There are 161 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Still, #29 passing is pretty horrible. We have to get better if we're going to make any noise if we make the playoffs.

You are into stats too much. Honestly, I would prefer if we ran the ball more. F*ck passing yards.

We need to work on the pass, if we don't then we will have a repeat of NFCCG

Swain and Hastings aren't back....we are automatically 100000x better

on paper we are better, but not on the field
I think we have played pretty tough competition so far though. Except for the Bills each team has done pretty good this year in a few games. Remember Alex started slow last year and started picking up later in the year right before all the injuries. Expect the same again......the bye will be a good retooling and self scouting time period.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Still, #29 passing is pretty horrible. We have to get better if we're going to make any noise if we make the playoffs.

You are into stats too much. Honestly, I would prefer if we ran the ball more. F*ck passing yards.

We need to work on the pass, if we don't then we will have a repeat of NFCCG

Swain and Hastings aren't back....we are automatically 100000x better

on paper we are better, but not on the field
I think we have played pretty tough competition so far though. Except for the Bills each team has done pretty good this year in a few games. Remember Alex started slow last year and started picking up later in the year right before all the injuries. Expect the same again......the bye will be a good retooling and self scouting time period.

Yeah, good time for the bye.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Man, worst then Lions and Raiders? What till they start stacking the box on our 30 year old RB, because we can't throw.

You mean like the Saints did against us?
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Pick a stat that means more.

What do you mean?

Read my previous post... I broke down why that stat is worthless.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Who cares
Lions are #2 in passing, Raiders are #9, colts are #11
all 3 will not make the playoffs

It means we are in deep s**t if our Defense or ST's has a bad day.

you mean like the saints game last season?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
In order to have a QB "controversy," isn't it necessary to have two viable starting options at quarterback? Does anyone who knows anything about football think that Kaep actually gives us a better chance of winning?
Originally posted by Furlow:
In order to have a QB "controversy," isn't it necessary to have two viable starting options at quarterback? Does anyone who knows anything about football think that Kaep actually gives us a better chance of winning?

Probably not, but this IS NT...since when did anyone have to know anything to post here?
Man, worst then Lions and Raiders? What till they start stacking the box on our 30 year old RB, because we can't throw.

Who cares

i think he means the NYG game

Who cares

Yeah, we will always have that Ace in our back pocket. No worries anymore.

Maybe...but I can point out more games where the defense or STs failed and the offense picked up the slack than he can point out games that we lost because of it...something to do with being 13-3 last season and 5-2 this season.

but by all means, if people want to feel the sky is falling, let them.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

Who cares

Agreed we need to improve the production in the passing attack. But you think the way to do that is to start a 2nd year project QB who has thus far only shown the ability to run?

Maybe...but I can point out more games where the defense or STs failed and the offense picked up the slack than he can point out games that we lost because of it...something to do with being 13-3 last season and 5-2 this season.

Sky is not falling...but we wont go far into the playoffs if we can't get the passing game to help out the run game
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
I think it is time for a reminder about coaching staffs and their duties:

First of all, the Offensive Coordinator is almost always the equivalent of the Chairman of the Board of Directors in most companies. He makes the big decisions, sets the direction, then relies on his underlings to carry out the specifics. The case is much the same in football. Other than in parts of the OTAs and TC, the OC is working with the position coaches so much of the time that there is little time to work with individuals on technique. Consequently, it is not accurate to say "Mike McCarthy did this, and Norv Turner has done that, etc..." The truth is, the 49ers were such a talentless, rudderless ship under McCarthy that there was little time to work with Smith, and it showed. Nolan looked at the offense as a necessary evil. Turner was a bit better and that example is telling. In just a short period of time, AS became a more effective player though not a great deal of technical improvement occurred. Part of that was scheme and part was the fact Norv did spend some time with Alex working on the fundamentals he had never been taught before. Martz is a schemer, not a technician. The rest of the OCs are forgettable.

Secondly, the most important person in terms of teaching technique to a QB is the QB coach, NOT THE OC. Here is where the real crime of Nolan/Singletary lie. At no time during those years did the 49ers have a QB coach who had actually played the position at any level since HS. Cincy was the only other team during those first 6 years that did not have a QB coach that had never played the position. I don't care how much football a guy has seen or played, if you haven't played the position, and understand the complexity of it and how the position needs to be viewed, you CANNOT coach the position effectively. It was AT THIS LEVEL that the 49ers did the greatest disservice to Alex Smith. Not until Mike Johnson arrived did Smith have an every-day tutor that had actually played the position and could teach it. It is IMPORTANT to note that Smith's turnaround started under Johnson. He improved in both technique and efficiency, though the technical improvements were not huge. All of which goes to show how important the position coach is to the individual player as opposed to just the OC.

Now Smith, and the 49ers, have something they have not had at any time during the Smith era; an offensive minded HC that has also played the position and hired position coaches with an established reputation of success in teaching technique as well as game plan. The result has been the best QB play since Jeff Garcia.

It is also important to recognize the efforts of the off-season in which the FO brought in 3 WRs via signings and the draft, and also drafted an explosive RB, which clearly show that the staff recognized a need to improve the receiving end of the passing game. Whether Peyton Manning had been signed or not, the FO had fully recognized that the WR corps was sorely lacking and new blood needed to be brought in. I'll leave the WR picture at this point as that topic has been well-covered in another thread. Suffice it to say, the 49er receivers are nothing special.

So before we go all crazy about switching QBs in the middle of a winning season, look at the bigger picture and realize that a QB switch at this point in the year would be ludicrous.

And after all this, Alex is still displaying the same mentality of what he doesn't like to do.

Sooner or later, after improving all the pieces around a player, that player must be held accountable for displaying the same traits he did when the talent around him wasn't as good.

Is that really what you are seeing? Do you not see how lacking the CURRENT WRs are? Do you not understand how critical they are to the passing game? Did all the moves Baalke made in the off-season in improving that position all pass you by? Can you not see how the quality of the receivers influence the choices made by the QB?

Look at the evidence: Against weak secondaries like Buffalo, the 49ers put up good numbers. Against excellent secondaries like the Giants and the Seahawks, receivers are blanketed. Both of those teams took Crabtree and Friends completely out of the game in MAN-coverage. They rarely had to double anyone other than Vernon Davis, and that was not a full-time deal. What do you expect Smith to do? What change in mentality are you looking for?
Riddle me this... If you have the top 5 running option in the NFL and you have the top 12 passing attack in the nfl together with having arguably the best defense in the NFL...why would you pass more than enough to keep the defense honest or when you need to make a big comeback in a short amount of time?

I can't think of a single good reason. Seriously, if you have a solid rationale here, I'd love to hear it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Sky is not falling...but we wont go far into the playoffs if we can't get the passing game to help out the run game

I'm with 49AllTheTime.
Share 49ersWebzone