LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 349 users in the forums

What impact does Willis have on our defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Yunchang:
He must not of watched the Cardinals defense last night. Tackles are not a given.

yeah, tackling and fundamentals for the nfl might be at an all time low. We have been near the top for tackle % for the past 5 or so years so he must just be use to it but if you look around the nfl there are a ton of bad tacklers out there.

everybody is looking for the big hits but that leads to a lot of whiffs which causes big plays
People who think Patrick Willis is not making an impact are probably the same people who wonder why Justin Smith does not have more sacks.

The defense is doing awesome and folks are trying to make something to talk about.

Patrick Willis would be an instant starter on ANY team in the NFL.
All you need to do is watch the games from last year in which Willis played, to the ones Grant played while Willis was injured. Grant held up admirably, but the difference was definitely noticeable.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Patrick doesnt stand out because he's surrounded by a bunch of badasses. Do not doubt for a second that he is the best MLB in the game... Bowman is the #2 best MLB in the game. And any average LB that is blessed enough to fill in for either will look like a badass as well.
Is this really a serious question or thread? Just watch his closing speed. How many times do you see him make a tackle that saves a huge gain or first down from the opposing running back? He tracks down the ball carrier faster than any other MLB in the game (minus Bowman). How many times have you see him (more recently) break up a pass that saves a first down or TD? This guy is an athletic marvel. Without him our defense would not as dominating. He can do so many different things it is crazy!
Originally posted by 5280High:
All you need to do is watch the games from last year in which Willis played, to the ones Grant played while Willis was injured. Grant held up admirably, but the difference was definitely noticeable.

Yeah Grant did a nice job but our 1st rushing td given up of the season after the blocked punt. Lynch got around the corner... Willis wouldn't have let that happen.

P.S. I remember last year how one person was complaining and saying Bowman doesn't make many impact plays. How come he doesn't have any youtube highlights he said. I was like the guy makes plenty of plays nobody just put one together.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM ]
Willis makes the whole even greater than the sum of it's parts. I case you haven't been checking, the 49ers have the #1 defense in the NFL.

Willis can be used in so many schemes, that it gives the Fangio lots of options. Watch the coaches game film and see how Willis is being used.

Actually, I think this is a ridiculous question.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by barako:
Originally posted by 9erempire:
People are asking because if you need to "ask" you just started watching the 49ers.

Willis and Gore were our only glimpse and players to root for in those dark dark years. By that, you would have known what Willis brings to the defense.

He is playing on a different scheme now. I see more impact from him before Fangio came on board. I should say I don't like the way we are using him that's all.

that true!
Originally posted by 9erred:
People who think Patrick Willis is not making an impact are probably the same people who wonder why Justin Smith does not have more sacks.

The defense is doing awesome and folks are trying to make something to talk about.

Patrick Willis would be an instant starter on ANY team in the NFL.

Pat would start on any team in history... PERIOD. one thy BEST ILB of All Time. IMO
[ Edited by bleeds9ersredandgold on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by barako:
He is playing on a different scheme now. I see more impact from him before Fangio came on board. I should say I don't like the way we are using him that's all.

If you do not like the way Fangio is using Willis, you have a lot of company.

The other 31 teams in the league, and their fans, also do not like the way Fangio uses Willis.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM ]

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Him and Justin are most important players on our team period. Justin especially. Aldon and LB can thank Justin for all the double teams and OL he takes up to free them. I hope we make Justin Reitre with us as well as willis and sign bowman DONT LET HIM GO
Originally posted by buck:
If you do not like the way Fangio is using Willis, you have a lot of company.

The other 31 teams in the league, and their fans, also do not like the way Fangio uses Willis.

Very few linebackers can cover as well as Willis. He did a good job last year of shutting down receivers out of the backfield. Preventing those screens and dump offs from turning into big plays. He did a good job of taking the opponents TEs out of the game as well. The TE has become a big weapon in today's game and really the only one who beat Willis was Graham but he can beat a lot of CBs as well. Willis had good coverage it's just that Graham is so big and tall it's impossible. He also gave up a td to pettigrew but that was also really good coverage. He didn't have many catches besides that one. He really did shut down a lot of rbs and te's last year though.
God sometimes this board makes me embarrassed to be a Niner fan.
Well, TC, how do you THINK Willis should be used?

The only thing he doesn't really do is blitz in our scheme. We typically rush four people. Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, and Ahmad Brooks are all better pass-rushers than Willis. I'd rather have them rushing the passer. If Willis blitzes, chances are, one of them would have to drop back. And as much as I like Aldon, he's still working on his pass coverage skills.
Please read the post before you comment folks. I did not bash Willis in any way or form. I have a question and thought I should ask people that knows football better than I do. If you don't have anything good to say, don't post it.
[ Edited by barako on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone