LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

No one seems to have an answer for these questions.

Because they don't have WR's like Moss and Crabtree that can get major YAC?
Originally posted by verb1der:
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

Yes, for the last few years, when someone mentioned YAC, those are the 2 I'm thinking about out of all the NFL TE and WR combo.

C'mon man
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Yes, for the last few year, when someone mentioned YAC, those are the 2 I'm thinking about out of all the NFL TE and WR combo.

C'mon man

lol, I was just referring to the specific stat "18-19 and 3 TDs" that he pointed out, which had a lot to do with Moss and Crabtree going beast mode after their catches.
Not every game of Joe is like the '89 playoff and SB. There were quite a few where he and the offense struggled to get anything going. I remember a couple of MNF games against the Giants. Those are usually a defensive struggle and our offense seems to slow down quite a bit. Also against the Saints defense. Philly.

A certain game on January 4th 1987 comes to mind. Wow that was an ugly game. Oh wait, that was a chamionship game...Montana only looks like a stud in play-off games, right?
lol, I was just referring to the specific stat "18-19 and 3 TDs" that he pointed out, which had a lot to do with Moss and Crabtree going beast mode after their catches.

Amazing game for both of them... But for the season I think Crabtree ranks #98 or something in terms of yac per attempt.

I'm going to attempt to tackle this one.... I don't think the other qb has the discipline to do that. Too tempting to make that eye popping play downfield or get in that tight window for a contested pass and get a few incompletion. There's trade-off involved when you go that way. And so is the conservative approach of Smith.

Check their YAC stats in recent years.

And are you really comparing them to all time greats? Heck...are you really comparing them to, for example, Julio Jones and Roddy White?

And - wait a minute - I though Smith was unable to put the ball in a place to generate YAC?

No matter how you slice it or diminish it, 18-19 is a historic accomplishment. Give dude some respect.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Not every game of Joe is like the '89 playoff and SB. There were quite a few where he and the offense struggled to get anything going. I remember a couple of MNF games against the Giants. Those are usually a defensive struggle and our offense seems to slow down quite a bit. Also against the Saints defense. Philly.

A certain game on January 4th 1987 comes to mind. Wow that was an ugly game. Oh wait, that was a chamionship game...Montana only looks like a stud in play-off games, right?

Agreed...against 3-4 defenses that were built (so it seemed) to disrupt the precise timing routes of the WCO...Giants do that to us now by playing tough, physical, tight at the LOS, as well as Seattle. Those are the teams that I fear the most. That said, on an audio the other day, they said Alex has actually played best against the top secondaries...we just haven't been consistent.

And are you really comparing them to all time greats? Heck...are you really comparing them to, for example, Julio Jones and Roddy White?

And - wait a minute - I though Smith was unable to put the ball in a place to generate YAC?

No matter how you slice it or diminish it, 18-19 is a historic accomplishment. Give dude some respect.

I was just referring to your original question "if it is so easy dinking and dunking for 18 of 19, 3 Tds". Moss and Crabs made great plays after their catches which lead to 2 TDs and a lot of YAC. That is the reason why not every journeyman QB can't do that, not all of them have that kind of play from their WRs.

And I absolutely give Alex some respect for that game, but personally, I judge him based on how he does against teams that take away Frank Gore (like the Giants did). If Alex can carry the team without the help of a run game, then I will give highest respect! And the 49ers will win a Superbowl!!
Alex cannot seem to get rid of the dreaded "Game Manager" title. Mike Freeman from CBS Sports was all over this stuff, too on Tuesday. Cosell's analysis is awesome to listen to and I am glad that KNBR has him on often.

Well if Mike Freenam said it. Too funny.
  1. Nothing wrong with dinking and dunking as long as we are dinking and dunking to our talented players and not an immediate checkdown. The ARI game was all about getting the ball to our best players and letting them make a play and it worked.
  2. The initial post was only listed in order of sequence as Cossell talked about it...no agenda in the order of the conversation.
  3. As much as you want to cover your eyes, we still need to prove we can be an explosive offense which is why Randy Moss is still being "hidden

As for Tom Brady, he's proven he can make explosive plays and kill teams in minutes on a consistent basis. Smith hasn't. As much as we hope Smith gets there, let's stop with these comparison's and discuss what we need to improve upon. We are almost there. We are not entirely there so stop getting butt hurt when a weakness is brought up.

I was just referring to your original question "if it is so easy dinking and dunking for 18 of 19, 3 Tds". Moss and Crabs made great plays after their catches which lead to 2 TDs and a lot of YAC. That is the reason why not every journeyman QB can't do that, not all of them have that kind of play from their WRs.

And I absolutely give Alex some respect for that game, but personally, I judge him based on how he does against teams that take away Frank Gore (like the Giants did). If Alex can carry the team without the help of a run game, then I will give highest respect! And the 49ers will win a Superbowl!!

Can we all just agree that what Smith did is rarely done no matter how he did it. On top of that, the one incomplete was a drop. He had a great game vs ARI and made all the correct decisions along with great ball placement.

Still, he's got to work on some major things if we want to beat the teams that don't rely heavy on blitzing.
i have been listening to him every week since he came on last year.. hes on after the day after a game and the friday before... hes usually VERY ACCURATE in everything he watches on film.. he also kind of predicts a lot key plays or players to watch.. hes by far the BEST films guy on tv/radio.. he tells it as it is and does not care... has no ties to SF
  • dj43
This guy would have hated Joe Montana.
Share 49ersWebzone