LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
2nd & 15, Delanie caught the ball 5yds beyond the 1st down mark. Add that up and it's 20yds throw. He actually shuffled for 3 more yards for total of 23yds play

I haven't even looked at the VD yet.

And if Alex starts throwing passes over 20 yards then they will complain that his passes don't go over 25 yards. Some people you just can't satisfy.
In case someone forgotten. We won the game and scored 3TD with those... 'checkdowns'. Deep throws or not.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Arizona Game Analysis:
http://murphmac.blogspot.com/2012/11/1101-nfl-films-senior-producer-greg.html

1. Smith: only threw 3 passes more than 10 yards. Not one over 20. Can't live like that week to week. Still concerned about the 49ers explosiveness.
  2. Smith: Great throw, incredibly accurate to Crabtree for that first TD.
  3. ARI offense is just bad. Combine that with the 49ers defense and there you have it.
  4. Aldon and Brooks are the most athletic OLBs in a 3-4 in the NFL
  5. Crabtree: looked very quick after the catch

1 - You take what the defense gives you. If they're playing on their heels for a deep ball, you dink and dunk
2 - yep.
3 - No, AZ's defense is excellent vs. the pass. But their run defense is suspect. As a result, they cheated to stop the run vs. the 49ers and hoped that Alex Smith would make a mistake. ** Patrick Peterson let the cat out of the bag on this one when he said "we're going to put the ball in Alex Smith's hands". oops.
4. nice compliment. Only true because Elvis Dumervil is technically a 4-3 DE. Wolfe (R) at DE, Bannan at NT, Ayers/Vickerson at DE.
5. Yep.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
In case someone forgotten. We won the game and scored 3TD with those... 'checkdowns'. Deep throws or not.

yes people were pitching a b***h cuz alex was not throwing touchdowns. they just go to another thing on thier checkdown list of hater talking points
I didn't take the comment about the balls not travelling far in a negative way. I think the throws Smith made (aside from one he didn't make) were the best options. Smith played about as good as a game he could have played vs ARI.

The biggest question for our offense that is still unanswered is the explosiveness of it.

Other than that, I think you guys are getting too defensive about the short passes vs ARI. They were all fine from my point of view and probably 99% of this board.
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?

Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
I don't care if not one pass went over 5 yards Cossell.

[ Edited by SR49er on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by mustangmele:

Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Don't mess up a good story with truth.

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.
Cosell just looks like a giant douce

Originally posted by Joecool:
I didn't take the comment about the balls not travelling far in a negative way. I think the throws Smith made (aside from one he didn't make) were the best options. Smith played about as good as a game he could have played vs ARI.

The biggest question for our offense that is still unanswered is the explosiveness of it.

Other than that, I think you guys are getting too defensive about the short passes vs ARI. They were all fine from my point of view and probably 99% of this board.

It's all good. But you putting -- the ball not traveling more than 20yds at #1 of the list is telling. Because with any other qb it wouldn't be consider important at all. Wouldn't even make the list of talking points. Not an important point to consider even with Alex Smith.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM ]

Tied in Air Yards per attempt.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.

Ha! Seriously.

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...
Neither is Alex
I never heard so much piss-ant whinnng about winning.

If we have to dink & dunk to win SO WHAT!

Winning is the most important thing.
Share 49ersWebzone