LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

What impact does Willis have on our defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Whatever it is, it is not visible to me on Vic Fangio's scheme. I am not complaining, I just want to know if any of you who understand defense can answer my question.
What is your definition of impact?
A very good impact.
Fast to the ball, don't miss tackles and great coverage guy.

They are using him more in coverage now because with emergence of Bowman, he doesn't need to really stop the stuff in the middle like in the past.
What makes our defense special is our ability to play 2 Elite MLBs at once. This eliminates any ability for the offense to run the football against us.

Since they are Elite MLBs they can also pass cover
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
is making tackles not an impact ?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
What is your definition of impact?

What are the things he does to make our defense better overall?
The reason why you are not seeing a lot of tackles by Willis is because the opposing team is scheming him to cover guys.

Arizona was throwing those screens and dumps and the other guys were getting the tackles, where Willis was sometimes nowhere to be found.

They are trying to free up the middle with some deep routes.
Originally posted by barako:
What are the things he does to make our defense better overall?

Read #4
teams give up running the ball on us by the second half. easier to rush the passer if the offense is one dimensional.

that's the impact of willis..... (and bowman)

Patrick Willis is a run-stopping linebacker who can make tackles all over the field, sideline-to-sideline. It's not incredibly apparent at first glance, but he's a big reason why we have one of the better run defenses in the league. One way to tell that he's doing his job is to see how other run defenses do when their starting middle linebacker is out. There's a lot of blown assignments where runningbacks will rip 20+ yard runs. You RARELY ever see that happen with the 49ers.

He's still working on it and getting better, but he's improving his pass defense technique. As far as middle linebackers go, he's really good at it. I know tight ends get the better of him sometimes, but that is actually a REALLY hard assignment. Along with Bowman, we have two middle linebackers that are really good at pass coverage. It gives Fangio some flexibility in calling pass coverages.

As far as blitzing goes, Patrick Willis doesn't really do too much of it. He's normally used in pass coverage. But when he does occasionally blitz, they kind of use him to shoot a gap and blow up a runningback.

In addition:
  • Patrick Willis rarely misses tackles. YAC rarely happen.
  • Patrick Willis is excellent in stripping the ball, causing incompletions and fumbles.
  • Patrick Willis' speed allows him to catch up on plays where a player gets free. Ever seen that play in overtime against the Cardinals, where he ran down a Cardinals receiver?
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
is making tackles not an impact ?

Everyone else on the defense tackles... I think it is a given and not really an impact.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Patrick Willis is a run-stopping linebacker who can make tackles all over the field, sideline-to-sideline. It's not incredibly apparent at first glance, but he's a big reason why we have one of the better run defenses in the league. One way to tell that he's doing his job is to see how other run defenses do when their starting middle linebacker is out. There's a lot of blown assignments where runningbacks will rip 20+ yard runs. You RARELY ever see that happen with the 49ers.

He's still working on it and getting better, but he's improving his pass defense technique. As far as middle linebackers go, he's really good at it. I know tight ends get the better of him sometimes, but that is actually a REALLY hard assignment. Along with Bowman, we have two middle linebackers that are really good at pass coverage. It gives Fangio some flexibility in calling pass coverages.

As far as blitzing goes, Patrick Willis doesn't really do too much of it. He's normally used in pass coverage. But when he does occasionally blitz, they kind of use him to shoot a gap and blow up a runningback.

In addition:
  • Patrick Willis rarely misses tackles. YAC rarely happen.
  • Patrick Willis is excellent in stripping the ball, causing incompletions and fumbles.
  • Patrick Willis' speed allows him to catch up on plays where a player gets free. Ever seen that play in overtime against the Cardinals, where he ran down a Cardinals receiver?

This is what I wanted to see and read. Thank you, sir.
BLASPHEMOUS
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Fast to the ball, don't miss tackles and great coverage guy.

They are using him more in coverage now because with emergence of Bowman, he doesn't need to really stop the stuff in the middle like in the past.

Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone