There are 300 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
What was failed to be mentioned was that there was also an Elite QB on the other team in all of those games,I think elite qb is part of the blueprint for success int today's league

And like I said, the team with the better defense won

better defense + elite qb = win

better defense + mediocre qb = last years NFCG
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Run games don't win super bowls anymore, bad ass QBs win super bowls.

Giants v Pats...giants had the better run game and won
Steelers vs Packers...Steelers lost with a better run game.
Saints colts ...colts had better run and lost
Giants vs Pats...giants had the better run game and won
Colts vs Bears...colts had better run and won
Steelers and Seachickens...Steelers had better run and won
Pats vs Eagles...Pats had the better run game and won

Hmmm Now let's look at QBs...
E. Manning vs Brady who's better? It's close.
Rogers vs Big Ben? Rogers..but ben is no slouch.
Brees vs Manning? WHo's better?
Giants vs Pats..E. manning vs Brady again...
Brady vs Who was the QB for bears? Obviously Manning.
Steelers and Seachickens...yeah Ben was better than Hasselbeck
Brady vs McNabb...Brady.

You could make that argument...I don't know if it would be correct...but there isn't enough there to deny it isn't possible. What I can say is that all things being equal or even near it, yeah the run game makes a huge difference.

Of course, the counter to this is, tell me the name of the team in the past 5 seasons that had a 10+ game season winning record that was a balanced offense. I think you'll find only one team on that list.

So just because the last few years what you're suggesting might be true, doesn't mean that things can't change. Otherwise, you might as well write off the niners now, cuz that's how Harbaugh wants his team to play..regardless of QB.

There is a reason they say the running game is a Qb's best friend.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Pats win both of those games if Eli doesnt play his A** of on those final drives, the difference in both of those games was the qb play

No... the difference in 2008 was the Giants DLine shutting down Tom Brady and the pats to 17 points
Their DLine was the main reason they won that superbowl. Eli wasn't considered a top 10 QB at all that season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Giants v Pats...giants had the better run game and won
Steelers vs Packers...Steelers lost with a better run game.
Saints colts ...colts had better run and lost
Giants vs Pats...giants had the better run game and won
Colts vs Bears...colts had better run and won
Steelers and Seachickens...Steelers had better run and won
Pats vs Eagles...Pats had the better run game and won

Hmmm Now let's look at QBs...
E. Manning vs Brady who's better? It's close.
Rogers vs Big Ben? Rogers..but ben is no slouch.
Brees vs Manning? WHo's better?
Giants vs Pats..E. manning vs Brady again...
Brady vs Who was the QB for bears? Obviously Manning.
Steelers and Seachickens...yeah Ben was better than Hasselbeck
Brady vs McNabb...Brady.

You could make that argument...I don't know if it would be correct...but there isn't enough there to deny it isn't possible. What I can say is that all things being equal or even near it, yeah the run game makes a huge difference.

Of course, the counter to this is, tell me the name of the team in the past 5 seasons that had a 10+ game season winning record that was a balanced offense. I think you'll find only one team on that list.

So just because the last few years what you're suggesting might be true, doesn't mean that things can't change. Otherwise, you might as well write off the niners now, cuz that's how Harbaugh wants his team to play..regardless of QB.

Of course it CAN change but the odds are against it. Also I dont write off anybody but the facts are undeniable.
Pats win both of those games if Eli doesnt play his A** of on those final drives, the difference in both of those games was the qb play

No... the difference in 2008 was the Giants DLine shutting down Tom Brady and the pats to 17 points
Their DLine was the main reason they won that superbowl. Eli wasn't considered a top 10 QB at all that season.

The difference in 2008 is the lucky ass catch that f**k from the Giants made.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

Ya cause Eli did so great that game.
316 yards on 60 attempts

We all know our D dominated that game. 3 and out after 3 and out. Kyle Williams lost us that game not the offense
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]

shut down the Elite qb so the other elite qb can win the game....sounds like the Elite qb is the focus to me
What was failed to be mentioned was that there was also an Elite QB on the other team in all of those games,I think elite qb is part of the blueprint for success int today's league

better defense + mediocre qb = last years NFCG OR 2000 Baltimore Ravens SB Champs

Fixed for yah.

316 on 60 attempts

We all know our D dominated that game. 3 and out after 3 and out. Kyle Williams lost us that game not the offense

Kyle williams might have lost it,but the offense certainly did not win it
Originally posted by kidash98:

better defense + mediocre qb = last years NFCG OR 2000 Baltimore Ravens SB Champs

Fixed for yah.

He's going to say the game is different now..which is true.

316 on 60 attempts

True...amazing considering how many of our starting WRs we had
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You know I dont even expect to Alex to elite because we all know thats pretty much not gonna happen. I just want him to be able to hit deep plays when the defense is stacking the box and make them pay for it over the top and keep them honest. Right now we will make the playoffs and a good d coordinator will shut down our run game and thats where alex has to be able to make them pay for it but he cant do it.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

neither did the Giants' offense lol
The game is different now, other than the 49ers, SeaChickens, Bears and Texans.... who runs the ball anymore? It's a pass first league.
You know I dont even expect to Alex to elite because we all know thats pretty much not gonna happen. I just want him to be able to hit deep plays when the defense is stacking the box and make them pay for it over the top and keep them honest. Right now we will make the playoffs and a good d coordinator will shut down our run game and thats where alex has to be able to make them pay for it but he cant do it.

Um...he has made the deep plays this season. We're just a couple of flat performances/ bad coaching away from having a perfect season. I can't believe all the calls for Alex's head when we're 5-2.
Share 49ersWebzone