LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Anyone that has any RB ahead of Frank is just Crazy. Franks the best and it isaint even close. He will get Perry's record this season. Put frank on any of those championship teams and well, thats just freaking to scary to even think about.

Frank is definately the most recent, but best? I don't like comparing these guys because they all have such different strengths and styles. Craig was one of the best receiving backs ever...maybe the best...and he was an excellent inside/outside runner. Hearst was a faster, smoother Gore but his career was wrecked by injuries. I give him great credit for rehabbing (2 years?) in order to come back...very dedicated. McElhenney was a magician. Very difficult to get a hit on.

I cant really argue with you old timeres about some of these backs. Hearst IMO doesnt deserve to be in the conversation. I loved the guy. Had a poster and everything, and if it wasnt for the injurys who knows, but what ifs dont get him there IMO. Craig for me is the only one that really deserves to be in the conversation.

Keep in mind though frank has always been a great receiver out of the back feild. He was just never used in a creative way in the passing game. Only checkdowns. But in 2006 he had 60+ receptions, while wtill carrying the ball 312 times. With the exception of last season and his rookie year he has always had a decent amount of catches, just no creativity for him in the passing game.

From 2006-2009 Frank broke 1000 yards every season. This was regardless of every team in the league game planning for him and him only. 2000+ all purpose yards in 2006. He is also a great blocker. With the exception of possibly last season, he has always been a above average blocker.

Frank gore did what he does when litterally he was the only guy defenses needed to game plan for. Put him on any of those championship teams, with Walsh, and he would have had 1000 receiving and 1000 rushing atleast once in his career as well.

The one thing i will say is that Frank has never been the best redzone back, but he has not been really used creativly there either. Frank was mismanaged 90% of his career, if not more, and look at the #'s he still put up.

Like i said about some of the older guys, i cant really argue much, as i was either really young or not born, so i guess i gotta take you old timers words for it.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Frank gore
Roger Craig
Joe perry
Hugh Mcelhenny
Ricky Watters
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Frank gore
Roger Craig
Joe perry
Hugh Mcelhenny
Ricky Watters

This would probally be my list as well, with hearst coming in at 6
Joe Perry is in the HOF for a reason. I'm not the biggest fan of the HOF committee and process, but he was an incredibly good player... averaging for his career 5ypc when defenses almost exclusively tried to stop the run. It's impressive.

It's also pretty unlikely Gore or Craig ever gets in.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Oct 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM ]
Close enough, and that's as far as I need to think it over. Exact rankings in this case don't interest me... but Gore is a stud and one of the great ones for us, no doubt.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Frank gore
Roger Craig
Joe perry
Hugh Mcelhenny
Ricky Watters

This would probally be my list as well, with hearst coming in at 6

Yes Frank is top ten, he holds the franchise record in yardage. He is the engine that makes the whole team run. "I have a fever and the only cure is more cow bell!"
LOL...no problem Idaho! We old guys can't remember who we are arguing with anyway so you're safe!

Agree regarding Hearst, just put him in as an example of a great back who had bad luck. Craig would be my number one if I were forced to choose one because he was just so tough to tackle with those knees pumping. DBs hated to see him coming at them. I did not see Perry as it was pre-TV (at my house anyway) and so I just read about him in the sports sections every Sunday.

Gore may move up my list to #1 if he can play a couple more years but consider:

Craig: 4 time All Pro; yards from scrimmage 13,100; three super bowl rings
Gore: 1 time second team All Pro; yards from scrimmage 10,733; two playoff games

Craig's 8 years with the niners: 11,500 yards from scrimmage, and Gore is at the 7 1/2 year mark. So, in the next year and a half Gore has a shot at overtaking Craig's SF years, but I doubt he will catch his career numbers.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM ]
LOL...no problem Idaho! We old guys can't remember who we are arguing with anyway so you're safe!

Agree regarding Hearst, just put him in as an example of a great back who had bad luck. Craig would be my number one if I were forced to choose one because he was just so tough to tackle with those knees pumping. DBs hated to see him coming at them. I did not see Perry as it was pre-TV (at my house anyway) and so I just read about him in the sports sections every Sunday.

Gore may move up my list to #1 if he can play a couple more years but consider:

Craig: 4 time All Pro; yards from scrimmage 13,100; three super bowl rings
Gore: 1 time second team All Pro; yards from scrimmage 10,733; two playoff games

Craig's 8 years with the niners: 11,500 yards from scrimmage, and Gore is at the 7 1/2 year mark. So, in the next year and a half Gore has a shot at overtaking Craig's SF years, but I doubt he will catch his career numbers.

Yards from scrimmage will be tough for frank to catch. Mostly because he hasnt seen the passing game go his way over the last two seasons, BUT, if Harbaugh decides to continue to use him like he did against seattle this week, and frank can keep the wheels turning for a couple more years he may get there. Tough though.

Like i said, IMO Gore and Craig are the two that could be argued as #1. every body else takes a back seat IMO. I personally choose Gore based on what he has done on mediocre teams. I dont think Craig would have accomplished what he did as far as yards from scrimmage had he been in the same offenses as Frank. He would have been great, but at minimum his passing #'s would decrease.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Originally posted by chrisernst82:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
I'm not comparing the two. Gore is a better running back even at this stage of his career.

I said, ON THAT PLAY, hunter would have scored. Watch the replay, the hole was huge. Hunter would have hit the hole, but had the legs to take it all the way (probably to the left corner of the end zone). Of course this is my opinion.

Don't misunderstand what I said in my first post. Frank's heart and vision are UNPARALLELED.

Kendal Hunter has never even had a touchdown run longer than 17 yards in his entire career

Whatever. Missing the point.

So the point is Kendall is faster than Gore. No doubt, but if speed was all it took Carl Lewis would be alot richer right now. To say another player would have done better on any play is irrelevant because you dont know for sure like you said his vision is top notch you cant say the same about Hunter yet. Gore is 29 years old and looking as good as ever he is putting up career numbers in YPC now that he has a line worthy of his skills.

I am not denying Gore has been amazing, and is still amazing. But I think it is OK to acknowledge that with the way our offense is struggling, we needed him to fishing that run, and he simply didnt have the legs/stamina to do it.

His ribs were broken
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by chrisernst82:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
I'm not comparing the two. Gore is a better running back even at this stage of his career.

I said, ON THAT PLAY, hunter would have scored. Watch the replay, the hole was huge. Hunter would have hit the hole, but had the legs to take it all the way (probably to the left corner of the end zone). Of course this is my opinion.

Don't misunderstand what I said in my first post. Frank's heart and vision are UNPARALLELED.

Kendal Hunter has never even had a touchdown run longer than 17 yards in his entire career

Whatever. Missing the point.

So the point is Kendall is faster than Gore. No doubt, but if speed was all it took Carl Lewis would be alot richer right now. To say another player would have done better on any play is irrelevant because you dont know for sure like you said his vision is top notch you cant say the same about Hunter yet. Gore is 29 years old and looking as good as ever he is putting up career numbers in YPC now that he has a line worthy of his skills.

I am not denying Gore has been amazing, and is still amazing. But I think it is OK to acknowledge that with the way our offense is struggling, we needed him to fishing that run, and he simply didnt have the legs/stamina to do it.

His ribs were broken

This. I think i was the only one screaming at the TV, when frank was gassed(from the ribs) and obviously in discomfort, But noone on the sidline seemed to nitice, and he was off for like one play then Wrathman sent him back out. Frank is a warrior and wont take himself out of a game for anything. He had monster runs after the injury, but staff needs to watch Frank closer. He wont tell the staff he is injured or take himself out of a game.

Yards from scrimmage will be tough for frank to catch. Mostly because he hasnt seen the passing game go his way over the last two seasons, BUT, if Harbaugh decides to continue to use him like he did against seattle this week, and frank can keep the wheels turning for a couple more years he may get there. Tough though.

Like i said, IMO Gore and Craig are the two that could be argued as #1. every body else takes a back seat IMO. I personally choose Gore based on what he has done on mediocre teams. I dont think Craig would have accomplished what he did as far as yards from scrimmage had he been in the same offenses as Frank. He would have been great, but at minimum his passing #'s would decrease.

Nothing to argue with there. Remember though, Craig shared the back field with a couple of decent backs during his years (5 years with Rathman) and played both full back and half back extremely well.

Nothing to argue with there. Remember though, Craig shared the back field with a couple of decent backs during his years (5 years with Rathman) and played both full back and half back extremely well.

Good points. Both have almost identical #'s in rushing TD's. Craig has the advantage in Receiving TD's. Craig SEEMS to have alot less fumbles, On the fumbles though, did they keep track of them durring Craigs career? Because his stats show that he had 0 fumbles every year until 1992 where it shows 1 fumble. That cant be correct as he had at the very least the fumble in the post season. Really tough to place these guys, as both situations were so differant, yet both were great backs for us.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This. I think i was the only one screaming at the TV, when frank was gassed(from the ribs) and obviously in discomfort, But noone on the sidline seemed to nitice, and he was off for like one play then Wrathman sent him back out. Frank is a warrior and wont take himself out of a game for anything. He had monster runs after the injury, but staff needs to watch Frank closer. He wont tell the staff he is injured or take himself out of a game.

Remember the 2010 season when he broke his hip, he came back in the game and ran once for like 15 yards (negated by penalty) and again for 5?

He cray.
1. Jerry Rice
2. Joe Montana
3. Ronnie Lott
4. Roger Craig
5. Steve Young
6. Patrick Willis
7. Jesse Sapolu
8. Terell Owens
9. Bryant Young
10. Frank Gore
Gore doesn't have quite the receiving numbers but catches the ball extremely well. Craig always played on very good teams and was a star at that. Gore has had to endure some poor coaching, players, etc. but has still put up very good numbers. I am really enjoying watching him, his heart, passion, and leadership are unquestioned. I would put Gore ahead of Craig, but only by a little at this point. This is coming from a guy who loved and watched Craig in his tenure with the Niners. It's a good debate because both players were/are classy and beloved 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone