LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Until this group wins a superbowl I dont think any of them should be in the top 10.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Gore doesn't have quite the receiving numbers but catches the ball extremely well. Craig always played on very good teams and was a star at that. Gore has had to endure some poor coaching, players, etc. but has still put up very good numbers. I am really enjoying watching him, his heart, passion, and leadership are unquestioned. I would put Gore ahead of Craig, but only by a little at this point. This is coming from a guy who loved and watched Craig in his tenure with the Niners. It's a good debate because both players were/are classy and beloved 49ers.

Good post! Can't go wrong with either guy and both would be near the top of my 9ers list...though it is still too difficult for me even to consider making one!
Frank's vision and patience to let the holes form is unreal! If he didn't have those traits he would only be a decent back up for real at this point in his career. He also knows when to go down and not take unnecessary hits. He is extending his career like a mofo right now, def top ten all time.
The fact this question is being asked tells me some fans need to do some history work. There's been some huge talent on this team through the years.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
The fact this question is being asked tells me some fans need to do some history work. There's been some huge talent on this team through the years.

No one is denying that, but Frank Gore is easily the best 49ers running back of all-time, and def a 1st ballot hall of famer. So yes, that makes him top 10, not top 5 but at least top 10. Keep in mind he has compiled most of his stats on some very bad teams facing 8-9 man fronts.
Gore could never be Roger Craig. Gore is not easily the best running back we've had. Craig never left the field no matter which all pro backs we had on the team, including Wendell Tyler and many others. Walsh would start Craig over Gore. Don't even go there. Love Gore but lets not start smoking too much dope please. Start making the list of ALL TIME NINER GREATS and I'm not sure Gore even makes the top ten at all.

Like Justin Smith said, "stats are for losers."
Gore could never be Roger Craig. Gore is not easily the best running back we've had. Craig never left the field no matter which all pro backs we had on the team, including Wendell Tyler and many others. Walsh would start Craig over Gore. Don't even go there. Love Gore but lets not start smoking too much dope please. Start making the list of ALL TIME NINER GREATS and I'm not sure Gore even makes the top ten at all.

Okay. You and Justin Smith changed my opinion.
It isn't fair to make a list of top ten niners, that is one serious bunch there. Gore barely misses but it doesn't mean he hasn't been a great niner.

Interesting opinion. I ask you this. Could Roger do what Gore has done on the miserably inept offenses that Frank has played on?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Interesting opinion. I ask you this. Could Roger do what Gore has done on the miserably inept offenses that Frank has played on?
This is why I put Gore slightly ahead of Craig. That's not taking anything away from Craig, he was a star in a hall of fame studded offense. Gore is the best RB in Niner history because of what he's accomplished in spite of who's around him.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dugo:
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Gore vs. Craig in their primes, who you got

Damm..I loved watching Craig run.and still don't understand why the HOF is holding back on him But can't help but wonder what Gore would of done on any of those teams..Still Craig was ahead of his time being able to catch out of the back field.. I'd go with Craig just cause different skill sets ...

Roger Graig was the first NFL running back to have a 1,000 yards rushing and a 1,000 yards receiving in the same year.

if I am not mistaken, the only other running back to do that was Marshall Faulk.

Roger should be in the HOF.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]
Craig is no doubt a hall of famer, and a all-time great 49er. But the fact still stands that he played on a very prolific offense, and Gore has put up great numbers as well in piss poor offenses .
Originally posted by Garcia:
Until this group wins a superbowl I dont think any of them should be in the top 10.

Vernon Davis???

Name them
Without a doubt. Gore put up most of his numbers on terrible teams. He played throughout his career during the lowest point of this franchise's history and still put up monster numbers. Up until last year teams would gameplay to stop Gore and he still put up monster numbers. Not to mention one of the best backs in this league to pick up the blitz,). Never once have u heard this man complain about being on s**tty teams. Year after year he went out did his job and did it at a high level. If he only had somewhat of a decent offense, during his career we would be talking HOF not niner top ten, and that is a fact. Behind the goat, Montana, young, and Lott, Gore is probably top 5. He never got the recognition because of the awful teams he was a part of.
Share 49ersWebzone