LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
No. Thats because we never would have been in a position to draft Alex Smith if Eddie D remained owner

Agree
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

Exactly what this thread is with an underlying agenda.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Would Eddie D have hired a first time head coach with no experience with the offense? Only if he already worked for the team and showed superb ability. Would he have made Singletary the Assistant HC? No, not enough experience.

If Smith had the same first three years with good coaches? No, he would have been gone.

This is what would have happened more then likely.
No way, not possible...."He's outta here" as he said in the past..Eddie D, fond memories..
Was Mr. D. the personnel guy? Last time I checked he hired people to do that for him. There are just way to many variables here. One thing I do know. Mr. D. would back whomever Harbaugh wanted. And right now Harbaugh says he wants Smith.
Eddie D had absolutely nothing to do with personnel decisions. He was the owner, not the GM.
Did he have any 8 year projects?

Has anyone ever had one other than the yorks?
guys like Vince Young, Jemarcus Fatbody, Matt Leinart and maybe even Rivers all dissapoint.

Alex at least stayed in and fought for it, BUT, he's no RG3 or Andrew Luck. Guys who are true number one overalls who make less than what Smith made to ride pine.
No way.

Then again, try completing this sentence with any other front office other than ours "Even though he never lived up to the expectations of being the first overall pick in the 2005 draft, Alex Smith was still given 4 separate contracts totaling over $71 million over a 10 year period by the [FILL IN THE BLANK]." Yeah, good luck with that.

8 years, 1 win when throwing for 300+ yards. That's a record all right, but not the kind that Eddie would have stood for.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Kordell Stewart was an 8 year project in Pittsburgh before they gave up on him.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Smith would've definitely been gone. We can take this further and say he would've never hired Mike Nolan (which means no Mike Singletary also) or Dennis Erickson There are a lot of things that would've been different.

alex? he's gone.

Originally posted by Faraz80:
Seems like everyone is in agreement. The diehard Smith supporters just brush the topic away with "well, we wouldnt even be in that position, so I dont have to answer".

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Niner "culture" sure has changed over the years, and it seems like so has the fanbase's mentality.

Smith was gone. For 2 years essentially, from mid 2007 through mid 2009. We experimented with a number of QBs during that time: Dilfer, Weinke, Hill, O'Sullivan, Davis. What I mean for this to demonstrate is that "getting rid of Alex" isn't a magic bullet. You have to be able to replace him with someone, and my elite QB tree is bare this time of year . I'm an Alex supporter because at this point he is the best option we have. And Eddie would have been faced with the same issue, since we don't always happen to have Steve Young waiting on the bench.
Originally posted by 1For13On3rdDown:

Even though he was drafted for WR and played WR for 2 years...... Great answer!

Well Nolan would have been fired earlier, and Singletary would have never been a HC.
Originally posted by 1For13On3rdDown:

Even though he was drafted for WR and played WR for 2 years...... Great answer!

I thought he was drafted as a QB but he was 3rd or 4th on depth chart so he played WR to get on the field..........
oh look another lets talk crap about Alex thread.....
Share 49ersWebzone