LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Is this the type of WCO you expected?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is this the type of WCO you expected?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
very disappointed in the offense so far. our "long" passes are 5 or 6 yards. theyre pretty damn boring on offense compared to other teams who can air it out a little

Small comparison for perspective...

Alex = 8 of 18 for 20 yard+ passes.

Matt Ryan = 9 of 24 for 20 yard+ passes. ( great receivers, no? )

Matt Schaub = 6 of 21 for 20 yard+ passes. ( Andre Johnson, no? )

Matt Stafford = 7 of 24 for 20 yard+ passes. ( Calvin Johnson, no? )

Things that make ya go hmmm.... no?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Small comparison for perspective...

Alex = 8 of 18 for 20 yard+ passes.

Matt Ryan = 9 of 24 for 20 yard+ passes. ( great receivers, no? )

Matt Schaub = 6 of 21 for 20 yard+ passes. ( Andre Johnson, no? )

Matt Stafford = 7 of 24 for 20 yard+ passes. ( Calvin Johnson, no? )

Things that make ya go hmmm.... no?

Yes, but stats don't matter! What do you see with your eyes? Funny how perceptions of many don't see any of Smiths 20+ passes and assume he doesn't make them...yet they see the check downs? Maybe their sunglasses are actually blackout glasses.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, but stats don't matter! What do you see with your eyes? Funny how perceptions of many don't see any of Smiths 20+ passes and assume he doesn't make them...yet they see the check downs? Maybe their sunglasses are actually blackout glasses.

It's a lot of frustration talking. People see Smith completing those longer passes between the 20s, but when we need to get into the endzone, they see bad things happening. They see 3 yard passes and a tackle when they need 4 or 5 yards, or 5 to 7yard passes when they need 8 or 9 yards on 3rd down. We end up getting 3 points instead of 7. They see Alex Smith missing some open deeper receivers every now and again. This isn't to knock Alex, because some blame has to go to the receivers as well (dropped passes) and play calling (getting too cute). All of this has contribute to the perception that he isn't completing the deep passes. The fans with real criticisms of Alex Smith (and not blind hatred) just want to see him deliver more kill shots to defenses. Examples of this would be

• Increasing leads and better decision making. He isn't a bad decision maker. But he can get better.
  • Making better use of his weapons in the pass offense. I don't know if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Delanie Walker has had more balls thrown his way than Randy Moss.
  • A little more touch on the passes. (Conversely, receivers have to help out by going after the ball)
  • Taking over the offense when this team is down. Every now and again, a QB has to seize the reigns himself. I don't think Smith was put in a position to win the Giants game once they got down and the reality is, most of the blame will fall on him. If it's going to be that way, go out doing it your way and call your own plays. If it works, he's a hero, if it doesn't, it can't be any worse than what he's already been through.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's a lot of frustration talking. People see Smith completing those longer passes between the 20s, but when we need to get into the endzone, they see bad things happening. They see 3 yard passes and a tackle when they need 4 or 5 yards, or 5 to 7yard passes when they need 8 or 9 yards on 3rd down. We end up getting 3 points instead of 7. They see Alex Smith missing some open deeper receivers every now and again. This isn't to knock Alex, because some blame has to go to the receivers as well (dropped passes) and play calling (getting too cute). All of this has contribute to the perception that he isn't completing the deep passes. The fans with real criticisms of Alex Smith (and not blind hatred) just want to see him deliver more kill shots to defenses. Examples of this would be

• Increasing leads and better decision making. He isn't a bad decision maker. But he can get better.
  • Making better use of his weapons in the pass offense. I don't know if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Delanie Walker has had more balls thrown his way than Randy Moss.
  • A little more touch on the passes. (Conversely, receivers have to help out by going after the ball)
  • Taking over the offense when this team is down. Every now and again, a QB has to seize the reigns himself. I don't think Smith was put in a position to win the Giants game once they got down and the reality is, most of the blame will fall on him. If it's going to be that way, go out doing it your way and call your own plays. If it works, he's a hero, if it doesn't, it can't be any worse than what he's already been through.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Can't disagree here! I am impressed by Smith's increased touch but it is something he still needs to work on. Seems to be better with Gore in particular. Seizing the reigns will be a work in progress until he is in sync with his receivers...but once again, it's at least half on him to make this happen.

Decision making is a bit more complicated as Harbaugh seems to think most of his decisions have been on target but the play broke down in one way or another. Hard to assess what is Smith's problem versus receivers running the wrong route, etc. One thing I think has improved in this area is that Smith is not taking nearly as many devastating hits, so he is not rocky as often coming to the line. Most folks don't pay attention to this but many interceptions from all QBs come after being hit hard and being a bit dingy...good coaches call safe plays on those occasions.
Nobody really runs a pure WCO anymore , the closest anyone has came to a pure WCO was Holmgrem and the Packers, and that was in the 90's

So many teams have taken the system and tinkered with it, and added their own stuff to it so basically you can say the WCO we all knew from the 80's is long gone, the speed of the game has changed how a WCO is run,, example, todays LB's are so fast that the quick slant has all but disappeared.

and this 49ers team rarely throws screens, or uses the RB's and FB in the passing attack as much as Walsh did

a pure WCO sticks to the base offense , uses all 5 eligible receivers in creative ways, and rarely uses the shotgun formation , if at all
Last night was the type of offense I expected. Short passes designed to get some YAC, with shots downfield. Unfortunately they were covered, but there was an outlet to get some positive yardage. Now teams will have footage of this and those shots downfield will be there. To me the WCO was reborn.

Roman must read my threads. LOL
  • Jiks
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Last night was the type of offense I expected. Short passes designed to get some YAC, with shots downfield. Unfortunately they were covered, but there was an outlet to get some positive yardage. Now teams will have footage of this and those shots downfield will be there. To me the WCO was reborn.

Roman must read my threads. LOL

This. I just feel the offense is still learning what it's doing. Last night we got the short passes down, but we didn't even attempt a long pass. It's only week 8, our offense is still in a learning phase. I think the longer passes will come with time. We are still searching for an identity as far as the passing game goes. Piece by piece it seems we are moving in a good direction. I hope last night wasn't just a one and done. Kill them on the short passes,get your receivers the ball with some space. Once they play too overly aggressive on that make them pay. Vd seem route, Moss long Manninham long, Crabtree long. As I said we just have to find a balance first. It's still early.
Share 49ersWebzone