliant!

How did Tim Tebow do in college? (get my point?)

There is no logic in this argument.

How is there no logic in my argument. The original question is could Alex produce in a pass happy offense.....to which someone responded with a one liner about his time in college. Yet, you are saying there is no logic in MY argument? LOL. OK dude.

Tim Tebow wasn't a gunslinger even in college. This isn't about success, it's about throwing the football. Tim didn't throw well even in college. Thus, no logic.
wow another anti Alex thread

can we open the Akers thread and make it about Alex as well?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:
wow another anti Alex thread

can we open the Akers thread and make it about Alex as well?

does it make you sad
Another Alex thread? Oh WZ you never cease to amaze me...

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

POTD

Why?

it was the whole exchange...
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by English:
What he do in Utah?

Played against college players.

lol, brilliant!

How did Tim Tebow do in college? (get my point?)

There is no logic in this argument.

How is there no logic in my argument. The original question is could Alex produce in a pass happy offense.....to which someone responded with a one liner about his time in college. Yet, you are saying there is no logic in MY argument? LOL. OK dude.

Tim Tebow wasn't a gunslinger even in college. This isn't about success, it's about throwing the football. Tim didn't throw well even in college. Thus, no logic.

In Tebow's 3 seasons as a starter, he averaged 320 attempts a season, averaged 9.13 yards per attempt, and averaged 27.8 touchdown passes a season.

In Smith's 2 seasons as a starter, he averaged 291 attempts a season, averaged 8.85 yards per attempt, and averaged 23.5 touchdown passes a season

Now tell me again why my post lacks logic.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So im watching the new spiderman at work. about a hour in. It's the same damn thing as the first one. Peter Parker is a nerd. He gets bit by a spider. Get's power. Beats up bully. Fights with Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben dies. He gets revenge. Is there ANY difference?
Originally posted by susweel:
So im watching the new spiderman at work. about a hour in. It's the same damn thing as the first one. Peter Parker is a nerd. He gets bit by a spider. Get's power. Beats up bully. Fights with Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben dies. He gets revenge. Is there ANY difference?

There's a new spider man !?!
Not even close. Alex doesnt have the mentality of a passing QB, let alone being a "gunslinger". Make him pass happy, and we're looking at a loss in the majority of those games.

Sorry, no dice.
Share 49ersWebzone