LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
This guy would have hated Joe Montana.

Yet Joe was rated as the 4th best player ever. Most people believed this about Joe from watching him play. Those same people also believed Joe's awareness of the game was much better than any QB. Joe also proved it by going onto a team with far lesser talent and having immediate success. Not sure where you think Cossell would have hated Montana.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Yes because Alex and Joe are similar. Smh
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

No one seems to have an answer for these questions.

My point exactly
Originally posted by verb1der:
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

Because they don't have WR's like Moss and Crabtree that can get major YAC?

What does that have to do with 18 of 19 passing?

I can only speak for myself in answering this, but....

1. I don't think its "easy" to dink and dunk for 18-19. However, that doesn't mean that Smith isn't very limited (pocket presence/accurcy on interm/long throws)

2. I think the ego alone of ALL nfl QBs (journey man or elite) makes them take some tough shots down field (throwing lower percentage throws) Smith doesn't have much of an ego.

3. He's allowed to dink and dunk against teams like the Cards, because our D is so dominant and so is our run game.

4. As this season has shown, we are in big trouble when we face well balanced teams that can score.

5. Smith seems more than willing to take a sack if he isnt' comfortable with what he sees. He should have thrown the ball away. I've never seen a qb DO THAT!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

1. I don't think its "easy" to dink and dunk for 18-19. However, that doesn't mean that Smith isn't very limited (pocket presence/accurcy on interm/long throws)

2. I think the ego alone of ALL nfl QBs (journey man or elite) makes them take some tough shots down field (throwing lower percentage throws) Smith doesn't have much of an ego.

3. He's allowed to dink and dunk against teams like the Cards, because our D is so dominant and so is our run game.

4. As this season has shown, we are in big trouble when we face well balanced teams that can score.

Uh...isn't ANYONE it trouble when they face well balanced teams that can score?

5. Smith seems more than willing to take a sack if he isnt' comfortable with what he sees. He should have thrown the ball away. I've never seen a qb DO THAT!

..and in response to your edit @ #5, he himself acknowledged that after the game.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

What does that have to do with 18 of 19 passing?

Absolutely nothing, but the 3 TDs really glorifies that stat line. 2 of the 3 scores was Moss and Crabs making plays after the catch. Take those away and "18 of 19 1td" makes it a lot more pedestrian, imo.

Again, GREAT game by Alex and his WRs!
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yet Joe was rated as the 4th best player ever. Most people believed this about Joe from watching him play. Those same people also believed Joe's awareness of the game was much better than any QB. Joe also proved it by going onto a team with far lesser talent and having immediate success. Not sure where you think Cossell would have hated Montana.

Joe's career came and went... very successfully. Alex could still play and play at a high level for several more years. It is strange and inappropriate from the start to compare Montana's finished career and Smith's unfinished career.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

..and in response to your edit @ #5, he himself acknowledged that after the game.

I think he didnt want his completion percentage to drop.

To a degree, but if a team can score and play good D, Alex really struggles because you take him out of his game (i.e. Vikings and Giants). The Jets could of been very similar result if their O didn't suck so bad.

In a nutshell, I just think Smith has some serious fatal flaws in his game. They are hidden because of the level of talent around him. The thing that bothers me is what good is a QB that can win when things go well, but sucks when they dont? That's almost worst that sucking all the time, because it breeds false hope.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

I think he didnt want his completion percentage to drop.

Total, utter, and complete BS. He didn't even know about it till the end and when he was told he said he should have had more incompletions because he should have thrown some away.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM ]

To a degree, but if a team can score and play good D, Alex really struggles because you take him out of his game (i.e. Vikings and Giants). The Jets could of been very similar result if their O didn't suck so bad.

In a nutshell, I just think Smith has some serious fatal flaws in his game. They are hidden because of the level of talent around him. The thing that bothers me is what good is a QB that can win when things go well, but sucks when they dont? That's almost worst that sucking all the time, because it breeds false hope.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'd rather have a QB that gets us to the playoffs with a chance to win it all compared to a QB that just sucks all the time and we have no chance.

Call me crazy.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Check their YAC stats in recent years.

And are you really comparing them to all time greats? Heck...are you really comparing them to, for example, Julio Jones and Roddy White?

And - wait a minute - I though Smith was unable to put the ball in a place to generate YAC?

No matter how you slice it or diminish it, 18-19 is a historic accomplishment. Give dude some respect.

I was just referring to your original question "if it is so easy dinking and dunking for 18 of 19, 3 Tds". Moss and Crabs made great plays after their catches which lead to 2 TDs and a lot of YAC. That is the reason why not every journeyman QB can't do that, not all of them have that kind of play from their WRs.

And I absolutely give Alex some respect for that game, but personally, I judge him based on how he does against teams that take away Frank Gore (like the Giants did). If Alex can carry the team without the help of a run game, then I will give highest respect! And the 49ers will win a Superbowl!!

Can we all just agree that what Smith did is rarely done no matter how he did it. On top of that, the one incomplete was a drop. He had a great game vs ARI and made all the correct decisions along with great ball placement.

Still, he's got to work on some major things if we want to beat the teams that don't rely heavy on blitzing.
I agree with both of your statements AND would like to add that Smith still needs to be more consistent.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

Yes because Alex and Joe are similar. Smh

i dont even think alex's 4 best games combined will out-do Joe's 4 superbowl game stats
Share 49ersWebzone