There are 378 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What impact does Willis have on our defense?

Originally posted by Wubbie:
Patrick Willis is a run-stopping linebacker who can make tackles all over the field, sideline-to-sideline. It's not incredibly apparent at first glance, but he's a big reason why we have one of the better run defenses in the league. One way to tell that he's doing his job is to see how other run defenses do when their starting middle linebacker is out. There's a lot of blown assignments where runningbacks will rip 20+ yard runs. You RARELY ever see that happen with the 49ers.

He's still working on it and getting better, but he's improving his pass defense technique. As far as middle linebackers go, he's really good at it. I know tight ends get the better of him sometimes, but that is actually a REALLY hard assignment. Along with Bowman, we have two middle linebackers that are really good at pass coverage. It gives Fangio some flexibility in calling pass coverages.

As far as blitzing goes, Patrick Willis doesn't really do too much of it. He's normally used in pass coverage. But when he does occasionally blitz, they kind of use him to shoot a gap and blow up a runningback.

In addition:
  • Patrick Willis rarely misses tackles. YAC rarely happen.
  • Patrick Willis is excellent in stripping the ball, causing incompletions and fumbles.
  • Patrick Willis' speed allows him to catch up on plays where a player gets free. Ever seen that play in overtime against the Cardinals, where he ran down a Cardinals receiver?

Everybody is looking for the highlight reel play, forgetting that his presence alone changes the way our defense can scheme.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by barako:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
What is your definition of impact?

What are the things he does to make our defense better overall?

Is football new to you? Just asking.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Everybody is looking for the highlight reel play, forgetting that his presence alone changes the way our defense can scheme.

I must admit, I'm one of those who always look for highlight reel play from Willis. I think I am taking him for granted. I should just be happy that he is on my team. Sometimes though I can't help to think what he would do if he is use the same way the Cards are using Daryl Washington?

Nope, been watching the game since 1995. Why you ask?

Well, the question seems like its one that somebody would have who is new to watching the sport unless its something you thought of just to spark conversation.

People are asking because if you need to "ask" you just started watching the 49ers.

Willis and Gore were our only glimpse and players to root for in those dark dark years. By that, you would have known what Willis brings to the defense.
[ Edited by 9erempire on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM ]
Go to this thread:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/166923-update-main-page-and-14/

Click on coach's tape for all the regular season games. Watch Patrick Willis. Ask mods to delete this thread. Nah, seriously. If you don't re-watch games you are missing out on a lot of things.

And really that's the thing... Willis use to be that 1 man wrecking crew who would have to make all the tackles because nobody else would. He had 6 sacks one year. The reason he isn't sitting in the middle is because Bowman has taken over that role and Willis is in coverage more. He shuts down opposing RBs in the run and pass game, he shut down or contained explosive TEs, he is still getting forced fumbles. There are a million guys out there who can rack up tackles but aren't having an impact. Guys like Derek Smith. Jump on piles, get taken back 5 yards before making the stop, get burned in the few times you are asked to cover. So if we used Willis like they use Washington (who is a very very good LB in his own right) he would start getting the tackles/flashy stats up again. Plus teams don't run on us and our defense isn't on the field all day like it use to be so that leads to less tackles possible. Plus he has a good cast so we don't need him to do all the work like we use to.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]
Well, the question seems like its one that somebody would have who is new to watching the sport unless its something you thought of just to spark conversation.

Like what I said in my original post, I don't see whatever impact he brings to the table, and that is why I asked.
Originally posted by 9erempire:
People are asking because if you need to "ask" you just started watching the 49ers.

Willis and Gore were our only glimpse and players to root for in those dark dark years. By that, you would have known what Willis brings to the defense.

He is playing on a different scheme now. I see more impact from him before Fangio came on board. I should say I don't like the way we are using him that's all.
Gasoline draws on deck
Everyone else on the defense tackles... I think it is a given and not really an impact.

You can't be serious.
Originally posted by kray28:
Everyone else on the defense tackles... I think it is a given and not really an impact.

You can't be serious.

He must not of watched the Cardinals defense last night. Tackles are not a given.
Originally posted by 9erempire:

He is playing on a different scheme now. I see more impact from him before Fangio came on board. I should say I don't like the way we are using him that's all.

what else would you like him to do...
Gasoline draws on deck

Yawn.
Originally posted by Yunchang:
He must not of watched the Cardinals defense last night. Tackles are not a given.

yeah, tackling and fundamentals for the nfl might be at an all time low. We have been near the top for tackle % for the past 5 or so years so he must just be use to it but if you look around the nfl there are a ton of bad tacklers out there.