LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
I read a lot of draft guides that Kaep would be a 2-3 year project, that has the potential to be a franchise type of qb. I think he got drafted to the best team possible to realize that potential. We have everything in place for him to succeed, unlike it was when Alex was drafted.

I read a draft guide that Smith is the best QB coming out of college. You say the only fact is that Smith is currently the starter...that was my point. And do I think it entirely impossible for CK to start next year, or next week for that matter? No. Tolzien may start next year as well...or a high draft pick. But odds are on Smith as he is the current starter on a winning team having a good year.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I read a draft guide that Smith is the best QB coming out of college. You say the only fact is that Smith is currently the starter...that was my point. And do I think it entirely impossible for CK to start next year, or next week for that matter? No. Tolzien may start next year as well...or a high draft pick. But odds are on Smith as he is the current starter on a winning team having a good year.

Now we are getting somewhere. I'm not trying to replace Alex right now, no need to we are winning and he is playing effectively. This is a superbowl caliber team, imo. I just hope Alex is able to do his part to help make it happen.
Kaep is not ready,Kaep can't do this, Kaep can't do that,Kaep is unproven... Gobble, gobble,gobble... There's only one way to really find out what Kaep is or isn't as a player, that's getting on the field and playing. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I only see one advantage in Alex's favor, a huge one no doubt about that and it is game experience.

^ from page 10, I believe.

Now we are getting somewhere. I'm not trying to replace Alex right now, no need to we are winning and he is playing effectively. This is a superbowl caliber team, imo. I just hope Alex is able to do his part to help make it happen.

^ and now.. this.

So can you perhaps see how people can interpret your wants in a contradicting way?
CK the backup project will warm the bench for the rest of the season. He not only took away from the offense he is a useless distraction to the team. Look at the NYG game, total fail and an embrassment. If Eddie Debartolo Jr was the owner, he would want to fire Harb/Roman after that game.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:28 AM ]
There is really only one answer:
Develop him to be as good a QB as he can.

The same goes for Smith and Tolzein. Develop them. Should one or all step up, the team would only be in a better situation. You keep the best, trade the rest, and start over again developing other young players. No guarantees they will amount to what we would like, but that should always be the goal.
Originally posted by MrTruth:
CK the backup project will warm the bench for the rest of the season. He not only took away from the offense he is a useless distraction to the team. Look at the NYG game, total fail and an embrassment. If Eddie Debartolo Jr was the owner, he would want to fire Harb/Roman after that game.

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Brent Jones related a very famous story about Steve Young when he wasn't playing

Steve had millions in uncashed checks in his drawer in his sock

Young felt ashamed at cashing them because he hadn't earned them.

This was like '88 or '89 and Young was like 30 years old. Well before he became the starter.

When Kaep is THAT hungry (other than tweeting about "working out") then you can make a thread about it

The kid is 22, from a gimmicky pistol offense. He can learn a lot from watching. His time will come, if he is worthy.

Point: it's nice to be from a wealthy family.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
I believe both Alex and Kaepernick have 2 years left on their current contracts. Let them compete next offseason, which Alex will likely win, then the last year of their contracts let Kaepernick take over. Simple as that. Kaepernick, quite frankly, could be ready by next year. Who knows...

So wait a minute, let me get this straight. In your view we keep them both and let them compete pre next season? Sounds good. And you say Smith wins? That's possible.

Then I lose you. You say in the last year of their contracts we let CK take over. No competition, we just bounce the starting qb who beat him out in 2013 and force in CK regardless. Well, that just does not make sense.

A lot of posters here view Kaepernick's ascension to the starting role as inevitable. Well, it isn't. If he wins it and beats out Alex Smith as starter, fair enough and I will be queuing up for a CK gameshirt. But there is a long way to go first. CK may well have potential, but that remains to be realised. And Smith, under Harbaugh, will himself continue to improve.

Interesting times ahead.

I believe in the last year of their contracts, Kaepernick will outperform Smith in training camp. This is just my gut feeling.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ from page 10, I believe.

^ and now.. this.

So can you perhaps see how people can interpret your wants in a contradicting way?

No contradiction there, just a simple and true statement defending Kaep as a player. I think a lot of people have a problem interpreting my posts because they try to read into what I post instead of reading what I post, because I prefer Kaep's natural ability to Alex's. Mostly everyone who is a big Alex fan, enjoy saying what the kid (Kaep)can or cannot do like it is fact. I was simply stating that none of us (myself included) can say what he is or isn't without him playing. Now my other statement/opinion I will stick to until I am proven wrong "Alex's only advantage is game experience". It would be foolish to throw Kaep in there right now at this point of the season with winning record, now next year is fair game.
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM ]
I just think if Alex doesn't have a ring by the time his contract is up, then he's gone. If you think otherwise, I'd sure love to hear it.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
I just think if Alex doesn't have a ring by the time his contract is up, then he's gone. If you think otherwise, I'd sure love to hear it.
alot of quarterbacks take thier teams deep into the playoffs , do not get a ring but are back. the superbowl or bust theory is not logical in regards to the future of alex. as we saw last year vs the giants, where were multiple factors that led to our giants loss and you have to look at the whole body of work in a game. you also do not get rid of a quarterback unless you have a better option to replace him. right now we do not otherwise alex would already be gone. lets say this year next year, alex puts up 3000 yards and 25 touchdowns but we suffer vital season ending injuries to several of our defensive stars or gore which prevents us from winning a super bowl. do you cut alex because of things that were not in his control. to many ifs and buts and what ifs

Why don't you cheer for him now, since he's the starting QB and the 49ers have a good chance to make it to the SB this season.
CK is however completely useless this season.
Originally posted by cciowa:
alot of quarterbacks take thier teams deep into the playoffs , do not get a ring but are back. the superbowl or bust theory is not logical in regards to the future of alex. as we saw last year vs the giants, where were multiple factors that led to our giants loss and you have to look at the whole body of work in a game. you also do not get rid of a quarterback unless you have a better option to replace him. right now we do not otherwise alex would already be gone. lets say this year next year, alex puts up 3000 yards and 25 touchdowns but we suffer vital season ending injuries to several of our defensive stars or gore which prevents us from winning a super bowl. do you cut alex because of things that were not in his control. to many ifs and buts and what ifs

I agree. However, if the reason why we lose in the playoffs is because of our lack of passing game, then is when Smith will be on the hotseat. Either that or the coaches think Smith is missing too many looks during the film reviews.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
if the reason why we lose in the playoffs is because of our lack of passing game, then is when Smith will be on the hotseat.

Run the ball, and the passing game will follow. Only ATL and/or NYG stands in our way in the play-offs to the SB.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM ]
I believe in the last year of their contracts, Kaepernick will outperform Smith in training camp. This is just my gut feeling.

I agree, there's a possibility it could happen sooner than that. People on here like to forget that it took a while to sign Alex last offseason, they went window shopping for Peyton Manning, and when the 49ers and Alex finally came to an agreement the contract signed was far more 49ers friendly than Alex friendly. All those things don't seem like a ringing endorsement of Alex. Which leads me to believe someone in the 49ers organization (I'm thinking Baalke)has doubt in Alex and believes we can do better at the qb position. Just saying.... I hope for the sake of our team Alex does prove his sceptics (me included) wrong and leads us to a superbowl victory. Because that's all I truly care about is the 49ers winning superbowls. If he can do it, then so long Kaep. If he can't then we better get someone on the field who can, be it Kaep or someone else.
Share 49ersWebzone