There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Don't mess up a good story with truth.

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...

Smith doesn't do this either.
Then what does this top 5 at 5 mean?

By virtue of your statement about other qb, you are saying Smith throws less than 5 yards every time. Which is not true, unless you are overstating for a purpose to make a point. But your statement at face value is not true.

Edit: apologized if misread. The link is not coming through for me.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Where did you find that? I can't see it.

Advanced NFL stats.com. Its quoted in this great article, but the stats pages won't load right now (maintenance?).

Air Yards are difficult, because you have to game-chart...you can't just extract the data from the play-by-play.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/10/alex-smith-counterexample.html
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Tied in Air Yards per attempt.

Where did you find that? I can't see it.

Click on the link or just go to NFL.com > Scores & Stats > Stats Home > Under the QB section select "complete list" and start organizing.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

I'm on the Marvin49 bandwagon.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

The guy played a good solid game I give him credit. Dont know why you are getting all worked up over it. The only point I was making is what I had thought initially about most of the passes being under ten yards. Obviously short passes are easier and safer throws ? But none the less you still gotta give him credit for completing them.
Here's another anti Smith article. Dont know why the media hates him so much.



http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20760533/tenpoint-stance-49ers-not-contenders-as-long-as-smith-dinks-and-dunks


Here at the Ten Point Stance headquarters, we don't like to put a damper on a good story. We don't like to poop on parades. But all of this Alex Smith smooching, this sudden urge to declare him as the 21st century Steve Young, is absolutely over-the-top ridiculous and driving us bonkers.

Smith is a game manager, and in today's NFL, game manager is a four-letter word. This is the harsh truth: The 49ers are managing Smith, containing him, putting him in a protective bubble of dinks and dunks, because they know that if they open up the offense like, say, the way the great teams with the elite quarterbacks do, Smith would implode like a dead star.

You're a hater, Mike. You just don't want to give Smith credit. Shut up. Go root for Tim Tebow.

No, Smith is a nice person, and a class act. He just isn't an elite quarterback and I'm not going to allow Jim Harbaugh or anyone else to bully me into believing so.

But Mike! He was 18 of 19 against Arizona!

His passes averaged just over five yards. Five. Yards. This is not elite-ness. This is petite-ness. The 49ers are playing small ball and that can work against scrubs like the Cardinals, but the reason San Francisco has difficulty sometimes against the true elite like the Giants is because New York has a real quarterback who can sling the ball anywhere on the field with great accuracy. And the Giants allow him to.

Look at the great throwers in football. Eli Manning doesn't game manage. Drew Brees doesn't game-manage. Tom Brady? Nope. Peyton ... no manage-y game-y. The great ones are ballers. They throw it everywhere, because they have the confidence and accuracy to do it.

Mike, you're full of gobble gobble turkey.

No, this is the truth, and I'm not sure what coach Jim Harbaugh even meant by "gobble gobble turkey." There is no great thrower today that runs an offense the way Smith does. There is no great thrower in history that runs an offense the way Smith does. Not one.

This fact will bite the 49ers in the ass when the playoffs hit and San Francisco starts playing the league's better teams. You'll say the 49ers did just fine in the playoffs last year but they lost to New York in the conference title game. Close contest, sure. Freak happenings in the game, sure. But they still lost.

And the Giants spanked the 49ers' rears this season with, again, Manning tossing the ball all over the field.

The Giants' Super Bowl wins against the Patriots happened because the Giants weren't afraid. They play aggressive football in a league set up to reward aggressors, not the dink-and-dunkers.

Again, love what the 49ers have done to rebuild this franchise. Like Harbaugh a lot (even though he's sometimes a bully) and having the 49ers good again is great for the NFL.

Yet anyone that believes the 49ers can game-manage their way to a Super Bowl title, I have some gobble gobble turkey for you.

2. There has been extensive communications between teams as the trade deadline approaches. One personnel man said the trade talk has been extensive but, as usual, teams are afraid to make major deals. Unlike baseball or the NBA, pro football franchises despise trades, mainly because the salary cap makes them difficult.

There is another, more subtle reason. The ego factor among NFL personnel types is much larger than in other sports. They hate to admit mistakes and trading a player you drafted or acquired through free agency is an admission a mistake was made.

One last thing. The Carolina Panthers have fielded a number of calls about wide receiver Steve Smith (as first reported by Fox Sports). The response Carolina gave one team is interesting, with the Panthers saying that Smith remains as good as any receiver in football and -- this is really interesting -- has been the most stabilizing force in the locker room this season. Not one of. Not second or third. But the most. Period.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

The guy played a good solid game I give him credit. Dont know why you are getting all worked up over it. The only point I was making is what I had thought initially about most of the passes being under ten yards. Obviously short passes are easier and safer throws ? But none the less you still gotta give him credit for completing them.

Not getting worked up with you per se, your post just kinda tipped me over the edge. LOL. Sorry about that.

It just cracks me up how determined people are to tear the guy down. I'll never understand it. It's like they WANT to be right so they can say "SEE, I TOLD YOU HE SUCKS!! I was right all along...hahahahahaha!!!"

Seriously? Why would anyojne WANT to be right about that?
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Here's another anti Smith article. Dont know why the media hates him so much.



http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20760533/tenpoint-stance-49ers-not-contenders-as-long-as-smith-dinks-and-dunks


Here at the Ten Point Stance headquarters, we don't like to put a damper on a good story. We don't like to poop on parades. But all of this Alex Smith smooching, this sudden urge to declare him as the 21st century Steve Young, is absolutely over-the-top ridiculous and driving us bonkers.

Smith is a game manager, and in today's NFL, game manager is a four-letter word. This is the harsh truth: The 49ers are managing Smith, containing him, putting him in a protective bubble of dinks and dunks, because they know that if they open up the offense like, say, the way the great teams with the elite quarterbacks do, Smith would implode like a dead star.

You're a hater, Mike. You just don't want to give Smith credit. Shut up. Go root for Tim Tebow.

No, Smith is a nice person, and a class act. He just isn't an elite quarterback and I'm not going to allow Jim Harbaugh or anyone else to bully me into believing so.

But Mike! He was 18 of 19 against Arizona!

His passes averaged just over five yards. Five. Yards. This is not elite-ness. This is petite-ness. The 49ers are playing small ball and that can work against scrubs like the Cardinals, but the reason San Francisco has difficulty sometimes against the true elite like the Giants is because New York has a real quarterback who can sling the ball anywhere on the field with great accuracy. And the Giants allow him to.

Look at the great throwers in football. Eli Manning doesn't game manage. Drew Brees doesn't game-manage. Tom Brady? Nope. Peyton ... no manage-y game-y. The great ones are ballers. They throw it everywhere, because they have the confidence and accuracy to do it.

Mike, you're full of gobble gobble turkey.

No, this is the truth, and I'm not sure what coach Jim Harbaugh even meant by "gobble gobble turkey." There is no great thrower today that runs an offense the way Smith does. There is no great thrower in history that runs an offense the way Smith does. Not one.

This fact will bite the 49ers in the ass when the playoffs hit and San Francisco starts playing the league's better teams. You'll say the 49ers did just fine in the playoffs last year but they lost to New York in the conference title game. Close contest, sure. Freak happenings in the game, sure. But they still lost.

And the Giants spanked the 49ers' rears this season with, again, Manning tossing the ball all over the field.

The Giants' Super Bowl wins against the Patriots happened because the Giants weren't afraid. They play aggressive football in a league set up to reward aggressors, not the dink-and-dunkers.

Again, love what the 49ers have done to rebuild this franchise. Like Harbaugh a lot (even though he's sometimes a bully) and having the 49ers good again is great for the NFL.

Yet anyone that believes the 49ers can game-manage their way to a Super Bowl title, I have some gobble gobble turkey for you.

2. There has been extensive communications between teams as the trade deadline approaches. One personnel man said the trade talk has been extensive but, as usual, teams are afraid to make major deals. Unlike baseball or the NBA, pro football franchises despise trades, mainly because the salary cap makes them difficult.

There is another, more subtle reason. The ego factor among NFL personnel types is much larger than in other sports. They hate to admit mistakes and trading a player you drafted or acquired through free agency is an admission a mistake was made.

One last thing. The Carolina Panthers have fielded a number of calls about wide receiver Steve Smith (as first reported by Fox Sports). The response Carolina gave one team is interesting, with the Panthers saying that Smith remains as good as any receiver in football and -- this is really interesting -- has been the most stabilizing force in the locker room this season. Not one of. Not second or third. But the most. Period.

More fuel for Harbaugh and the team. I hope they keep writing it.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I'm on the Marvin49 bandwagon.

Same here. His weekly post game assessments are bomb too.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Where did you find that? I can't see it.

Advanced NFL stats.com. Its quoted in this great article, but the stats pages won't load right now (maintenance?).

Air Yards are difficult, because you have to game-chart...you can't just extract the data from the play-by-play.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/10/alex-smith-counterexample.html

I found that...in fact I posted it in the Alex thread...but I can't see the stats there.

I have heard one negative thing about the stat...but until I can see it, I don't really understand the complaint.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

The guy played a good solid game I give him credit. Dont know why you are getting all worked up over it. The only point I was making is what I had thought initially about most of the passes being under ten yards. Obviously short passes are easier and safer throws ? But none the less you still gotta give him credit for completing them.

Not getting worked up with you per se, your post just kinda tipped me over the edge. LOL. Sorry about that.

It just cracks me up how determined people are to tear the guy down. I'll never understand it. It's like they WANT to be right so they can say "SEE, I TOLD YOU HE SUCKS!! I was right all along...hahahahahaha!!!"

Seriously? Why would anyojne WANT to be right about that?

Well maybe some are like that but Im not. Before every game I always post I hope he has a great game. I dont care about being right I just care about my team winning and looking good every week. I have my personal opinion of him as a player but in no way do I wish he does poorly.
Love Cossell!

I remember when he first broke down Alex Smith, people in here got so offended like he talked smack about their mama's. lol