LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by sacniner:
No, he got benched because we couldn't get a first down against Houston. You probalby forgot. Hill is a solid backup. Can win a few games, but not throughout a season. He couldn't have done with Smith did last year.

If you think Dilfer is better than Smith, that says a lot. The memories I have of Dilfer on SF are bad. Really bad.

You're showing your blind bias.

They seem pretty comparable to me

Dilfer 1 superbowl ring

Alex 0 superbowl rings

Dilfers best game with the 49ers, against the eventual NFC champion Cardinals of 2007

25 of 39, 256 yards, 2 TDs, No interceptions

Alex Smiths best game, against the NFC South Champ Saints of 2011

24 of 42, 299 yards 3 touchdowns and no interceptions

The difference? It took Alex Smith 8 years to play his best game as a pro

Never mind the fact one was sidelined due to injury, another season wiped out due to injury and the stellar HC's and play callers this team has had over the past eight years...
Maybe Alex Smith will catch the flu so CK can start a game and finally settle this debate
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Smith's limitations become more and more evident as the season goes on. Personally, I'm willing to take a step back to take two forward (possibly). There is no upside from here with Smith. The stuff he struggles with he always struggled with and you can't teach.

*He doesn't see the whole field

*He doesn't have good arm strenght (Thats why he throws deep rainbows instead of lazers down field)

* He's a poor decision maker when faced with multiple options.

* Below average pocket presense (not only does he turn his back to line of scrimmage when scrambling, he runs into the arms of the defense)

There is no doubt Kaep has the potential to become a turnover machine, but its also very possible he can put up points that Smith would never get. Kaep could be the next RGIII ( ) or the next Jay Cutler ( ). With that said, its up to the coaches to groom him in they way they want him to play.

I just dont see Smith doing anything that most QBs cant. So unless Kaep is below starting quality, he'll be just fine. Besides, dont you want to know what we have in him before next years draft? The window is always closing.

You have some valid criticisms. I wish we had someone that was better. That would be awesome. Kaep may have aboove average raw talent, although, we know a lot more goes into being a good QB. The mental aspect. Especially considering Kaep's college and system. It's a risky experiment. I really don't want to try it this year unless we really have to.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Never mind the fact one was sidelined due to injury, another season wiped out due to injury and the stellar HC's and play callers this team has had over the past eight years...

Cool excuse. He still sucks. Dilfer never had a great OC either
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
What will be, will be.
Maybe Alex Smith will catch the flu so CK can start a game and finally settle this debate

Damn, you will judge CK based on one start either way?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Go look at Arods interception directly to Bowman. They were dowm only 8 cost them the game.

But that's different somehow.

The difference is Aaron Rodgers will make up for it by throwing 45 touchdowns or more this year and Alex Smith will throw under 20.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I know there are 2 sides to this debate and many angles. We all love the 49ers and feel passionately about the direction the team should go in. Lets just try to keep this civil and remember we are all 9er fans. Now to the debate. I think for a lot of us it feels like the team is at a crossroads. We have a long break before monday night football and a bye week coming. It seems like if a change is going to be made it will have to be done in these precious weeks. I think even if you are a smith fan you have to be disapointed in his production. I guess the biggest question is can we get more from kaep and still keep turnovers low? I think we can! We run most of the time anyway and kaep is more dynamic at that. We really need to be able to push the ball downfield in our playaction game. Gore and the running backs can only take us so far. Make the change now!

What have you seen from Kaep that makes you think he can do better than Alex?
Kap has taken like 30 snaps and not showed anything to indicate he has promise. We are 5-2, chances of a QB change at this point are zero.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Go look at Arods interception directly to Bowman. They were dowm only 8 cost them the game.

But that's different somehow.

The difference is Aaron Rodgers will make up for it by throwing 45 touchdowns or more this year and Alex Smith will throw under 20.
one and done in the playoffs last year........"stats are for losers"

And Super Bowl winner and MVP the prior year

Stupid stats

And what's the point of this? Everyone knows Rogers>>>>>>>>>>> Smith why is someone even bringing him up
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Smith's limitations become more and more evident as the season goes on. Personally, I'm willing to take a step back to take two forward (possibly). There is no upside from here with Smith. The stuff he struggles with he always struggled with and you can't teach.

*He doesn't see the whole field

*He doesn't have good arm strenght (Thats why he throws deep rainbows instead of lazers down field)

* He's a poor decision maker when faced with multiple options.

* Below average pocket presense (not only does he turn his back to line of scrimmage when scrambling, he runs into the arms of the defense)

There is no doubt Kaep has the potential to become a turnover machine, but its also very possible he can put up points that Smith would never get. Kaep could be the next RGIII ( ) or the next Jay Cutler ( ). With that said, its up to the coaches to groom him in they way they want him to play.

I just dont see Smith doing anything that most QBs cant. So unless Kaep is below starting quality, he'll be just fine. Besides, dont you want to know what we have in him before next years draft? The window is always closing.

This!!

Only once the season is decided do you "see" what you have. Once the post season is guaranteed then you can start mixing things up to see what you've got. Not in the middle of a serious run.

Originally posted by jreff22:
one and done in the playoffs last year........"stats are for losers"

He's a superbowl champion and his team will be in the playoffs ever year for the next 10 years

Cool excuse. He still sucks. Dilfer never had a great OC either

Difference is Dilfer was already developed. Try again

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010. Now a complete 32 games or 2 full seasons worth of games. 32 Games, 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating.

I don't think those numbers suck.
[ Edited by kingairta on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
Damn, you will judge CK based on one start either way?

If he's good, he's good enough for another start
There's no qb contraversy at this time other than the one that some fans have in their mind. Harbaugh said at the beginning of the season that no one was close to Alex. So right now, Kaep is still just a ball of potential. Maybe this off season he can give Alex some compitition...but Kaep starting right now would be very very very bad.
Difference is Dilfer was already developed. Try again

Lol are you serious? It took Alex Smith 8 years to have any success at all
Share 49ersWebzone