There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

quarterback controversy

Originally posted by Joecool:
No, all the negativity was going to our receivers lack of ability. But when it goes to Alex, then we talk about that we are winning completely ignoring that our passing game isn't difficult to figure out. Never has been difficult to figure out.

Except when Jimmy Raye was here and Smith did well in the Red Zone...so his offense must be light years ahead of Roman and Harbaugh? WRs either attack or they don't. They are either aggressive or not, and it doesn't matter who throws the ball. Moss is aggressive but for whatever reason he is not getting many chances. I have not been overly critical of the WRs because I realize it takes time to build a rapport...and because the limited number of throws called impacts both the QB and the receivers equally and makes it tougher to gain a mutual understanding of each play.

You always criticize Smith, I sometimes criticize Smith...the difference is quite clear...you are extremely biased against Smith and I really don't want to spend too many more posts spitting into the wind.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
and of course the teams record is brought up over and over again

Do you deny that people that loved Shaun Hill would always point to the record to justify his greatness? Go ahead.. tell me that isn't so.

... but now that it's Alex, oh well... that just changes everything.
lets compare his season with Alex's....he had less talent, worse coaches (as some say on here)

check out his passer ratings (like some like to bring up now..lol)....check out his 3rd down conversions...or just 1st down conversions....with him we were actually throwing the ball pass the 1st down marker on early downs....or at least Shaun was pulling the trigger.

don't bring up Shaun Hill's name if you don't want to go down this road........I think he had a raw deal here, and we put Alex first before the team when deciding to trade him away for a 7th rd pick.....even to just keep him as a backup. (if Alex got hurt).

I've tried to move on and not bring up that stuff up...but some like to bring up his name on their own to justify Alex's play.

I've been more than patient so far this year, even though there have been many reasons I can go out and b1tch about stuff....legit stuff.

while some were calling for Alex to get benched, my opinion was it was too early and to wait out for these next few games (Giants, Seahawks, Cards) against good defenses to truly see where he is at......leave him alone...no Kaep stuff.....and if we were going to make a change, it should be after the bye week.

two games have passed and I'm getting impatient....I don't like what I see. Alex is usually good at playing at home...so its even more concerning.

some might still think "its still early" but we are about to play our 8th game of the season...basically half way through our season.
who seems to have picked up the WCO quicker? Alex Smith or RG3?

RG3 has a whole new team....new offense (the omg so hard WCO)......and he is a rookie.

he did much better against the Giants than Alex did...and it was in New York...and with less personnel. (lost his starting TE)

RG3 has a whole new team....new offense (the omg so hard WCO)......and he is a rookie.

he did much better against the Giants than Alex did...and it was in New York...and with less personnel. (lost his starting TE)

Giants were quoted as RG3 is the best QB they faced all year
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Giants were quoted as RG3 is the best QB they faced all year

but how did he pick up the WCO so fast???? what was his wonderlic score? did he cheat?....is he a Wizard?

Don't even bother. You're just going to hear that Garcon and Moss are better then any WR we have. Or that RGIII is running a college style offense, which he is easier, which is leading to his success.

Or bring up some other arbitrary point to discredit RGIII.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Don't even bother. You're just going to hear that Garcon and Moss are better then any WR we have. Or that RGIII is running a college style offense, which he is easier, which is leading to his success.

The QBR card trumps ALLLLLLL
lets compare his season with Alex's....he had less talent, worse coaches (as some say on here)

check out his passer ratings (like some like to bring up now..lol)....check out his 3rd down conversions...or just 1st down conversions....with him we were actually throwing the ball pass the 1st down marker on early downs....or at least Shaun was pulling the trigger.

don't bring up Shaun Hill's name if you don't want to go down this road........I think he had a raw deal here, and we put Alex first before the team when deciding to trade him away for a 7th rd pick.....even to just keep him as a backup. (if Alex got hurt).

I've tried to move on and not bring up that stuff up...but some like to bring up his name on their own to justify Alex's play.

I've been more than patient so far this year, even though there have been many reasons I can go out and b1tch about stuff....legit stuff.

while some were calling for Alex to get benched, my opinion was it was too early and to wait out for these next few games (Giants, Seahawks, Cards) against good defenses to truly see where he is at......leave him alone...no Kaep stuff.....and if we were going to make a change, it should be after the bye week.

two games have passed and I'm getting impatient....I don't like what I see. Alex is usually good at playing at home...so its even more concerning.

some might still think "its still early" but we are about to play our 8th game of the season...basically half way through our season.

I actually liked Hill but two of his productive seasons with the niners were year when Smith was injured and out, the other was less productive. He played three games in 2007, nine in 2008 and six in 2009. His QBR went from 101 to 87 to 79 during those years. The two years he threw over 200 passes he has QBRs of 87 (2008) and 81 (2010-with Detroit). This isn't bad but it certainly doesn't make him better than Smith.

Since Smith has played below par for the past two games, after his finger injury, it might be a good time to consider his finger injury. Roman has said that they had to adapt because of the injury and have played a more conservative game...shorter passes and passes with less risk. The defenses no doubt know the score and have adapted as well. I would expect better games when Smith gets some rest...one game in two and a half weeks.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM ]

Where on earth are you reading posts that criticize RGIII? Another straw man argument? RGIII and Luck are perhaps the best young QBs to come into the NFL in many years. You would have to go way back to find two anywhere as good as these guys who came in together.

But you guys keep arguing with yourselves...don't let me stop you! LOL!

Or not enough film on him yet!

No it doesn't. The 5-2 card does. There is no other card to play. RGIII has Smith beaten in every statistical category.

RGIII has a better quarterback rating 102 then alex (93).

RGIII has a better TD/Interception ratio (7:3) then Smith (9:5)

RGIII has a better completion percentage with the exact same attempts (70.4) vs. Smith who has 66.8.

RGIII has 1600 yards passing vs. 1420 from Smith

RGIII has 468 rushing yards vs 123 for Smith

This is upsetting really. Our #1 picked getting vastly outplayed by a rookie.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]

No it doesn't. The 5-2 card does. There is no other card to play. RGIII has Smith beaten in every statistical category.

RGIII has a better completion percentage with the exact same attempts (70.4) vs. Smith who has 66.8.

Damn RGIII is tearing in up!
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

I forgot to mention he has 6 rushing TDs as well. Smith has 0.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Where on earth are you reading posts that criticize RGIII? Another straw man argument? RGIII and Luck are perhaps the best young QBs to come into the NFL in many years. You would have to go way back to find two anywhere as good as these guys who came in together.

But you guys keep arguing with yourselves...don't let me stop you! LOL!

He was saying that quite possibly some could or would just come in with posts discrediting some part of the success of the rookie, and/or compare it to the situation here in SF.

Im not worried about changing our QB right now, just let it play, but i am dissapointed with the lack of development so far in this offense, and im not just talking about the last two games with the finger sprain. The attempts and overall play in the MINN game and the passing game in NYJ were also very concerning. And the decision making took a nose dive so i cant really put that on the finger. To me he has had 3 convincing games and 4 games that were either less than stellar or closer to bad.Just have to see if it can be improved there is nothing we can really do, but i have seen so many people on this forum turn to the side of worrying about things, we have had almost half of a season in the second year and i am only seeing a few who are not pointing out valid criticisms now, where as before it was only a few who would criticize.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

I forgot to mention he has 6 rushing TDs as well. Smith has 0.
That boy is good