There are 180 users in the forums

Thursday's Trade Deadline - Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would trade dixon to the bengals like we did with taylor mays and then i would go sign rock cartwright for special teams. dixon is a waste of a roster space esp with jacobs back, plus you got the rookie we drafted setting around playing checkers

um....Cartwright ALSO plays RB. So how is Dixon a waste of a roster space? What would Cartwright be?

I would understand if Dixon was messing up on special teams then it would be an improvement, but that isn't the case...so if you replace Dixon with Cartwright....what would be the benefit? and what do you think we would get for Dixon that could help this team, with the risk of subtracting someone from our already regressed special teams?... as well as the fact that Jacobs is coming back from injury...so if he got injured again, then we don't have a big back to spell Gore or Hunter late in a game....or atleast one that has shown he can help finish a game, like Dixon showed.

I mean what could we get for Dixon... I mean I understand he probably has higher value than say Alex ...but it wouldn't be worth it to trade either the two for peanuts.

edit- Jacobs would make more sense..since he can't get himself on the active roster....THAT is a waste of space.
You defended Dixon all though preseason, he hasn't done anything to make the ST better. We are at the bottom so dropping him cant make us worse. Getting a ST ace (something Dixon is not) would be better for the unit.

Dixon helped finish one game, its not a normal thing for him. Our 2nd string QB has more rushing yards.

And we still have LMJ who I assume can offer more at RB.
and you defend Alex...that bolded sentence my friends is the mentality of an Alex fan. That is your opinion...imo, it doesn't make sense since because YES it could get worse, much worse..lol. But if you can't see that on your own, then I can't help you.

if ANY team can just randomly get a Special team ACE...THEY WOULD! and if Cartwright was still a special team Ace, he would get picked up by now....and we would've never let him go.
dwayne bowe for a 3rd rounder apparently
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Is that all the Chiefs want for him? If so would be nice if we could extend Justin Smith and lower his cap # like AB said I'd love to have Bowe. Won't happen though I doubt it would happen
I don't see the point.. I mean yeah a couple of years ago sure.

but our receivers have shown the ability to get open in the middle of the field as well as beat secondaries deep. So I don't see the need to give away a 3rd round pick, especially when we have a 1st rounder waiting for the Vets to retire or leave the team next year.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I know he is a head case but the Chiefs have Baldwin to replace Bowe and IMHO the Chiefs should throw in the towel, trade Bowe and focus on developing Baldwin and drafting Barkley or Smith in the 1st.

Use the draft picks to bolster the D, throw some of the cash that Bowe would require at the the best available corner and OL players.

I wouldn't want Bowe but i wouldn't complain if we got him.
and you defend Alex...that bolded sentence my friends is the mentality of an Alex fan. That is your opinion...imo, it doesn't make sense since because YES it could get worse, much worse..lol. But if you can't see that on your own, then I can't help you.

if ANY team can just randomly get a Special team ACE...THEY WOULD! and if Cartwright was still a special team Ace, he would get picked up by now....and we would've never let him go.
Seriously you bring up Alex to defend yourself?

Dixon is garbage. Most teams dont have room for a ST only player, we stated that in the off season and it has come back to bite us. We can correct that mistake by dumping a garbage RB and meh ST player and picking up a ST ace.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM ]

Dixon is garbage. Most teams dont have room for a ST only player, we stated that in the off season and it has come back to bite us. We can correct that mistake by dumping a garbage RB and meh ST player and picking up a ST ace.

lol...dude the more you give your opinion the less it makes sence, imo.

explain to everyone here how "Dixon is garbage"? Examples would help....and again I'm sure Dixon wouldn't be on the team, ESPECIALLY as a RB when we have some many of them...if in fact he was garbage. But I'll let you explain yourself. But I doubt you will. But I'll give you a chance. Go!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

Is that all the Chiefs want for him? If so would be nice if we could extend Justin Smith and lower his cap # like AB said I'd love to have Bowe. Won't happen though I doubt it would happen

A 3rd is too high for Bowe.

explain to everyone here how "Dixon is garbage"? Examples would help....and again I'm sure Dixon wouldn't be on the team, ESPECIALLY as a RB when we have some many of them...if in fact he was garbage. But I'll let you explain yourself. But I doubt you will. But I'll give you a chance. Go!

• We make a move in FA to bring in a power back.
  • We make a move in the draft for a shifty back.
  • Dixon has been used once this year in a blowout, he never gets the ball when it counts....and when he has it didn't go well.
  • Gore, Hunter, Smith, Kap, and Ham have more rushing yards compared to Dixon. In another few weeks I expect Jacobs, Ginn, and KW to surpass him as well. He offers nothing on the offensive side of the ball and it has been shown to be factual.
  • He has done nothing of note on ST. Brock and Cox have both made TD saving tackels this year, Dixon is never found.

Refute that and tell me how Dixon is good at anything with proof.
Originally posted by sfout:

I know he is a head case but the Chiefs have Baldwin to replace Bowe and IMHO the Chiefs should throw in the towel, trade Bowe and focus on developing Baldwin and drafting Barkley or Smith in the 1st.

Use the draft picks to bolster the D, throw some of the cash that Bowe would require at the the best available corner and OL players.

I wouldn't want Bowe but i wouldn't complain if we got him.

They should be starting Curtis Painter nao! The man knows how to deliver a No.1 overall.

• We make a move in FA to bring in a power back.
  • We make a move in the draft for a shifty back.
  • Dixon has been used once this year in a blowout, he never gets the ball when it counts....and when he has it didn't go well.
  • Gore, Hunter, Smith, Kap, and Ham have more rushing yards compared to Dixon. In another few weeks I expect Jacobs, Ginn, and KW to surpass him as well. He offers nothing on the offensive side of the ball and it has been shown to be factual.
  • He has done nothing of note on ST. Brock and Cox have both made TD saving tackels this year, Dixon is never found.

Refute that and tell me how Dixon is good at anything with proof.

-where is that FA Power Back? why can't he get on the team since Dixon is soooo garbage?...lol.
- what does a shifty back who weighs 175lbs have to do with Dixon being garbage? I think that has more do with our offensive starters last year not being able to get it done, when it came to big plays and home runs.
-when did it "not go well" this season, like you stated? he came in so that our starters didn't have to be out there and risk injury or get overworked. Dixon did his job, he helped extend drives, run out the clock, held on to the ball, and hell got into the endzone on an impressive run.
-how can you say he shows nothing on the offensive side of the ball when he ran the ball well in preseason and then when we asked him to run the ball he did well again....do you have proof of when he DIDN'T run the ball well this season?..lol
-I think the fact that you haven't heard his name on special teams is a good thing...he is asked to protect and then cover. He is not on the outside like those to fellas..THEY are expected to make the intial play....the one time where he was needed to make a play, he got pushed in the back.

just wow....I really am wasting my time.
No trading at the deadline. I know people will think im nuts but they should trade for the first pick in the offseason, we already have an excessive amount of picks because of Balkees ninja like pick acquiring skills, just chuck them at whomever has the first pick. Draft Barkley and get rid of Smith. Smith couldnt throw a deep ball into the pacific ocean if itwas standing right in front of him. Alex is our only real weak link besides our sketchy depth at olb which we can fix . We have great potential with our receiving corp, but we can't take advantage of that with a qb that is slightly (and I mean Slightly) above average at best. We need a franchise qb and I feel Barkley will be that with harbaugh by his side.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
-where is that FA Power Back? why can't he get on the team since Dixon is soooo garbage?...lol.
- what does a shifty back who weighs 175lbs have to do with Dixon being garbage? I think that has more do with our offensive starters last year not being able to get it done, when it came to big plays and home runs.
-when did it "not go well" this season, like you stated? he came in so that our starters didn't have to be out there and risk injury or get overworked. Dixon did his job, he helped extend drives, run out the clock, held on to the ball, and hell got into the endzone on an impressive run.
-how can you say he shows nothing on the offensive side of the ball when he ran the ball well in preseason and then when we asked him to run the ball he did well again....do you have proof of when he DIDN'T run the ball well this season?..lol
-I think the fact that you haven't heard his name on special teams is a good thing...he is asked to protect and then cover. He is not on the outside like those to fellas..THEY are expected to make the intial play....the one time where he was needed to make a play, he got pushed in the back.

just wow....I really am wasting my time.

To both you these points can be twisted any which way you want.

#1 - Jacobs was injured and we did put him in during a game when it mattered but changed the play during a timeout. Why wasn't it Dixon in there, who has been healthy all season? Why because Jacobs is better....

#2 - It has to do with ALL OF OUR RBS NOT PROVIDING THAT ELEMENT OF SPEED AND SHIFTINESS INCLUDING DIXON

#3 - THIS IS TO JREFF - To Dixon's credit, his stats of his mop up duty, he has 8 carries for 37 yards or a 4.6 YPC with 1 TD plus 2 First Downs....SO HE HAS DONE WELL

#4 - Refer to point #3 that in his own right Dixon does marginally offer something to the O but Jacobs is a better option

#5 - I would agree that on ST not hearing someones name is a good thing but while it means he isn't f**king up, it also means he isn't doing anything of note.

So Dixon is worth something to this team but is he necessarily worth a roster spot? I would be inclined to say he isn't but right now I bet the coaching staff is banking on his youth, that he will improve and stick on the team.

I've always held the belief that Jacobs was a cheap motivational signing/tactic by Baalke/Harbaugh to light a fire under Dixon's a** and it worked.
Since some one brought up Alex as an example ill bring Kaep up. People don't know what Kaep can/will do in a starting role yet want him playing now. Why not take that same mentality trade Dixon off for OLB depth and put LMJ in his place. Can't be any worse right?
bowe for a couple of draft picks would be great
Share 49ersWebzone