LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Will Jenkins and/or James be activated this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
The super bowl champs have a more explosive offense than us and their top two picks (RB, WR like us) have seen the field since week 1 albeit in limited roles.

Still, play them!

They have also had injuries at those spots which has allowed their rookies to play

Ginn and Jacobs were out for weeks

Still other guys ahead on the depth chart. Giants had multiple injuries at WR and RB this year. Plus The RB Wilson also plays Special teams our guy doesnt

I don't count Dixon as a RB, getting maybe 20 touches a year is meh. Kap will run the ball more than Dixon will in a season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
The super bowl champs have a more explosive offense than us and their top two picks (RB, WR like us) have seen the field since week 1 albeit in limited roles.

Still, play them!

They have also had injuries at those spots which has allowed their rookies to play

Ginn and Jacobs were out for weeks

Still other guys ahead on the depth chart. Giants had multiple injuries at WR and RB this year. Plus The RB Wilson also plays Special teams our guy doesnt

I don't count Dixon as a RB, getting maybe 20 touches a year is meh. Kap will run the ball more than Dixon will in a season.
and run it better than dixon. maybe ck can play special teams, he can not do worse than dixon in my opinion
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I've said it before but I have a feeling we are teaching LMJ the ropes at WR and that we will be using him the same the Chiefs have finally figured out how use McCluster - 2011 stats 114 rushes & 46 receptions + 2012 projected = NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS & 56 receptions.

IMHO we are better coaches and can use LMJ in a better fashion then I also believe that LMJ is better then McCluster. James will be a great addition to the team once he is on the field. We'll line him up at RB and WR, that is what I chose to believe we are doing with LMJ during his "redshirt" season.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Injuries = opportunity.
Taking a wait & see approach... Maybe this yr gives James a chance to BULK UP a bit... As far as A.J. it cant hurt having guys like Moss & Crabs to learn from... Also think this can turn out to be something Harbaugh is lauded for in the future. The idea of having an entire "farm system" on the side-line is intruiging. Maybe it will become a trend like his unique travel plans for back to back east coast games... which was copied by the Bills already this season!!!
Originally posted by sfout:
I've said it before but I have a feeling we are teaching LMJ the ropes at WR and that we will be using him the same the Chiefs have finally figured out how use McCluster - 2011 stats 114 rushes & 46 receptions + 2012 projected = NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS & 56 receptions.

IMHO we are better coaches and can use LMJ in a better fashion then I also believe that LMJ is better then McCluster. James will be a great addition to the team once he is on the field. We'll line him up at RB and WR, that is what I chose to believe we are doing with LMJ during his "redshirt" season.

having a bunch of guys at or under 6ft would really be stupid IMO
Lol, don't care. Let the youngsters sit and learn and get ready for 2013.
With injuries to Manningham and Gore and a bye week pending, I think we will see both james and Jenkins activated this week. That would give Manningham and Gore much needed rest for the 2nd. half of the season..
I haven't been too confident on the selection and utilization of our draft picks since last season. Maybe Aldon Smith and that's it. Kendall Hunter is not an everydown back. Kap is just not ready to manage an entire game and Im not sure if he is the answer- Right now all I see from him is physicality.

Additionally, any first round draft pick I would expect would get some playing time - A.J. Jenkins hasn't.

Bill Walsh was always an advocate of building around the draft. We have the talent level on defense, but I believe Harbaugh and Balke have really missed the boat regarding the draft and our offense. We have not improved much offensively. We don't have our future starting running back on the roster..We need an upgrade to the QB position, and if Kap were better than Alex, he would be starting - a second year drafted QB not ready to start who is supposed to be the future? (remember this is not Aaron Rodgers learning from Brett Favre).

We added two receivers - Manningham and Moss. Moss hardly plays.

Although Frank Gore is a work horse, we cannot rely on him all the time as a full time back.

It's time to start drafting players that are ready to compete for a starting job.
[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Oct 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
With injuries to Manningham and Gore and a bye week pending, I think we will see both james and Jenkins activated this week. That would give Manningham and Gore much needed rest for the 2nd. half of the season..

I wouldn't be surprised to see the young guys. I hope Gore is better, I wonder if giving him essentially 3 weeks off wouldn't be the better course of action. I just don't have confidence in Alex to take up the slack. I see Hunter as an average to slightly below average RB in this league. He has an excellent yd/carry average because defenses get gored first .

I would like to see Jenkins get a few snaps, and maybe an easy out or come back or something.

• sfout
  • Veteran

Agreed but LMJ is "athlete" more then he is an RB or a WR. We have to find ways to get him on the field, hell I wouldn't even be surprised if he becomes a regular Fly Sweep runner. He is the ultimate gadget player for Harbaugh.
  • dj43
If we have seen nothing from these first 6 games, it is that the greatest single need of this team is a wide out with speed to take the lid off the defense. As such, AJ Jenkins was a good pick on paper. The problem is he has not seen the field and good teams with good secondaries like the Giants and Seahawks are able to easily contain the 49er receivers and passing game. Whether he proves to be a bust or not, it is clear the FO over-rated him. He is one of the very few #1 picks around the league that is not playing.

It is undeniable that the FO viewed improvement at the wide receiver position as the single greatest need on this team. Not only did they draft Jenkins, they also signed Manningham. However, perhaps the most obvious indication of how lacking the WR position is that they signed Randy Moss, a guy so lightly regarded around the league that he signed here FOR FREE just to get a chance to play a few snaps each game. No one else in the league with any quality at all at the WR position was willing to give him anything at all to come to their team.

So, yes, I hope Jenkins sees the field, hopefully after the bye week. He clearly needs more seasoning or else he would be in.

As to James,
Originally posted by dj43:
If we have seen nothing from these first 6 games, it is that the greatest single need of this team is a wide out with speed to take the lid off the defense. As such, AJ Jenkins was a good pick on paper. The problem is he has not seen the field and good teams with good secondaries like the Giants and Seahawks are able to easily contain the 49er receivers and passing game. Whether he proves to be a bust or not, it is clear the FO over-rated him. He is one of the very few #1 picks around the league that is not playing.

It is undeniable that the FO viewed improvement at the wide receiver position as the single greatest need on this team. Not only did they draft Jenkins, they also signed Manningham. However, perhaps the most obvious indication of how lacking the WR position is that they signed Randy Moss, a guy so lightly regarded around the league that he signed here FOR FREE just to get a chance to play a few snaps each game. No one else in the league with any quality at all at the WR position was willing to give him anything at all to come to their team.

So, yes, I hope Jenkins sees the field, hopefully after the bye week. He clearly needs more seasoning or else he would be in.

As to James,

speed and size*

Remember none of the guys were breaking free (post jam) from the Sea CB's. Now, they are all monsters in size but so what....we see them twice a year and CB's aren't getting smaller. We needed a 6'3 215lb guy that could run.....and we will be looking for that kid again in the next draft I fear.

I'd kinda like to see us use Jenkins and James the way Minny uses Harvin and GB uses Cobb. Both teams have them line up in the backfield on sim plays and motion them out and vice versa.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
LMJ will play this season FO SHO!
Share 49ersWebzone